“Improved, Family Friendly”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 24 April 2012

As an owner, we have been traveling to the Surf Club during Spring Break week (week before Easter) since 2004. Many of the issues raised by others relative to the availability of pool chairs and palapas remain. But what a difference a few years have made. Yes, if you want a "prime" (pool side or direct ocean water view) seat you have to be an early bird during prime weeks like this one. Gone, however, are the days of finding no chairs and fights (literally!). The addition of the adult-only pool, more pool chairs and umbrellas, additional palapas and bimini chairs on the beach have made a world of difference. By mid-week the resort was at 100% occupancy, but you would not have guessed it.

The lazy river pool is a primary draw. Kids love it. So do adults. The kids also love the play ground and the activities. As noted by others, the staff works hard. We have never seen so many people working to keep the place clean. If like one of our party, you are up early, you will see folks scrubbing and washing, and sweeping. Security is also evident with many friendly workers.

Speaking with the Operation’s Manager, there are more improvements to come, including ongoing upgrades to room amenities.

Additional improvement is needed with peak check-in times. Perhaps, an all-hands-on-deck approach (have more front office staff work check-in) would help.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
14  Thank TS26_11
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Aruba Surf Club

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have traded my week at my home location to come to The Surf Club for the past 5 years without one regret. This year was just as nice as years past. I noticed security presence seemed to be greater than I've ever noticed. Thankfully, they were friendly and helpful. Once again the jockeying for seating at the pool and beach was annoying at best with people securing "their spots" as early as 4:30 A.M. Check in was the best ever, with little to no wait. Housekeeping was attentive and very quick to respond. The rooms were relatively clean yet we had a terrible infestation of ants (?) in our living room. I think it's time for the hotel to order new towels for the room, as ours were quite thin. Overall, it was a lovely vacation

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank lleno22
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I am at the Surf Club right now, staying in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa. Aruba is fantastic and this hotel does not disappoint! The grounds are extremely well kept and the staff is friendly and helpful. As for dining on-site, I would definitely recommend going to Simply Fish for a sunset dinner (best meal we have had so far and the view can't be beat!) and the Captain's Galley for lunch (the fish tacos are delicious and the portions are huge!). Although not all restaurants have a printed children's menu, almost all have child-size dishes for cheaper than adult portions...just ask

Helpful hints...

Make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen and snacks because it is extremely expensive to buy here! Sunscreen in the hotel lobby ranged from $11 to $26 a bottle!

Do not bother to bring tubes for the lazy river unless you need something special...they sell them at the beachfront shop for (surprisingly) cheap...only $8 for the sames one I bought at Target at home for $6. I also heard from other guests that departing guests frequently give theirs away on the last day of their trip.

Figure out the chair/palapa tagging thing early...if you don't, you will not get a good spot at the beach or pool.

If you like spas, try out the Coffee scrub and 50 minute massage at the Mandara Spa...heaven!

All in all, the Surf Club is a really great place to take children for vacation, but if it were just the hubby and I, I would probably go elsewhere...the pools are extremely loud and there are kids everywhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank cassie3375
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Grounds are nice enough and clean. Adult pool area is the best area to hang out in during the day if you want to relax away from the ocean. Rooms are very nice and their maintenance is done well. Housekeeping is attentive. The gym is decent if you just need a treadmill...there are some free weights and a couple of basic machines for lifting.

Food is pretty good, but definitely not great.

Service is hit and miss. In most Marriott hotels we've stayed at, every worker we've ever dealt with was knowledgeable, professional, great communication skills, etc. We're not sure why some were absolutely excellent and others couldn't tell you were the nearest bathroom was or barely understand what you are asking for. Those ruin it for the others who do provide excellent service.

We had 4 services done at the spa. Three out of four were horrible, and like the service experience, the fourth service/treatment was wonderful. First, absolutely difficult to communicate with their staff. They barely spoke any English, nor understood. Facial, manicure, and pedicure were way below average. I don't think the woman doin my facial knew what the hell she was doing. The Manu and pedi were so bad that my 3 year old could have done a better job. However, the massage with Pedro was awesome. I was able to tell him which areas I needed help with and he took care of them. He was informative and responded to whatever questions or concerns I had.

We would not come back to this place if/when we come back to this island.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank nromero
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in a 1br villa with full kitchen, washer/dryer, and balcony. Our view was not that great (looked over some trees and to the adjacent timeshare property) but then again I did not pay the upcharge for an ocean-view. We were there the last week in March so many spring break families at the resort. The pool areas are very large so did not feel too crowded and the lazy river feature was a nice plus. Several restaurants on property but all very expensive. When we arrived me and my wife and two teen-agers were pretty hungry so we first looked at the Simply Fish restaurant on the beach of the Marriott Hotel property. Entries were like $35 and up and my kids were not feelin' the menu, so we went to Champions which is inside Marriott Ocean Club next door. We had two burgers, two fishsandwiches, couple of soft-drinks, and two beers...total before tip was $106 (OUCH!). The next day we went to Kung Fui supermarket a couple of miles aways so we could do a few meals in the villa. The resort had activities every day (pool volleyball, beach volleyball, bingo, face-painting, hair-braiding, etc.). Overall, its a great property for families. Unless your you want to simply spend all day lounging by the pool or beach, I recommend renting a car to explore the island (about $45 dollars a day incl insurance).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family