We were at Sandals for 9 days at the beginning of March. The resort is divided informally into two parts, the newer buildings which tends to be quieter and the original resort. We stayed in the newer building. The room was quite large with a vid instant view of the water. The bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was grand indeed with a whirlpool and separate glassed in shower, twin sinks and beautiful granite counter tops. We liked that the room was made up early as we have had the experience in other resorts that the room don't get made up until late afternoon no matter what time you leve it in the morning.
What can I say about the food.....in a word..fabulous! We loved the breakfasts and because we were in the newer section, we generally ate at Mario's. We did go over to the Bayside and the food was generally the same. We enjoyed several of the restaurants including Eleanor's, Kimkonos and Barefoot by the Sea although our personal favourite was Mario's. A word of caution; some of the restaurants required reservations like Eleanor's, Kimonos, and Ok Corral. The reservations are accepted 48 hours in advance beginning first thing in the morning and usually are booked before 10:00 a.m. It is not unusual to find you cannot get a reservation. They would be better to use their on-line system to guarantee the every guest has an opportunity to eat at two places as some guests seem to get reservations regularly.
We sat by the pool. The pool was lovely and well maintained. There is not a whole lot of shade so those lounges are in demand. The chairs around the pool and beach tend to be taken quickly as guests put heir stuff on the chairs early in the day. Again, it would be helpful if the pool staff released the chairs when there is no one using them for hours. We did go into the ocean and sailed a bit. The water was a bit choppy and some days the caution flag was up. It was still nice to swim in salt water when we could.
although the shopping and cafe is in St. Marks Square in the newer section, it is the original part of the resort where the fun seems to be. There tends to be more inviting areas to mix and mingle.
The Red Lane Spa was the best. We both agree that we had the best massage we ever had and we have them regularly!
All and all a terrific vacation. The staff are very friendly and helpful. No attitude here. This was a wonder vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish