Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$ 199
US$ 436
US$ 392
Ocean Point Resort & Spa(St. John's)(Great Value!)
US$ 180
Antigua Village(St. John's)
US$ 176
Jumby Bay Island(St. John's)
US$ 1,842
  • Breakfast included
Siboney Beach Club(St. John's)
Coconut Beach Club(St. John's)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,285 results
All reviewseden beachclothing optional beachnude beachsea grapes beachgarden bungalowsuperior sea viewfourth beachtamarind treebeachfront clubair conditioningrex resortsmain beachceiling fanlaid backsugar millbeach barrepeat guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

some years ago there was a better service (more employers at dinner, there were a moud more nice some times ago , now very sad , few clients, )
some rooms very ancient ( i have to ask a change too old every thinks : bath, forniture ecc.
garden no so green,
I booked directely, but the price on booking.com was less ! incredible.

Room Tip: no accessibility for whellchair
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aldo i
gm_hbaanu, Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Aldo, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts. I do apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We do value your feedback and we will be making every effort to continue to improve to not only met but exceed our guests expectations.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We arrived here after about an eight hour flight, (rather weary travellers). We were very disappointed with our allocated room despite it being called an upgrade. After a little bit of argy bargy with the reception staff and duty manager about the state of our room we were shown to another room which although not perfect, it was far better than the first. After this we settled in and started our holiday in earnest. We were all inclusive, so availed ourselves to the well prepared food and drinks. The resort was in in a wonderful location, with beautiful views out to sea.The weather was glorious most days and very warm. We did suffer the occasional rain storm which only lasted a few minutes each time. This is a very poor country, so as such could be forgiven the lack of management and TLC about the place. The staff were very pleasant and courteous despite lack of direction from the top.

Room Tip: Beach Bungalows with air conditioning are the Best, Stand your ground if you find your room inadequate or below standard
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernie_Norwich_UK

Hello Bernie, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts. I do apologize that your holiday did not start off as wonderful as we would have wanted it to and for the inconveniences that you experienced. I am pleased though that you enjoyed the food and the views. We do hope that we will see you again, enjoying another perfect sunset at Hawksbill.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went to this resort for 3 weeks February/March this year. After a few teething problems we had an amazing holiday. The resort is gradually being updated which is needed.
Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food for all inclusive was good.
Special thanks to Adrienne Walter, Reservations, who was very helpful.
We will definitely be returning.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon H

Hello Sharon, thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food, the friendliness of the staff and all that we have to offer. It was our pleasure taking good care of you and it will be our pleasure to do so once again, hopefully very soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I wanted a vacation on the beach - right on the beach. A vacation that would remind you of to going to the family cottage. We wanted clean comfortable accommodations with a nice bathroom. We wanted a nice breakfast lunch and dinner in a nice atmosphere. Some good red wine a few beers and good rum. We didn't desire or demand service at our beck and call. We are happy to walk for our own drinks when we want. We didn't want 24/7 food and booze and entertainment and dancing and parties into the wee hours of the night. We didn't want world class dinning experiences in high end boutique restaurants. You maybe thinking we are in our senior years, well not for a while yet. We just wanted a break from the everyday grind, to meet new friends from other places in the world and chill... on a beach, and maybe just maybe one of the beaches we wouldn't even have to worry about fashion. We were elated with our experience at Hawksbill. Excellent accommodations - I would recommend the Beach Front Royal Palm rooms. Recently renovated and on the beach, air conditioned, new bath rooms with great rain fall showers. Meals were always smorgasbord - home cooked style, we enjoyed everyone of them. The beaches were all beautiful - think post card worthy. The goats wondering around the property we thought as cute, even the mongoose (s) were interesting to observe. We watched sunsets and sun rises, I ran the 4 beaches every morning diving in for cool swim after, then visiting with our new friends - paradise! No review would be complete with out mentioning some areas of concern. I was caught off guard with what seemed as staff confusion over a dress code for men. Half way through supper on our second night I was called out by restaurant management for wearing men's dress sandals, (they were not beach flip flops), I was kind of embarrassed, but as a typical Canadian, I apologized, and suggested I would try to do better next meal. This in a relaxed 3 star, I found difficult to understand. So pack your dress shoes I guess. I found some loafers at a flea market for 2 bucks, replacing my expensive dress sandals - seemed to pass the fashion judges at the next meal. I did take this up with management after, suggesting they consider, evaluating the fashion of patrons at entry rather than part way through the meal, Maybe some clarity on the website would help. Stop on your way in and pick up some snacks - we like beach snacks and snacks at happy hour before supper - none were available at the resort. All in all we will be back - I have new pair of Italian designer shoes ready- just for dinner at Hawksbill next time.

Room Tip: Royal Palms renovated well A/c nice bathrooms fantastic beach location and views.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MarkandHeather1689

Hello Mark, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We do appreciate all of the feedback that we receive as it helps us to grow and improve our guests experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed the meals and the four beaches where you took your morning jog and swim. Most of our guests delight in just enjoying the beautiful environment and the tranquility that it offers. It was our pleasure taking care of you and Heather and we hope you will be back sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at the Hawksbill for 2 weeks earlier in March. I have to say I was a little apprehensive having read some of the negative reviews - most of which I found to be picky in the extreme having experienced the Hawksbill for myself. I think the underlying thing is - it is a 3 star hotel so its no use expecting 5 star. So many fellow guests were back for their 6th, 7th, 11th etc visit so it obviously has a certain appeal. I would certainly go back. We had orginally booked a garden room but thought better of it before we arrived so upgraded in advance to a Honeymoon Cove room and I have to say I was very glad we did. I did not see inside any of the garden rooms so I cannot say what they are like but our Honeymoon Cove room was absolutely fine. Yes, a little tired and some of the woodwork had seen better days. It was clean, plenty of wardrobe space, bathroom was perfectly fine, shower always plenty of hot water and the toiletries were really good. The bed was very comfortable and I would have liked to have smuggled a pillow home! I saw on trip advisor a photo of some rotten woodwork at the bottom of a doorframe - we certainly had a patch of that in our room - but ruin a holiday? Really?
The breakfasts were fine - you would be very fussy indeed if you could not find something you liked. OK some of the "porridge" was unusual - not always made with oats, sometimes rice or wheat but I liked trying the different ones. Dalton and his team at the egg station were excellent and produced good results all thetime. There was plenty of choice at lunchtime - if not keen on burgers etc there was always a variety of nice salad, toasted sandwiches, pasta etc. Chips were always good and fresh. Evening meals were definitely more caribbean in style so maybe not everything to everyones' taste but I did not expect global cuisine in Antigua. I saw on one review someone said the portions were small which is odd as it was mostly buffet style where you helped yourself. The exception was lunchtime burgers etc which were cooked individually but you could ask for as much as you wanted.
We found the staff to be very pleasant, cheerful and helpful without exception - in fact we thought they were one of Hawksbill's main assets. It does not seem fair to name individuals but some have to be mentioned: David, Felicia, Jeneice, Exzenia, Jameen, Francesca, Lou Jean, Malik, Cameron. I may also not have spelt those names correctly! There wwere many other smiley faces about whose names I can't remember.
On about our third day all the old sun beds mentioned in previous reviews were removed and replaced with brand new ones. Some people did not like the herd of goats that roamed around the grounds late afternoon/evening. None of us minded them at all but I can understand that not everyone would like them. Yes, the pool is small but apparently there are plans to rethink that.
Antigua has experienced some freaky weather lately with very high sea swells. This seems to have made the beach steeper and the water harder to get in and out of if people are not so steady on their feet. However it is quite easy at the restaurant end of Sea Grapes beach. This of course is totally beyond the Hawksbill's control! I only mention it for information.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the Hawksbill. We could see that it would not be to everyone's taste - it is caribbean and laid back and perfect for relaxing. There is some evening low key evening entertainment for a while most evenings with a steel band on Wednesdays and a really good band on Saturday night. Again, if evening entertainment is a requirement this perhaps would not be for you.
There is now a new manager in place with many plans for improvement so it will be interesting to see what happens. However, I do think that the Hawksbill does require some "tweaking" but not so much that it changes the atmosphere and charm of the place.
I should have mentioned at the outset that the location is absolutely wonderful - I imagine many of the 5 star hotels would give their eye teeth for it! I would like to think that we will go back another time.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Cove rooms are furthest away from restaurant if walking is a problem.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank KingfisherSurrey

Hello Jude, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us. It was lovely meeting you, your husband and your friends. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay from the location to the food, to the staff. Hawksbill is truly a place to relax and unwind from the cares of the everyday hustle, this coupled with good food and service make for a holiday as refreshing as an afternoon breeze. It was our pleasure taking care of you all and it will be our pleasure to do so again, hopefully very soon.