“Great location, beautiful grounds, but...”

Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Western Washington
“Great location, beautiful grounds, but...”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We just spent a week at the Hyatt, and while there's a lot going for it, I don't think I'd stay here again. Too many niggling little things that I don't expect if I've paid a pretty high price for a good hotel.

The good: when we checked in there was a woman with chilled towels for us to wipe on our faces, which was lovely. They don't charge for parking if you park yourself across the street. There's a good system where you use your room key card to enter and exit the lot and we never had a problem finding a space. We had a room with a partial ocean view with 2 queens (we were traveling with our two children) and on the 7th floor close to the beach we had a great view toward the north end of Palm Beach.

The rooms are small but there is a nice desk arrangement so two people can sit (one on either side); the bathroom has plenty of places to put things, but it would have been great if the little table outside the bathroom (which had the coffee and fixings on it) had a plug so you could plug in the coffee maker and use it there. We had to make coffee in the bathroom by the sink and then put the coffee maker on the floor afterwards. Not a great hassle, but a little thought could have improved things. The coffee is free.

There are plenty of pool chairs (although we didn't spend a ton of time by the pool) and my daughter enjoyed the water slide - nice, but fairly basic, and it's not open all the time the pool is, so you may not be able to use it.

The maid service was good - coffee was replaced, things cleaned up well. We did find the first day they were a little aggressive in deciding what was trash. We had left part of a cinnamon bun in a paper bag on top of the chest of drawers (my daughter's which she planned to finish for snack later) and it was gone. Wasn't a huge deal, but after that we hid things in drawers that we didn't want cleaned up.

The staff were all polite and attentive. They have a business center where you can print your boarding passes (at no charge) when it's time to leave (boo!). We didn't use the casino, so I have no clue about that. There is a nice coffee shop off the lobby where you can get a few things (apples, banans, pastries, coffee, etc.) which is open great hours - 6am to midnight, I think. We often grabbed our after dinner coffee (starbucks) from them on our way back to our room.

There is a large palapa which is available to guests at no charge and we never had a problem finding a space under it when we went to the beach (except for the private function; see the "bad" section for more on that). The only thing you don't get with that is a little table, but for $35 a day - for the individual palaps - I think the big one is the much better deal.

There are several places to get something to drink or eat down by the beach (and charge it to the room, so you don't need cash). I don't recall being asked if I wanted anything by wait staff, so if there is waiter service there, it's pretty spotty.

Palm Beach is very pretty, but very crowded. Tons of people (and chairs), tons of boats and activity in the water. The Hyatt does have a buoy line out around the swimming area so you don't have to worry about the kids being taken out by some speed demon on a jet ski. The water is pretty calm (one evening there seemed to be a bit of an undertow), but there was a fair bit of seaweed some days and it was never clear enough to see your feet on the bottom. Last year were were at Grace Bay Beach (Turks and Caicos) and there's a reason why Grace Bay is number one :)

My daughter loved the parrots in cages on the grounds, one of whom is very talkative "hola" "hi Buddy" and so on. He also did a great wolf whistle which almost got my husband in trouble as two young women walked by!

The bad (or not so good; bad sounds a bit harsh). I knew about the step out balconies, but I really don't like them. The towel card system is a pain. They are only open from 9 to 5pm, so if you need a towel early in the morning you have to do it the night before, or if you come back with wet towels after 5pm you have to leave them in the room somewhere. Is there really such a problem with towel theft at the Hyatt that they have to do this?

The food at the hotel poolside restaurant and the beachside restaurant was barely OK. I ordered an albacore tuna salad sandwich one day expecting it would not be canned tuna - but it was. Another day I ordered roasted vegetable wrap and although the vegetables were OK, none of them were roasted (cucumber, asparagus, peppers). At the poolside restaurant I had a chicken sandwich and the chicken was so overcooked and dry it was tasteless.

When we checked in, the front desk explained that the area of beach to the right was $35 a day and to the left was no charge. It's good they're trying to explain, but it started this feeling of being nickeled and dimmed after paying for an expensive hotel. We knew that the hotel had WiFi only (no wired access in the rooms) but there are two Hyatt sites for the hotel, and one of them said there was free WiFi in the public areas of the hotel, which there isn't. The WiFi is $35 per week per device (we tried to use a travel router that should do WiFi to WAN but could not make it work with WifiAruba's service - that's who provides the Hyatt's WiFi). The WiFi is painfully slow as it is, but we decided to pay for one WiFi per person. They need to do something better about this - with people traveling with iPads and Kindles for the kids as well as their own devices, non-transferrable Wifi (it's connected to your MAC address) at that price per device is just not acceptable.

One afternoon we went down to the big palapa and there were signs everywhere saying it would be closing for a private function at 4pm. I'm sure the people using that would enjoy it, but I don't appreciate being thrown out of a hotel amenity because they want to sell it to someone else. They started setting up around us, and at some point I moved the chairs out onto the beach (by 4:30pm I figured I wouldn't fry in the sun).

Another night we were on chairs closer to the water and the staff putting away chaises said they had to take the chairs to put them away and they'd get us two white plastic upright chairs instead. The guy was polite, but why can't I sit and watch the sunset on the hotel chaises? I watched the guy help two pretty young women take pictures in the setting sun and there were still plenty of other chaises around (he cleaned them up eventually). It made me feel like I was in the way of their clean up by wanting to watch the sun go down, and again, I don't appreciate that sort of treatment from a high end hotel.

The hotel has some nice floats available from the towel hut by the beach. There's no charge, but you can only have them for 2 hours (they say they'll charge you $100 if you don't return it). We were once able to get one of those. How hard would it be to get some more (I can't imagine they cost anything close to $100) so guests could easily have one?

The mini bar - there's a great fridge in the room but you can't use it. There's a sign saying that if you remove things and put your own items in there, a $50 restocking fee will be charged. We used the ice bucket to store some milk, but it's idiotic not to let guests use the fridge.

They ask that you not dry swim things on the balcony "to preserve the aesthetic" but the flimsy line in the bath tub is poorly placed right over the edge - so the wet things drip all over the floor. We managed, but a little more thought in the renovation could have made this a lot easier.

So, not at all a horrible place, but not the delight I had hoped for :)

Room Tip: Upper floors of the partial ocean view have a great view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank jsnover
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Korean first
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Hyatt is such a beautiful hotel. Throughout the property there are waterfalls, talking parrots (one is more talkative than the others), swans, iguanas, various colored fish and a pure ambiance of paradise. On the first morning we did get up at 6:30 a.m to reserve a palapa on the beach, that you had to return to by 11:00 a.m or they would allow someone else to use the location. On the remaining days; we got up later and were still able to get a great location on the beach under a palapa. I am sure this was due to the amount of people staying at the property. Everyday we were able to get floats (complimentary from the hotel) and enjoy the ocean. Every night we went down to the beach and watch the sunset before heading out to dinner. The hotel has torches that are lit along the walkway at night, that set the mood for the evening. One morning we had Palms Restaurant buffet $24 pp and the food was great. We were able to reduce beverage cost by purchasing alcohol from a mini mart down the street across from the Holiday Inn. We spent 6 nights here and didn't want to leave. This hotel has it all; Starbucks, restaurants, casino and shops. There are plenty of dining options in walking distance and we tried a different place every meal. The internet is $10 for 24 hours and $35 for the week. The concierge was very nice in providing recommendations, booking restaurant reservations and providing us small maps to get us to the other locations we wanted to visit. In front of the concierge there is a self service kiosk that will allow you to select the type of food you, a full menu and dress code. This was very beneficial considering we didn't want to dress up some evenings.
We were able to book watersport activities right there on the beach. These businesses accept credit cards, but charge an extra fee; so we decided to use cash for activities.
The hotel staff from the front desk agent to those working on the beach were all very nice and made our entire stay very pleasant. We met some of the most friendly people and made new friends with the hotel staff.
Our hotel room was very spacious and clean. We had a 3rd floor pool/slight ocean view and the view was amazing. The only thing that could be improved is the balcony. It would have been nice to sit on the balcony; however you can only step out and the space is very small.

Overall we enjoyed every moment in Aruba and will definitely stay at the Hyatt again. We would like to also commend Xiomara and Diet for going the extra mile to make our experience extra special.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TXLady10
nj
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Hyatt is a must! Here right now don't listen to what you hear the Hyatt is the only place to stay! The pool, the beach, and the food are alll great! The hotel has been renovated and what a great job everything is so eye catching. You will pay more money but only stay here you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank chrissy1970
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for your warm and positive comments about Hyatt Regency Aruba, Casino, and Spa . We truly appreciate your insights and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warm Regards,

O Fallon
Reviewed 4 April 2012

After booking and cancelling at a different property, we bit the bullet and spent a little more to stay at the Hyatt. Sooo glad we did! The resort is gorgeous! The grounds are a tropical beauty and my kids enjoyed seeing the birds, fish, black swans, and lizards. The open lobby is uber cool in its modern design and really sets the tone for your vacation in paradise. Of course, you are in an island at the high end hotel, so the food and beverages are pricy. There is a water fountain near the beach bar where you can refill your water bottles. (I discovered this on the second to last day.) Bring plenty of your own sunscreen as I paid $23.25 in the gift shop for ONE bottle after running out on the last day. We ate dinner in the hotel the first night and wandered down the road thereafter. My kiddos visited the smoothie bar every day enjoying a frosty tropical drink poolside or at the beach.
I read about difficulties with obtaining the beach huts. As such, I emailed in advance and arranged to rent one for the duration of our stay. Pastey white skin and the equator don’t mix; it was a great investment. The weather is hot but the constant breeze keeps you very comfortable. In fact, you can use a light jacket in the evening. The only complaint I could pass along is that the walls to the hallways are paper thin. The resort posts “quite zone” signs at the top of the hallways for night hours, but it didn’t really help. Normal voices could be heard very clearly in the room. However, we didn’t hear a peep from our neighboring rooms. Also, the frosted glass window in the contemporary bathroom was better on paper. If you have anyone visiting the potty in the middle of the night, every one will be in the light. Having said that, I’d stay here again in a heartbeat. The rooms were crisp and clean. Additionally, all of the staff were very respectful and made an effort to use our name when speaking to us.
I’m not sure I can braid hair on the beach, but did consider a new career as a taxi driver to offset my departure. However, I departed as planned and am now longing for the soft, white beaches and turquoise waters. Unless you arrive with only your swimmie, you do need to take a taxi ($25) to/ from the airport. I planned on using the $1 bus identified on the Hyatt website, but they don’t allow luggage on the bus. As a potential future Aruban taxi driver, I understand!

Room Tip: I had a basic poolside / ocean view room on 2nd floor - was noisey but beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank P C
Dear guest,

We truly appreciate the great post to TripAdvisor and want to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the world. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again soon. Thanks again

Kind Regards,

Matteson, Illinois
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Hotel in Aruba. The hotel was recently renovated. It was immaculate. Casino, drug store,jewelry store,and several boutiques. The hotel had several nice restaurants. The Sunday morning special was the bum. It was delicious with lots of choices and plenty of mimosas. The one thing I was dissapointed in was there was no balcony. The room was a nice size.

Room Tip: We had connectin room on the 4th floor, with no noise problems.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Greetings from the Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent girls get away vacation and for taking your time to leave a review. I echo your sentiments with regard to our exceptional service team and especially your positive comments of our very famous Sunday Brunch.

We look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Warm Regards,

#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,809 reviews
1.1 km away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,657 reviews
0.4 km away
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.5 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,408 reviews
5.5 km away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK