New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Aruba Harmony Apartments Suites & Hostel
New York City, New York
“Not worth it....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We actually traveled in January of 2011 and had a terrible experience, but if it weren't for the employees at the time, I would have left.

First off, it was hard to find. The natives couldn't find the place. Good thing we are good on the road and learned our way around (that was not our first time in Aruba so we were okay with trekking it a bit). We get there an have a room with an itsy bitsy bed. I paid for a king sized and expected to get that. I was told that they try to "accommodate" requests as such. I PAID for a KING size, not an "accommodation" size. Then we had to move midway through our trip there. It was just a mess. The owner tries to sugar coat things too.

Just as everyone states, there is no hot water and limited use of the AC as it was mentioned that it is an eco friendly "resort". Nothing about this place is a resort except for the nice pool and patio area. The rooms are small and very antiquated, you could get charged for anything from breaking one cup to using the AC too much. The beds are not comfortable and there is a smell too. I mean come on, you are on vacation, you shouldn't have to worry about all the 'hidden fees'. Anyway, the employees at the time were very nice and we had a great time with them.

I'd rather pay the extra and stay up by the high rises or boutique low rises. At least I know I would be much more comfortable and not have to worry about anything else.

I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: The only good room is the one in the corner by the "love-bird" wicker chairs.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank HelenasMommy
arubaharmony, Guest Relations Manager at Aruba Harmony Apartments Suites & Hostel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for all your compliments!

Yes our employees are very well trained to make your stay comfortable and unforgettable,
thank you for mention this,..
Yes all our guest love the " love bird seat"..
But we have 3 more " romantic spots" on our resort, under the gazebo, beside the pool and under Mr. Mango tree!!

Directions:
When guests book Harmony, they are requested to mail us flight information and time of arrival.
In return we offer pick up service from airport or/ and send a road map with directions.
Sorry you miss this opportunity.

Beds:
We can really accommodate all kind of bed types!
But ....Only with direct bookings.
In other cases, you can only request...
And if available, we accommodate that.
Tip:
send us an e mail, and ask for it before arrival.
Of course we will help you!

No extra costs:
Upon arrival we require a refundable security deposit of $ 100.
This amount is fully refundable upon check out, if the room is left like the way you got it.
Like in all other hotels, we keep the damage off from the security deposit on missing or broken
items and damages at our inventory.

Style:
All our rooms have different decoration and style.
You got the art-deco room, yes it looks a bit antique.
If you had request a modern room, our employees ware more then happy to accommodate you in room of your style.

Eco friendly "resort".
Yes our resort is ECO friendly and small.
No mass tourism at our place.
Only personal touch, like you write that you had such a nice time with our employees!
Air-co use is included, for normal use, so when you are in your room.
Water is always Luke warm, and need to be closed after using.
We ask our guest to help us to save our environment.
We use only natural cleaning and pest control, yes they have a different smell.

Extra costs:
This are no hidden costs, you get what you paid for.
Upgrade is possible for a small surcharge.
Refundable deposit is required, this are not costs, but a deposit.
There is always a strong wind in Aruba.
Yes we do charge on broken items.
Our price is low, so yes we charge the guests on missing items and antique souvenirs taken by accident, from the room .
We have a small shop at our reception, you can buy there souvenirs form Aruba.

Thank you for your attention.

Guest Relation Manger Aruba Harmony Apartments
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I had a lovely time in Aruba Apartments. The owner, Barbara, is extremely kind-hearted and really cares about her guests as if they were family. She took me around the island, showed me the nicest places,introduced me to her friends... All of this made thar I gained a friend in Aruba. Thanks a lot for everything, Barbara! I hope to be able to visit again soon!

• Stayed January 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
arubaharmony, Manager at Aruba Harmony Apartments Suites & Hostel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012

Thank you!

Yes you also ware such a nice guest, looking forward to meet wiht you again.
Thank you for the photo's.
We have printed them out and hang them in the reception!
See you soon and cheers!

Barbara
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

The actual room was nice and comfortable and the grounds are nice enough. We made a reservation on Expedia as package and it was confirmed but they didn't have the right room ready when we arrived. They put us up in another place for a night which was fine.

I'm still on the fence with the manager/owner women. She was friendly and we had an honest situation but I was always instinctively weary and intrusting.

Aruba was a $hithole and i know I will not return. Hawai'i and Mexico are the 4hiznit and I've learned my lession.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind respond.

If you would like to explore whole Aruba, we recommend a car.
Because Aruba has so many beaches and special places to visit, but this is not a must.
Harmony offers transportation, there is a bus stop on the corner, and all is very nearby you can easily walk..

Harmony is located between down town and the beaches, with bus stop, restaurants, supermarkets etc, just on the corner.

Yes Aruba is small when you compare it with Mexico, but it has own charm.
There are guest returning over 25 years every year..

All is question of taste.

Thank you for writing good and nice experience with our place.

Guest Relations Aruba Harmony Apartments
Freeport, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

Four days before going to this place I have already stayed in a hotel near the beach and experience all the fun benefits it has to offer. But my stay on that hotel got cut short because of over booking so I need to find an alternative place to stay. I found Aruba Harmony Apartment. This place is a great place for an adventurer who likes to walk and explore the residential areas of Aruba. It is not near the beach so you need to rent a car or ride a bus or else walk to get there (aprrox. 7 min. drive). It would be best to book all your activities with transportation pick up and return. The place is well secured and in a good neighborhood. The management is very helpful and kind enough to give me a free ride at the back trunk of their SUV when I miss my activity bus pick up. They are friendly and threat you like family when you show some respect. Overall it is a good experience to explore and meet new friends. - Moonrays of NY

Room Tip: Grand Suites looks nice
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank moonrays4
arubaharmony, Owner at Aruba Harmony Apartments Suites & Hostel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear guest,

Yes for us it felt the same..

You and your family will always be very welcome to stay with us!

Looking forward to meet with you again..any time...

Team Harmony
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

I still cannot believe all the things that played out in my brief stay here. They ultimately all came down to the integrity, well, lack-there-of, of the owner. I wouldn't trust her for a minute. I have NEVER had an experience like this in 15 years of travel to even the most remote locations. First of all, the hotel is posted as having "close to it all convenience," but even the cab driver said, "wow, that's far away," when I told him where I was staying. It was. When I arrived, I explained my concerns to the owner, being that I didn't have a car, and she was quite rude is how she addressed them, treating me like I was an idiot. "But you ARE close to everything, what don't you understand? You don't look happy. What's wrong?" When I explained that I might need to change or cancel my reservation, she kept just ignoring my statements, and kept just trying to get me to pay. Then, when I hadn't even gotten to my room, she was already trying to convince me out of my next two accommodation locations, telling me she can "work something out with them. They're so far away. Why do you want to stay there?" She continued to discredit the next place I had a reservation, "Yes, the owner is very sweet, she's a dear friend of mine, but there's nothing to do there. If you want to be that far away, that's up to you." To make this even more frustrating, every time I asked how to get somewhere, she would say "Oh that's too far away. You can't walk there." So for my three nights, I was basically stuck in that tiny complex Then, to be even more absurd, she tried to get me to pay her a deposit for a scuba package I had arranged directly with the shop! I had been in contact directly with the company for a week, but she kept trying to make me pay HER a finder's fee (or a "deposit" as she was calling it) for it. Absurd. And she was so devious as to switch to dutch when she called the company, thinking I couldn't understand her, and she was trying to demand THEM to PAY HER for making the phone call! Last but not least, she tried to coerce me into paying her to drive me to my next location! "Well, I can drop you at the bus stop, which will be $1, or you can take a taxi, but that will be $20, or I can bring you for $15." It turns out the location wasn't that far, and wouldn't have cost $20 by cab. Thankfully I was able to make other FREE arrangements. The whole experience was just one negative moment after another, where it was clear she was just trying to get more money from me. I understand you need to run a business, but I would never stay there again. It's affordable, but I would rather pay more money, and get more business integrity.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank onlyflatonmaps
arubaharmony, Guest Relations Manager at Aruba Harmony Apartments Suites & Hostel, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Sorry about all those misunerstanings.

We have very enthousiastc trainees, who are so happy and willing to help you and provide you with all information and help about Aruba.

Maybe they overdue, but they need to learn right?

Anyway, we are glad that you had a very nice time in aruba and ur beautyful beaches.

Reagrds

Team Aruba Harmony

Travellers are raving about these Oranjestad hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
1.5 km away
1.9 km away
Hidden Eden Aruba
Hidden Eden Aruba
#3 of 12 in Oranjestad

Been to Aruba Harmony Apartments Suites & Hostel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK