“I want to go BACK”
other traveller has booked this property
Beach within a 6-minute walk Bedroom
Hammock
Kitchen Area
Living Area
West Indian Whistling Ducks
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Katrin E
Berlin
“I want to go BACK”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 for a stay in September 2013
people found this review helpful

Well, I guess my title says it: I really want to go back to stay with Gabi and Douglas at Yepton Cottages again!

I have been back home for 2,5 weeks now and I miss my time there!

Ok, what to tell you? First, before I decided to book a cottage I read the comments on different internet sites. I actually couldn`t believe that there were only positive comments. You usually find one or two that were not satisfied (if for real or not-so-real reasons). Ok, I thought, I give it a try since everything sounded so perfect for what I was searching for (relaxing, self catering, beach, no entertainment through a hotel).

Gaby gave me a lot of information in advance (cost of a taxi from the airport to Yepton etc). That was very helpful!

When I arrived at Yepton Cottages I was welcomed by Gaby and Douglas in such a wonderful way that I immediately felt like coming home (not to forget the bottle of white wine as a welcome gift).

After the first chat with Gaby I entered my cottage and I knew, I would be fine the next 8 days. After accommodating myself and getting unpacked, Gaby took me to the supermarket (you can get everything there and won`t miss anything). On our way back we stopped at a little booth to get fresh fruit. Seriously: I will not eat mango in Germany again – now I know how it is suppose to taste! While driving Gaby already gave me a lot of information about the island and some activities.

Back at Yepton I just unpacked and fell asleep until the next morning. Waking up early and having a cup of coffee sitting on the wonderful front porch of the cottage, I observed pelicans fishing, some ducks, a lot of little funny birds, a mungo and my two new gecko-friends. I felt being in paradise.

The property is not huge, but you have enough space in between the cottages and a nice pool for refreshment in the middle and half surrounded by trees, so you can get some shade. Just the right size – you will never have 20 neighbors. The estate is very well-kept and has beautiful plants / flowers on it.

There is a little lake where you can watch all the wildlife and it just perfectly fits into the scenery.

A few words to my cottage: I lived in no.2, which is one of the small ones – big enough for 1-2 people. There is a huge and comfy bed, a very well equipped kitchen (not to forget the big gas grill on the porch), a really nice walk-in shower in a new bathroom. There is also a sitting area and a TV /DVD player (but honestly: I just watched the news a few times and that was it). It is all with a/c and a fan. It is all very clean and well-kept. The fridge and freezer are huge – enough to store all your groceries. Besides towels and beach towels you will even find beach chairs and a cooler to take along to the beach. And for those who cannot be without the internet: there is free WiFi on the property. And you will receive a local cell phone for your stay. I personally spent a lot of time on the porch – reading and relaxing.

Ok, the beach: Yepton Cottages has no own beach access, which was totally fine with me. The next beach access is just a 5 minute walk away. You need to cross the lobby a hotel, but everyone knows if you are staying with Gaby and Douglas. The beach is very nice and you always will find a free spot since it is not overcrowded. I spent there a lot of time including meeting new and nice people from all over the world.

One morning in the beginning of my stay, Douglas came over and gave me an overlook to all the possible activities on the island. He knows so much about the island, the people and the whole Caribbean since he has been around for a while J He can tell you about all the wildlife and nature. And he is a good story-teller – I could listen for hours. As well he gave me some tips for tours. Since I actually came to Antigua just to relax and knew a few corners of the island from a short stay in the past, I just decided on a sailing-circumnavigating tour of Antigua. Gaby booked the tour for me. It was a whole day trip and the nice thing: they picked me up and dropped me off at the nearby beach. If you plan on touring the island a rental car would be a good idea. Gaby and Douglas will organize it for you if you ask.

Well, after giving a overview about the Cottages and my stay I would like to write a few words about Gaby and Douglas:
They are just wonderful! They make you feel welcomed and do everything to make your stay perfect! During my stay they were so kind to take me along for dinner one night and I really enjoyed it. Having fish&chips and wine near the beach in the evening - it was a fun night!
They always have time for a chat and give you so much information and they share a lot with you. It is like being part of the family.
With Gaby I had fun times, I really enjoyed – won’t give too many detailed information – and it was awesome.

My conclusion: if you look for a wonderful self-catering estate in a beautiful setting on a gorgeous island with very friendly and helpful people including heart-warming hosts: stay at Yepton Cottages! You will not regret it! I always judge the places I stay at with the following question:
“Would you go back and stay there again?” Even though I like a lot of places, this place is one on the rare ones, where I would go back times and times and times without even thinking about!

Dear Gaby and Douglas: thank you again and hope to see you again at Yepton Cottages!
Hugs, Katrin

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The hosts, the setting, the cottage
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
The Hague

Older travelers Rugged travelers
London
Reviewed 17 June 2012 for a stay in May 2012

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing