All reviews warm welcome for sunday lunch corned beef pie salmon welsh pub little touches owners and staff nice atmosphere served quickly cheesecake maes manor paul menu portions chef waitress display
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Reviews of the Rock, some are effusive, good, nice etc. but there are a surprising number drawing attention to the attitude of the owners.
My experience would fall into the attitude category.
Yesterday from the Lunch Menu I selected Breaded Fish, with a polite request "please do not overcook the fish" The fish arrived fantastically overcooked, breading the color of well done toast, fish dry and tasteless. The waitress responded that's as the chef cooked it, as if to end the matter. Following her response and politely reminding her of "please do not overcook" request.
Somewhat nonplussed she asked did I want it replaced? Taken aback when I said please she dissapeared. Minutes later the owner appeared tableside. Proceeding to lecture on how fish should be cooked, how he knew better than customers. Attempt's to explain the request for not overcooked were ignored whilst he proceeded to finish the lecture. Followed by instructions for me (and my companions) to leave the premises immediately
At no time did the discussion get heated or loud but, Owners rules customer wrong.
The irony in this is apparent on a sign posted at the entrance.."Customers are reminded abusive behavior is not tolerated" No I guess they have the owner for that.
Sad really.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
15  Thank Maesycwmmer
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Recently had a great Sunday lunch - Menu was simple and the food was excellent.
we were served quickly and the staff were really attentive.
Food was very tasty .... in fact the Cheesecake was to die for !

couldn't recommend enough - a return visit is definitely on the cards.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Impromptu visit to the rock for Sunday lunch both myself and my husband were very please with the food we were given I had beef and my husband had pork accompanied by fresh veg / cauliflower cheese a special mention for the roast potatoes, my husband said they were the tastiest he's had. Finished off by forest fruit cheesecake, apple pie and cream. There was a pianist playing which is rare in this day and age. Can highly recommend this place will definitely be going back where the owners and staff were lovely and very hospitable try a visit you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay. We were so warmly welcomed and felt at home immediately. We stayed in the duck egg room. Everything you require is provided and was of excellent quality. The bed was really comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. Evening meal was lovely and portions plentiful. Breakfast was continental and the choice provided was amazing and there was something for everyone. There is a supply of books if you had forgotten yours and even a supply of basic everyday medical items if required i.e paracetamol, plasters, lemsip etc. If you are in the blackwood area this is a wonderful place to stay.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed over on a Friday night due to attending a friends wedding at The Maes Manor.

We arrived at lunchtime to be greeted by Jennifer in the car park showing us through to check in

From this moment on, nothing was too much trouble!

Paul kindly drove us to the wedding avoiding the need for a taxi, really kind gesture

We stayed in the Black and White room, that was nicely decorated and tastefully furnished

The ensuite whilst a little small has a good hot shower and the little touches such as shower gel and moisturiser were well received

Upon our return from the wedding we had a drink in the bar noting that our hosts had laid on nibbles free for the guests.

Breakfast was available in the morning in the lovely kitchen area with a wide range of options

We have been lucky to have travelled extensively throughout the world but rarely have we experienced such excellent customer service. Very good value for money.

Thanks Jennifer and Paul for making our visit to Blackwood memorable.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple