“Wish we could have stayed longer”

Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in St. John's
Toronto, Canada
“Wish we could have stayed longer”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We were at Sandals for 9 days at the beginning of March. The resort is divided informally into two parts, the newer buildings which tends to be quieter and the original resort. We stayed in the newer building. The room was quite large with a vid instant view of the water. The bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was grand indeed with a whirlpool and separate glassed in shower, twin sinks and beautiful granite counter tops. We liked that the room was made up early as we have had the experience in other resorts that the room don't get made up until late afternoon no matter what time you leve it in the morning.
What can I say about the food.....in a word..fabulous! We loved the breakfasts and because we were in the newer section, we generally ate at Mario's. We did go over to the Bayside and the food was generally the same. We enjoyed several of the restaurants including Eleanor's, Kimkonos and Barefoot by the Sea although our personal favourite was Mario's. A word of caution; some of the restaurants required reservations like Eleanor's, Kimonos, and Ok Corral. The reservations are accepted 48 hours in advance beginning first thing in the morning and usually are booked before 10:00 a.m. It is not unusual to find you cannot get a reservation. They would be better to use their on-line system to guarantee the every guest has an opportunity to eat at two places as some guests seem to get reservations regularly.
We sat by the pool. The pool was lovely and well maintained. There is not a whole lot of shade so those lounges are in demand. The chairs around the pool and beach tend to be taken quickly as guests put heir stuff on the chairs early in the day. Again, it would be helpful if the pool staff released the chairs when there is no one using them for hours. We did go into the ocean and sailed a bit. The water was a bit choppy and some days the caution flag was up. It was still nice to swim in salt water when we could.
although the shopping and cafe is in St. Marks Square in the newer section, it is the original part of the resort where the fun seems to be. There tends to be more inviting areas to mix and mingle.
The Red Lane Spa was the best. We both agree that we had the best massage we ever had and we have them regularly!
All and all a terrific vacation. The staff are very friendly and helpful. No attitude here. This was a wonder vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank talktomona
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,797)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2012

First off, I want to say that this has been our best Sandals experience ever, mainly due to one very special Sandals staff member by the name of Vanessa. She is one of the main reasons we chose this resort and am I glad we did. We just returned from Sandals Grande Antiqua during the week of April 22nd. It was our dream honeymoon. Once we landed in Antiqua, we were quickly shuttled to the resort by our Sandals representative. The drive to the resort was a short 15 minute drive from the airport.

Once we got to the resort, we were offered cold towels and a glass of champagne. Once we filled out the forms and provided our sercurity deposit, we immediately headed to our suite. I chose the Monte Carlo Honeymoon Suite Oceaview. The room was spectacular and the view of the ocean was amazing.

With this room, you have access to the concierge service. They prebooked our restaurants for Ok Corral, Elenors and Kimonos. All restaurants had their unique types of food. And yes, I admit the service was not the greatest, but you are on vacation. Every staff member that we encountered were friendly and always smiling. It goes both ways, treat them with respect and a thank you and it will go a long way. Unfortunately, tipping is not allowed at Sandals. We also enjoyed the oven baked pizza at the pizzaria. I had them make me a special "all meat" pizza that was not on the menu. By the second day, all the staff knew me by my name and what pizza I wanted. You really feel like a king there. We mainly had breakfast at Marios and Bayside. There was a huge selection of your typical breakfast menu items in the buffet. And if you wanted an omlette with all the fixings, you can have that too. In my opinion, I found Marios to be one of my most favourite dining places. And this leads to my most memorable moment I will never forget.

As an avid reader here on TripAdvisor, I went thru pages and pages of people's commentary about their experience here at Sandals. The one commentary that really hit home to me and the deciding factor to come to this resort was a write up from someone here that wrote about not able to dine at any of these restaurants because of his severe sunburn on his body and face. A General Manager of Marios and Food Services by the name of Vanessa came to his rescue and made special arrangements for the food to be delivered to his room. That way he didn't miss out on any of the great food on the menu. When I read that story, I printed it off to remind myself that I had to personally meet Vanessa and give her praise for doing something so special for someone under the circumstances.

Two nights before our trip was over, my wife and I dined at Marios for dinner. We ordered the beef tenderloin and the chocolate lava cake for dessert. You have to try this dessert. It was simply out of this world if you are a chocolate lover. Anyways, I asked the waitress if Vanessa was around tonight. To my surprise, she was just standing 2 tables over and came over quickly thinking that there was an issue with our food. I told Vanessa about how I was so touched about what she did for this couple who had the sunburn and that its people like you that really make a lasting impression on people and I had to meet her and give her a hug for that. And I told Vanessa that this was the deciding factor that I chose Sandals Antiqua over another Sandals resort. She was almost in tears. I even went back to my room to go get the print out of the story and showed it to here. She was touched and I even saw her eyes water. We hugged one another and I thanked her for having such a big heart.

So out of nowhere, she asked if my wife and I were free for dinner tomorrow night, being our last night before we fly back to Canada. She said for us to come meet her at Marios tomorrow night at 7:30pm for a surprise. We had no idea what she had planned but certainly accepted the offer. Both my wife and I dressed up like we were going to a high school prom. When we met up with Vanessa the next evening for our last dinner, she escorted us to our surprise dinner. She made special arrangements for my wife and I to have a private dinner at the Sandals Gazebos Tower overlooking the ocean. We were both speechless. This was the tower that was under the Sandals Red Sign you see on their website. Vanessa arranged for a table for 2 with a personal waitress at our tableside. It was the most romantic and beautiful experience my wife and I ever had to end our week of bliss. Vanessa, if you are reading this, words are not enough to thank you for giving us this surprise. It will be a moment we will treasure forever and ever. You have truly gone beyond our expectations on this and we both cannot express enough thanks for this.

If you ever have any doubts or not sure about this Sandals resort, think Vanessa and you will never look back..Thank you Vanessa, thank you to all the fine staff at Sandals Antiqua for a honeymoon that is out of this world.

6 Thank Vince Y
Colonia, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 1 May 2012

First I'd like to give a shout out to Nancy and Tom Finn from www.myislandgetaways.com. Ironically it was through a review on TripAdvisor that I heard about them. I'm in NJ and they're waaay out west and were happy to work with us on planning such a gorgeous vacation! Highly recommend!!! Any questions they were readily available (and I had MANY questions), any issues they were readily available.. A+ on customer service!!

In reference to our vacation. It was indeed lovely. We mostly relaxed poolside and beachside. We stayed on the Med side and the room was lovely and the view even better. There are only oceanview rooms but everyone will get one.. the building is set a bit further back from the ocean but it was still breathtaking..

As far as food is concerned the best all inc. food I've ever had. The Monday night beach party with fantastic food and entertainment with steal drums.. Entertainment dept. at the resort is amazing, high energy but make everyone want to have a good time.. Also great Friday activities with a pseudo Carnival ppolside with local eats and vendors..

We did arrange for off road ATVing..my first time and it was AWESOME!!! Highly recommend. Though there were just some minor confusion with requests I made the hotel managment and staff worked quickly to fix the situation.

You're in good hands with the most beautiful sunsets!

Room Tip: While we stayed at Med side its much more high end fancy the carribbean side is much more down to ea...
New York
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have stayed at many Sandals Resorts and this one was by far the best! The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure our vacation was amazing. This started from the moment we arrived and we were greated by one of the managers, Donovan, who upgraded our room to a Portofino suite. We happened to be there during Sandals Reunion week. If you can plan your vacation during a reunion week I highly reccomend it. They had a ton of free extras as well as giveaways. My husband and I won a free sunset cruise, which was amazing! They had free off property excursions. We took advantage of the Prickly Pear private beach day trip. The food was great. One of our first nights there we ate at the Bayside for steak night. The filet mignon was like butter, and the grilled swordfish was amazing. Our waitress was also very friendly. So many people who worked in various roles on this resort were just amazing. Just to name a few...Andrea, Karen, Leslie, Mandy, Manny, Kayla, and of course Donovan, you all made this vacation perfect for us! Thank you all so much. Also, if you want to take home some great photo memories, the photographers at this resort are top notch! I could go on all day about this place. All I can say is this place is definately worth the trip!

Room Tip: The Mediterranean side of the resort are newer, this is the side I stayed on and the room was amazin...
1 Thank Gbaby1973
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I went for the third time and had an amazing time as usual. The location of the property is excellent, the grounds are well kept and it's simply feels right. We absolutely love this place especially the staff. They are hard working and are always willing and eager to please. Special thanks to Omarie Williams for making our trip extra special especially on my wife's birthday. Thanks to Nikeisha for your great service at Bayside, you are the best. Some of the other staff that always take good care of us are: Allison Levy, Dazell,Teandra and the rest of the gang at the main pool. The variety of restaurants from Japanese to Jerk chicken at barefoot are delectable. We stayed in room 7304 which was always clean, quiet and comfortable. We cant wait to go again next year.

Room Tip: The Mediterranean Village is more modern and close to the main pool and Lobby.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
17.9 km away
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK