All reviewsswim up barrarotongan resortupstairs roomcook islandsroom servicingdirect beach accesshuge bedprivate beachseafood plattersister hotelmarine reservebeachfront roompaddle boardsour honeymoonisland styletropical breakfastcaptain andys
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

My new wife and I stayed here for a week at the start of February, we had been reading some up and down reviews about the resort and were a little worried, especially as my wife has a particully strict diet due to allergies, I had emailed the resort in advance, and been told it wasn't a problem and the chef would meet with us and discuss any issues. We checked in very late/early in the morning from our flight, and were told the chef would see us at breakfast, our room had an amazing view out over the lagoon to the reef, room was clean and had everything we wanted, however tv was on the side, so to watch it you would need to be on your side in bed, though we didn't watch TV much.

Chef Simon met us at breakfast, and ran through my wife's allergies, basically she couldn't eat 95% of the included breakfast, he told her what the kitchen could do, and Carley was very happy with that, she asked for Almond milk which wasn't available, but Simon had got some by lunch time. I ate from the inclusive breakfast, which was exactly what was advertised so no surprises there,lots of fruit, cereals and croissants,The chef told us to come see him at dinner time if we were to eat in the restaurant and he could go come up with dining options, which we did. When Simon wasn't there Chef William did the same, we had all our dinners in the Rarotongan restaurant, as the views are much nicer and it was a lot busier, plus easier to talk to the chef's as you walk past a gallery kitchen. Every morning the service staff recognised us and sorted Carley's breakfast with the kitchen.

The resort has lots of water sports equipment all free on loan, the beach was right there, and really good snorkeling is right in front of the resort. Don't know if our room was fully cleaned every day as my wife tends to make the bed even in a hotel, but we did have fresh towels, coffee supplies and toiletries topped up.

We found a petrol station just down the road with a really good array of allergy free products, We asked the chef if my wife could use the kitchen to make an allergy free snack but were told no because of health and safety reasons, but he took the ingredients from us and had it made up for us, my wife was very grateful, we were going on to the sister resort in Aitutaki, and Simon made sure we were well looked after there also, checking before we left that they had everything we needed and also sending up Almond milk and extra gluten free supplies.

The resort seemed quite quiet, service was slow at times, looked a little understaffed but I think it's low season for them, it rained a bit, but we had a terrific honeymoon at a resort with no kids.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank _rocmcnamara
Management response:Responded 1 March 2018

Kia Orana Ross and Carley,
Thank you for your lovely review.
I am delighted to hear you had a fantastic honeymoon with amazing views from your beachfront suite, and took full advantage of all the water sports equipment.
Your appreciation has been passed on to the Chef Simon, Chef William and the Food & Beverage teams for looking after Carley. Catering to dietary requirements is all part of the service. Guests only need to advise us at the time of booking, and speak to the chef on arrival, to ensure your needs are provided for.
We trust you enjoyed your stay in our sister resort in Aitutaki.
Best wishes for your future together, and we hope to welcome you back to Rarotonga in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

We picked this hotel based on their honeymoon spa suite, which consisted of a steam room, sauna, vichy shower and jacuzzi. Unfortunately the room and facilities as advertised on the website were not what we received. The jacuzzi had not been cleaned, we used it a few times and were then disgusted to find out it hadn't been cleaned before we arrived and were then without it for the last 5 days of our stay because it had to be cleaned. The steam room didn't exist at all so false advertising on that front and the sauna was OK, but took a while to warm up but was doable. Although based on the jacuzzi fiasco I dread to think when that was last cleaned. The loungers on the terraced/outside area were mouldy and the area hadn't been cleaned either. I don't think a cleaner went out into the spa facilities at all during our stay to clean it. The vichy shower was filthy and had a sound system that was cracked and broken. The website advertises views into the tropical gardens, not quite the case. We did complain and were offered a beach front room instead however we paid for and reserved a spa room and requested to have it cleaned which didn't happen apart from the maintenance team trying to replace the filters in the jacuzzi, we knew we were visiting during the rainy season and thought on those rainy days we could use the spa, not possible unfortunately. After our complaint we were just told the lady dealing with us was still waiting to hear from the manager. We never got to meet the manager and was offered a partial refund although not clear how much until my card statement comes through and a room to shower in before our flight. So as you can imagine our honeymoon was a fiasco and a let down. The whole resort seems to have been renovated apart from this one room, we had a bathroom with paint peeling off the door, a mouldy shower curtain (replaced to equally mouldy shower curtain). I've uploaded pictures of our room. So so disappointed! Dear manager when you read this and respond I would appreciate a direct response from you.

Staff are friendly and food is fine but in need of a revamp in comparison to other hotels we saw on the island!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emzle
Management response:Responded 17 March 2018

Kia Orana,
Thank you for your review.
I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your Honeymoon Spa Suite.
I would have welcomed the opportunity to address your concerns on day 1 of your stay with us, rather than on day 7.
I personally inspected your suite immediately upon receipt of your complaint.
There was some staining of the outdoor deck timbers however, this was not due to cleanliness but wear and tear in our tropical environment. It has since been repainted.
The jacuzzi has a self-cleaning mechanism built into the unit that is continuously purifying the water however, we also completely change the water for each new guest.
Our Maintenance Manager inspected each facility in the Honeymoon Spa Suite, and all were fully functional. We would have been pleased to show you how to operate any equipment that you did not know how to operate.
The outdoor deck has some screens to offer privacy to our guests.
Given that you raised these concerns on day 7 of your stay, we did offer you an alternative Beachfront Suite at no additional cost, but you chose to stay in the Honeymoon Spa Suite.
If there is anything else I can assist with, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Adults only which is lovely. We had a room ùpstairs with a fantastic uninterrupted view of the reef. Our room was clean and tidy and very quiet (721).
I had read some of the bad reviews and was concerned that booking here was a bad choice. However we found nothing that was bad. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was good and so was the outlook. Loved the snorkeling and kayaking straight off the beach. I also loved the way you could open the mirrored windows in the bathroom so you can see straight out to sea.
All in all we had a great time and we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karleenowens
Management response:Responded 30 January 2018

Kia Orana Karleen,
Thank you for your lovely review.
I am thrilled to hear you loved your Beachfront Suite with amazing views out over the beautiful Aroa Lagoon Marine Reserve, and direct access to the swimming and kayaking.
It was also a delight to hear the staff and meals were great, and that you would love to come back – we certainly hope to see you again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 8 day’s for my son’s wedding, who were married on Aroa Beach, perfect place, perfect setting.
The rooms are clean and spacious with good sized bathrooms and showers. We stayed on the ground floor and walked out our door onto the beach. I couldn’t have asked for a better location. The sunrise and sunset from here was magical.
The staff are very friendly and tend to needs. The breakfast is nice, cereal, fruits, pastries and breads.
You can hire cars and bikes across the road for a good price. Next door is the Rarotongan and you can use the facilities there too. The Sanctuary is adults only. The pool area has a bar, but I much preferred the pool at the Rarotongan as it had a nicer feel and area.
You can use snorkelling gear, paddle boards and kayaks at no cost.
Will be back

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 23 January 2018

Kia Orana Monique,
Thank you for your lovely feedback.
I am delighted to hear you had such a fabulous stay for your sons wedding and found our location, with direct beach access and stunning sunsets, to be amazing.
It was our pleasure to have you, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2018

Great location for couples or families with older children over 16. Interconnecting rooms available. Relaxing, peaceful. Thanks so much to Anisha, Lisa, Apii, Praveen, Rosa and all the staff. We loved your happy smiles and included breakfast was fantastic.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Nicola R
Management response:Responded 23 January 2018

Kia Orana,
Thank you for your feedback and kind comments.
I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay and our staff made you feel at home, I will be sure to let them know how much of an impact they made on your experience.
It was our pleasure to have you, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Regards,