See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I loved it at the Grand Royal Antiguan, the beach is the best on the Island, the Hotel was clean and well kept, the rooms were very nice with a large bathroom, every room has a balcony, The staff were very friendly and always asking if you need anything, I have been there 6 times and will be going back again hopefully soon.

Room Tip: ask for Ocean View but all rooms facing even the bay are nice
4  Thank Shari B
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We have just returned from our 7th visit to Antigua and the Grand Royal Antiguan Resort. If you want a true Caribbean experience in all aspects of your vacation, this is the island and the resort for you. Warm friendly staff in all aspects - the front desk, the wait and kitchen staff, maintenance and beach monitors. Food is excellent - home made pastries and breads and an excellen menu selection featuring the best of the island and for those who prefer home style meals. The beach is the best on the entire island and the view on Deep Bay is one of the best in the entire Caribbean. Locvation wise it is convenient to St. John's for duty free and local shopping.

3  Thank shariandrob
Reviewed 30 April 2012

After reading some of the horrendous views posted on Tripadvisor I was dreading visiting the place. I was on a sports tour with my school from England and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by how good the hotel was. The hotel is situated magnificently as it is only a 10 minute drive from Antigua's capital St.John's and also has the most wonderful beach.

The two real downsides for me were that some of the staff were extremely unhelpful and had quite a lazy and boring attitudes towards our team. Some of my friends were staying at the Pineapple Beach Resort on the other side of Antigua and told me that nobody wants to work at this hotel due to it being very empty as it is only regularly used for flight cancellations. Some of the bar staff and waiters were very enthusiastic and helpful but the employees at reception really have to buck up their attitudes.

The other downside was the fact that there were sea urchins on the beach. I know this was no fault of the hotel but when one of my friend's got part of one stuck in his foot one of the waitresses said he was going to die (he didn't) which was very nice. I have to admit the man who runs the beach was very attentive and worked efficiently to get the sea urchin out of my firend's foot. He regularly shouted "I need some urine" as it gets rid of the needles from the sea urchin.

The pool is cleaned every day and is of a nice temperaturte and is large enouigh for people to be playinmg games whle others can swim some lengths. The hotel also has a gym which is quite old-fashioned but works and has weights, cross trainers and treadmills etc...

The hotel also has excellent Apple Mac's. The staff say you are only allowed on the computers for 30 minutes a day but if you are quiet you can easily use the computer for 1 hour and a half-2 hours.

The rooms are very pacious and have T.V.'s ,conditioning two double bed, a modern bathroom, and a fridge. Our room also had a stunnnig balcony which overlooked the lagoon and beach. The rooms are quite old-fashioned but are still of at least average quality. The TV signal within the hotel is quite poor however, the Tv's do work even though we had to get a replacement one.

Finally,the beach is stunning. A long endless beach with beautiful golden-white sand which stretches out for miles. The sea is a stunning blue with catamarans situated in the bay (me and my tour group went on a catamaran cruise. It is fabulous I would suggest going. You can go snorkelling, see Eric Clapton and Giorgio Armani's houses and go to another beach as well as having an excellent buffet lunch and as many drinks as you want). The food at the hotel was satisfactory with breakfast consisiting of fruit, cereal, bacon, sausage and pancakes and dinner was a wide variety such as a barbeque or buffet such as Jerk Chicken. Lunch was mainly consisting of pizza and burgers.

Overall, this hotel is ok, I wouldn't go rushnig back but it is worth a try. The entertainment is rubbish as all they have are some tennis courts but it is well wroth going just for the beach.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony facing the beach and lagoon and go on a catamaran cruise
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank TrescoTekkers
Reviewed 29 April 2012

i came here on a school sports tour. The hotel was very empty but that was great for us!! Only one down fall was that they did not have many facilities at night but as we was with a big group we entertained ourselves. The food was AMAZING and with all inclusive bands it was a very enjoyable stay. The fruit punch is the best drink in the world i would walk back for it. The private beach is lovely with great views and also a great view from my balcony (room 410) the staff were extremely friendly with a great vibe in the hotel. Gave me an excellent experience of my first time in the west indies cant wait to come back!!!

Room Tip: choose a room on high level for a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ben r
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I visited Antigua over easter as a family member who was native to the island had passed away therefore this was not a holiday it was a very sad time. I had stayed at this hotel a few years ago and I felt it would be the best place to stay as I knew it was well situated for St Johns.

Our party consisited of my self my husband and my mother in law. I contacted the hotel direct to book and I also gave them the reason for our visit. Right from the word go all the staff showed both sympathy and empathy toward us. I can honestly say that from the housekeeping to the managers the level of kindness was consistent. In particular my Mother in law who is elderly and due to a number of factors did suffer quite badly during this time found the attention given to her needs very heart warming indeed. The hotel were even able to loan us a wheelchair to help my Mother in Law with her mobility.I would mention many names of the individual staff that went out of their way to do what ever they could to support us but then I would be listing a lot of people. I will be e mailing the General Manager direct to ensure that I do name these people to him however it was just about everyone that we came into contact with. In total we were at the hotel for 23 nights so you can imagine we can give a real overview of this hotel over a period of time.

OUR ROOM was on the 7th floor which was serviced by at least 3 elevators therefore not a problem to get my Mum in Law up and down ! We had the most marvelous view from our balcony of the lagoon and the sea which was both stimulating and spiritual. We sat out on the balcony daily just watching the sky the sea and the ships sail by. The sunsets and the sunrises were so wonderful to witness I will never forget them. Because this was not a holiday and because our party was in need of quiet and peace and time to think this balcony was just what we needed to bring all our thoughts together and to remember someone that we had just lost. Our room was kept meticulously clean by our housekeeping and as I mentioned before this person was as concerned and kind as everyone else. It has been mentioned by another reviewer that she had not had a hairdryer in her room well we did (a good one) and if I had not had one I would have asked for one and I know that I would have been given one asap.

The OVERALL CLEANLINESS of the Hotel was exceptional even the shared toilets by the beach and in the main foyer were so clean and every detail was covered ie the toilet roll everyday was 'folded and pointed' ! The gardeners were out everyday come rain or shine cleaning the pathways and maintaining the grounds and they always said good morning with a smile.

THE POOL was cleaned everyday that we were there and again the gentleman doing this was so very friendly. The security staff were friendly and on duty and ready to help you with any questions or help that you might need.. with a smile ! Both the Lagoon Restaurant and the Andes staff were nothing short of exceptional. Both the front of house staff and the kitchen staff.

THE BREAKFASTS were really good sometimes we had buffet but sometimes it was by order due to the number of guests. The buffet was brilliant lots of very good food and you could help yourself to as much as you would like and equally when we had to order it was so good !!! We had plenty to eat and the kitchen staff cooked the food exactly as you wanted it to be. I have to mention the home made banana bread it was so tasty I really do want that recipe ! Got to mention the fresh fruits which were so sweet and delicious and fresh. The front of house staff were both professional and friendly a perfect balance. On the day of the funeral the staff managed to ensure we had an early breakfast and offered to give us something to carry out as they were worried My Mum in Law had not had enough to eat I am not sure how many Hotels would offer such a caring service are you ?

THE LUNCHES we did not eat too often at lunchtime as the breakfast was so big we hardly had room but we did take our Niece and Nephew (teenagers who are native to the island) quite often to Andes for lunch and they enjoyed it very much they did go for the usual burger and chips but with this you got the most amazing homemade coalslaw. The soups were delicious again HOMEMADE ! On our last day we did have lunch and we went for a pizza and to be honest I did not expect much just a pizza from the feezer but this is not what I got they gave us a HOMEMADE pizza coalslaw and salad all of which was delicious.

DINNER we ate dinner on most nights as my mum in law was very tired in the evening so we did not often go out. We experienced the buffet dining and the al la carte we loved the buffet but again it did depend on the amount of guests staying at any particular time and we managed to work our way through tthe al la carte menu there was always something we could eat. (fish dishes being a particular favourite with my mum in law) I am a vegetarian and although there was only one main that I could order from the menu the waiting staff told me if I wanted anything different just tell her earlier in the day and the kitchen staff would do it ! I really felt that all the staff would have done their utmost to ensure you enjoyed your meal.

THE DRINKS I must just mention the amazing fruit drinks Coconut Crush, Virgin Coladas,Fruit Punch they were out of this world and served with a cherry!

THE BEACH well what can I say I'm not so sure I want to tell you all this as this beach really is a secret..... yes it is one of the best beaches on the island I mean it. My husband's family are from Antigua so we should know. Deep Bay is so beautiful it takes your breath away. Yes there are a lot more beaches but Deep Bay is the beach for me.

VALUE FOR MONEY based on my recent research this hotel really did offer value for money. I wanted to say that after the funeral we were as a family able to relax and enjoy our time with the help of this hotel and we did have many laughs and happy memories to take back with us.

PREVIOUS VISIT IN 2006 my husband and I visited our family in Antigua and had a package holiday which included this hotel we had a great time and I remembed the staff were caring and helpful then too. I do wish the Hotel well with getting back into the 'package deal' however do not over look this Hotel it is still very easy to book flight and hotel independently.

TRIPADVISOR I am a regular reviewer and have travelled to many countries. I do not often give such a 'glowing review' however what you have read here is my experience and it represents an acurate portrayal of my time at this resort.

FINAL THOUGHT my mum in law is getting on and has said to us she will not be able to visit the island again (born in Montserrat but lived in Antigua before moving to Britain in the 60's) I am so glad that she was treated so well and was able to take home with her many positive experiences and happy memories. I want to thank the staff for the part that they played in this.

My husband and I will be returning and will be staying at the Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a room which faces the lagoon/sea the view from the balcony is amazing.
6  Thank broganLeicester