“Polite staff but largely incompedent” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
US
“Polite staff but largely incompedent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

First off, this is a BIG resort. I have stayed at a number of Marriott resorts through the years and I am sad to say this one provided the worse experience I have had.

We were originally placed in a unit with no view and requested a pool view if possible. Our initial room had a broken safe, paint peeling off the wall by the A/C vent (really), and the door stuck so bad I had to "bump" it with my foot each time we entered the room. After 2 days they said they had an alternate room for us and thanked us for leaving our original room early so they could get us into our new room by the early afternoon. We left at 8:30 AM and got back at 4:30 PM and our room was not only not ready, but we did not have a room. On top of that we had no access to our luggage and got to sit by the pool with nothing waiting for a response from the front desk.

The only reason I did not rate this visit as terrible is due to an employee named Jasmine who actually seemed to know what she was doing. We finally got a room in the early evening after we spent another 2 hours waiting by the pool. This type of service is what you might expect for a "budget basement" motel, not a hotel advertising there basic rooms at $500/night.

The good side would be if you have kids. There is a lot of kids there and lots of activities for them. This sort of back-fired on us when my wife got sick and had to spend two days in the room. Some kid(s) were doing the "knock and run" several times during the day on our door. I had to knock on all the doors up and down the hallway and ask parents to curtail this activity just in case their kids were involved. This was not the most pleasant experience we have had on a vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wildbio
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Korean first
Aston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I have a time share at Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando, Fla. In 2011 I exchanged for a week in Aruba and fortunately received a confirmation for February. I had read many negative comments on the web after I received the confirmation and thought about changing. I am glad I did not.

Check in was easy, the room was clean and a good size for my wife and me ( an efficiency ). We got use to the wind tunnel at the entrance to the pool and later found a place to sit that was very comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the lazy river. My kindle, a cocktail and the most relaxing week we have had in a long time. We walked the beach and walked through the Holiday Inn and found a great street with alot of great restaurants. Especially liked Gianni's.

Just received my confirmation for March, 2013 for the Surf Club again. This time we have a one bedroom unit for more space. I also have a timeshare at Oyster Bay in St. Maarten which we use on the even year. Life is too short, enjoy it!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aferg4
glen mills
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My family and I just got back on Friday from a wonderful vacation. The accomodations were fantastic. It was perfect for a family of five (3 boys). The location was excellent. I was able to take a cab to the grocery store($10 each way) and stock up for the week. My only complaint was the cleanliness of the pool and beach. Due to the winds, trash blows around, however there is no one picking up the trash (including employees). The pool area had trash and the beach was filthy. I saw one family picking up trash around the beach area and we continuously did the same. Many straws, cups and cigarette butts on the beach. I saw wrappers and ketchup packets in the pool. The jersey beaches are cleaner. Other than that, it was a fantastic vacation.

Room Tip: Rent a 2 bedroom timeshare from someone and request a higher floor unit.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kim w
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have visited this resort in the shoulder season, and just went back during high season with 8 people and had a great time.(all in a two bedroom) The resort is in a nice location with every amenity at or near the resort. Some of the other reviews are accurate about the amount of people and the chairs. If your visiting for peace and quiet, I would suggest looking elsewhere but if you have kids that want to have a great time, you have found your location. Finally, my only complaint was the wait time at the front desk, it seemed as if everything took forever, I think they need more staff during the week to help with issues other than check in/check out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Marriott is very nice, as usual. Pool was excellent, drinks were great too, didn;t seemed watered down at all. Only gripe and a big one. If you like laying in your chairs from 5AM to 7AM to tag them, then be back down there by 9AM or security takes them off, then this is the place for you. Never before have I thought on a vacation I'd have to get up at 5 or 6 AM to go tag my pool chairs for 3 to 4 hours later. Terrible system. Maybe get more chairs?

Overcrowded, people on top of you the entire time. Like I said great place, beautiful, just over crowded and the alarm clock thing was a real dissappointment.....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends