“Good Food, nice atmosphere”
Review of Bistro8

Bistro8
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Blackwood
Price range: US$ 26 - US$ 132
Cuisines: Spanish, Welsh
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2018

Popped in here for dinner last night - really friendly staff, great menu and very reasonable. We sat in the conservatory which was a little chilly so if I have one small complaint - its that this room in winter needs more heat. However that is just a quibble. Really good food and a lovely place - we will be back again

1  Thank Jonk1966

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Lovely meal in nice surroundings, the tapas menu is varied with lots of choice and the desserts are tasty, coupled with friendly staff it makes for a lovely laid back dining experience

1  Thank Susan P
Reviewed 16 January 2018

I had a table of 4 booked for Friday 22nd December to treat the family to a nice meal before Christmas.
When we arrived we were sat at one of the two tables downstairs. I normally wouldn't mind this, but as it was black Friday the bar area was over crowded and sitting people amongst this to eat was not appropriate, as we could not hear each other speak.
However, we were happily and quickly moved upstairs after asking to sit somewhere else.
The seating upstairs was much better and we were happy until the food arrived.
My fish meal, and my mothers ham (cant go wrong with ham and chips really) was okay but my partner, and step-dads meals, not so much.
They both had the dearest steak on the menu, thinking this would be the best, but they BOTH sent their food back twice as it was undercooked ,and more of a rare than medium, which is what they asked for. When the steak was eventually cooked how they asked, the quality of meat was terrible and lacked any taste, which left them thinking it was a cheap cut (not what was expected).
At the end of the meal, the waiter asked how everything was and we were honest in saying how bad it was, but nothing was done and we left utterly disappointed.

This was my first time at Bistro 8, following high recommendations from friends. But after spending over £150 on a meal to be left nothing but disappointed I can guarantee I will not be returning!

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

First visit to this restaurant. Lovely ambiance, open fire, good service and a comprehensive choice of gins! 30 advertised, 20 of which were on the menu. We didn’t try the tapas, however both our meals were well presented and tasty.
Would definitely go again and recommend this restaurant. Next time I’ll take my specs coz the writing on the menu was very small!

Reviewed 8 January 2018

My sister booked this restaurant as she had been there previously and had a good experience. However this was not to be repeated!

She booked for 8 of us, two of which were my parents who rarely go out as my mum has cancer and is not well. When it was booked my sister specifically asked to be seated in the conservatory as this area is very nice. When we all arrived we were told that we could not be seating in the conservatory as there had been a large party booked in, which no one had bothered to call us about to let us know. They then sat us in the back room on our own, with some old tables of different heights pushed together and sat on some old rickety chairs. The room had no windows and we all felt as though we were stuck in the basement.

We then ordered our food only for one of the ladies (who wasn't at all friendly) to tell us that there where no mushrooms for starters and only one type of steak left for one of the meals.

My mum who is also celiac ordered her gluten free meal and they brought her a normal meal, she then had to wait for another one.

Nobody at any point apologised for anything, and to be honest we all felt as though it was an inconvenience that we were there at all.

What started out as our lovely Christmas family meal was all in all a nightmare. Would defiantly not recommend this place!!

4  Thank snoz