“Great Hospitality”

Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I recently visited the beautiful Island of Antigua to be a judge at the 1st Ever Antigua Barbuda Smokin’ Hot BBQ Culinary Competition (http://www.gulftolakeschefs.com/antigua2012.htm). The competition was held at the Antigua Barbuda Hospitality Training Institute. During my visit I had the pleasure to stay at the Royal Grand Antiguan Beach Resort. The hotel is located in an area called Five Islands. My room was on the 7th floor and each morning I was able to enjoy watching the sun rise. Antigua is one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean and I enjoy visiting there. The room was very nice and the amenities were adequate. The bed was very comfortable and had no problem sleeping at night.
Each morning I had breakfast in there restaurant and Andrea my waitress was OUTSTANDING! She is why I continue to return to Antigua. Each morning she went out of her way to make me feel welcome. The restaurant, like many is located outside near the water. The landscaping at the resort is fantastic. No matter where you are on the property it is very beautiful. I met the General Manager Mr. Ted Isaac. He is new the Royal Antiguan and he explained some of the changes he is planning. In the evening when I would return I would usually have cold refreshment at the lobby bar. Just like the restaurant, the bar staff was fantastic. Mr. Joseph the evening front desk attendant took care of my technical needs.
I had a great stay at the Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort and would have no problem staying there again. The only negative comment I can say is I do not like the charges for using the internet. It irritates me when hotels and resorts add on that charge. I travel quite a bit for business and I am very much aware of incidental charges. I realize it is a small charge, but I try to stay at properties that do not charge for this service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank ChefJeff

Reviewed 10 May 2012

I loved it at the Grand Royal Antiguan, the beach is the best on the Island, the Hotel was clean and well kept, the rooms were very nice with a large bathroom, every room has a balcony, The staff were very friendly and always asking if you need anything, I have been there 6 times and will be going back again hopefully soon.

Room Tip: ask for Ocean View but all rooms facing even the bay are nice
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shari B
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We have just returned from our 7th visit to Antigua and the Grand Royal Antiguan Resort. If you want a true Caribbean experience in all aspects of your vacation, this is the island and the resort for you. Warm friendly staff in all aspects - the front desk, the wait and kitchen staff, maintenance and beach monitors. Food is excellent - home made pastries and breads and an excellen menu selection featuring the best of the island and for those who prefer home style meals. The beach is the best on the entire island and the view on Deep Bay is one of the best in the entire Caribbean. Locvation wise it is convenient to St. John's for duty free and local shopping.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shariandrob
Reviewed 30 April 2012

After reading some of the horrendous views posted on Tripadvisor I was dreading visiting the place. I was on a sports tour with my school from England and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by how good the hotel was. The hotel is situated magnificently as it is only a 10 minute drive from Antigua's capital St.John's and also has the most wonderful beach.

The two real downsides for me were that some of the staff were extremely unhelpful and had quite a lazy and boring attitudes towards our team. Some of my friends were staying at the Pineapple Beach Resort on the other side of Antigua and told me that nobody wants to work at this hotel due to it being very empty as it is only regularly used for flight cancellations. Some of the bar staff and waiters were very enthusiastic and helpful but the employees at reception really have to buck up their attitudes.

The other downside was the fact that there were sea urchins on the beach. I know this was no fault of the hotel but when one of my friend's got part of one stuck in his foot one of the waitresses said he was going to die (he didn't) which was very nice. I have to admit the man who runs the beach was very attentive and worked efficiently to get the sea urchin out of my firend's foot. He regularly shouted "I need some urine" as it gets rid of the needles from the sea urchin.

The pool is cleaned every day and is of a nice temperaturte and is large enouigh for people to be playinmg games whle others can swim some lengths. The hotel also has a gym which is quite old-fashioned but works and has weights, cross trainers and treadmills etc...

The hotel also has excellent Apple Mac's. The staff say you are only allowed on the computers for 30 minutes a day but if you are quiet you can easily use the computer for 1 hour and a half-2 hours.

The rooms are very pacious and have T.V.'s ,conditioning two double bed, a modern bathroom, and a fridge. Our room also had a stunnnig balcony which overlooked the lagoon and beach. The rooms are quite old-fashioned but are still of at least average quality. The TV signal within the hotel is quite poor however, the Tv's do work even though we had to get a replacement one.

Finally,the beach is stunning. A long endless beach with beautiful golden-white sand which stretches out for miles. The sea is a stunning blue with catamarans situated in the bay (me and my tour group went on a catamaran cruise. It is fabulous I would suggest going. You can go snorkelling, see Eric Clapton and Giorgio Armani's houses and go to another beach as well as having an excellent buffet lunch and as many drinks as you want). The food at the hotel was satisfactory with breakfast consisiting of fruit, cereal, bacon, sausage and pancakes and dinner was a wide variety such as a barbeque or buffet such as Jerk Chicken. Lunch was mainly consisting of pizza and burgers.

Overall, this hotel is ok, I wouldn't go rushnig back but it is worth a try. The entertainment is rubbish as all they have are some tennis courts but it is well wroth going just for the beach.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony facing the beach and lagoon and go on a catamaran cruise
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank TrescoTekkers
Reviewed 29 April 2012

i came here on a school sports tour. The hotel was very empty but that was great for us!! Only one down fall was that they did not have many facilities at night but as we was with a big group we entertained ourselves. The food was AMAZING and with all inclusive bands it was a very enjoyable stay. The fruit punch is the best drink in the world i would walk back for it. The private beach is lovely with great views and also a great view from my balcony (room 410) the staff were extremely friendly with a great vibe in the hotel. Gave me an excellent experience of my first time in the west indies cant wait to come back!!!

Room Tip: choose a room on high level for a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
#8 of 16 in St. John's
5.3 km away
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK