“My best ever Chalet Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Cote-d'Arbroz
The Works - Chalet Symphony
York, England
“My best ever Chalet Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The skiing in the 'Portes du Soleil' is fantastic and allways will be whatever chalet or hotel you stay in, but this was definitely the most enjoyable, well co-ordinated and value for money chalet I have ever stayed in. The food was delicious, varied, and had substance- no mean portions here, and was well presented by a cook with a great sense of humour! There was no holding back with the wine either. The team at Chalet Symphony were allways friendly and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble. Robin never stops doing something towards making his guests' experience more enjoyable, either cooking breakfasts to everyones individual requirements, running a hectic transfer schedule and a host of other things as well as finding the time to 'ski host' us on the pistes at least twice during the week (I may have missed one or two other occasions when he did so). He was allways amenable with pickups and drop offs from or to the chalet. And the fire was allways lit, hot tub allways in service - even for just one person - these latter two things I cannot say for any other chalet I've stayed in. Altogether more than could be reasonably expected was on offer.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tonyulyses
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The whole experience was really hassle free, from booking, arriving, getting equipment, getting lift passes, skiing, and finally departing. “No Stress at all”. It’s all sorted out for you.

So now on to my stay, my partner and I spent seven nights at Chalet Symphony from March 10th – 17th, we had such a fantastic time and even though it's a long way off we are excited about returning for the next season; there are so many great elements to the Chalet Symphony and the Porte’s du Soleil region.

First of all there is the chalet itself, comfortable clean, contemporary, and spacious, the room we stayed in has stunning views of the Alps; waking up to such a view is inspiring and a magnificent way to start the day.

Next but definitely not least is the excellent food; I guarantee you will not be disappointed. A hearty breakfast set’s you up nicely for a pleasant days skiing, and then at the end of the day it's home Robin to a fantastic four courses of really delicious food, with a generous amount of red and white wine.

The company was and always has been excellent, it’s my third time at the Chalet Symphony and I always meet really nice people that I want to spend time with, be it skiing, boarding or relaxing in one of the great mountain restaurants or bars.

Now on to the hosts – they are great at what they do, they enjoy what they do (you can tell) and they have a great sense of humour; all the guests seem to warm to them. You couldn’t ask for better hosts than Robin and Alex, always on the end of the phone when you need them, and happy to pick you up and drop you off at the slopes.

A really great experience and a well deserved thank you to Robin, Alex, Tamzin and all the guests there from 10th – 17th March, hope to see you all again.

Hal and Cecilia

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HalLogan
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

This was our first time away for a snow holiday and we were left feeling slightly disappointed following our stay at Chalet Symphony. Unfortunately it all started badly when our flight was delayed by the snow in Manchester, making our arrival into Geneva very late. Robin collected us from the airport and we were obviously very grateful, but then all we heard about for the next three days was how tired he was from collecting us.... surely that’s his job and it was hardly our fault?

Following our late arrival we were essentially dumped at the front door and told where our rooms were but no offer of a hot drink/ small snack despite us missing our first meal and we had paid for dinner that night! There was no help carrying our things in either- something perhaps I assumed a host might do....maybe I’m wrong though and snow holidays are different?

The chalet itself was lovely though. The rooms were in general a good size and the living space was large but cosy. The fire was nice too when it was lit and the honesty bar a good idea- but the cost of a bottle of house wine seemed a little steep! On booking the chalet we thought we would get slippers and robes for the run to the hot tub, but no these were absent too...... or so we thought- we found them in a cupboard on our last night....were we not good enough to warrant a robe? Bit stingy we thought.

We also found it difficult to arrange pickups in the afternoon. As a big group with mixed ability we all needed different runs to get the best from our holiday, but we were frequently told to meet at a certain place convenient for them to collect us from. Not always possible and anyway, if we had all been separate couples then surely you couldn’t force people to meet up? It is advertised that they will ‘collect you from your favourite bar at the end of the day’- bear this in mind and perhaps try and pick the ‘same’ favourite bar as your fellow guests or you might find it awkward to get collected.

All in all we loved the holiday and will definitely go back again to the Alps but I don’t think this chalet was for us. I understand they work hard and they have busy weeks and perhaps they were hoping for an easy week with our group, but still it’s our holiday and we different feel like special guests at all.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Kezzie4
SavoieFlair, Owner at The Works - Chalet Symphony, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a report on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent visit to Chalet Symphony. We take all reviews very seriously and take time to read each one to see if we can improve our standards/service in any way.

Since reading your review we have been taking steps to try to speak to you directly and have left various messages with your party leader in an attempt to obtain a phone number, however we have still not as yet had our calls returned.

Chalet Symphony is a small family run business and we take great pride in the standards and levels of service we provide for our guests in an effort to ensure that they experience a holiday that surpasses their expectations. It is for this reason that upon reading your review we were both utterly devastated and upset to read that we had in someway not provided this for you. However, where in some areas we may well have been at fault, I feel that the review as a whole is rather unfair and unbalanced.

If I may begin with the arrival.

The Saturday of your arrival saw me rise at 6am to make breakfast for the previous guests. I then proceeded with the normal Saturday transfer schedule and conducted two return runs to Geneva collecting half of your party in the process. I had originally arranged for a transfer company to collect you as your flight was due to arrive at 21:40, which fell during supper time giving you an arrival time of circa 23:30 at the chalet, provisions had been made to feed you if you arrived at the scheduled time.

At some point during the evening we were made aware that you flight was delayed. We kept an eye on the flight and it became increasingly apparent that you may not even make it to Geneva at all that evening as flights are not permitted to land after 00:30. At 22:45/23.00 we had it confirmed by the Geneva airport website that your flight was due to land at 00:20. The company that had been scheduled to collect you phoned me and told me that their driver would not be able to hang around for your transfer as he needed 7 clear hours before driving again and he was scheduled to drive again at 07.00. It was at this stage left to me to drive the return trip to collect you. As you state this is indeed part of the job and one I am happy to do to see the safe arrival of our guests. I set off at 23:00 and arrived and collected you at just after midnight.

After then driving back we dropped a couple of other people off in Morzine and arrived at Chalet Symphony. The time now was 01:30-01:45, I did indeed help unload the minibus and show you into the chalet. I admit I did not show you to the door of your room and simply explained politely that there were the two doubles on the top floor. I suggested that you make yourselves at home and that I would see you in the morning as I had the prospect of less than 4 hours sleep ahead before I was due to be back up and preparing breakfast for the first day of your holiday (again I appreciate my lack of sleep is not your problem but I just want to give you the background to my day) If at this stage of a 20 hour day my normally impeccable customer service and hospitality failed me then I can only apologise for that. I also really did not consider the thought that you would want a cup of tea and a small snack at 02.00 in the morning.

The following morning I was there and breakfast was served. At no time was there any mention of your dissatisfaction with my lack of hospitality the evening before and in fact we all enjoyed a nice start to the day and I ensured that your had everything you needed for the day ahead by supplying you with your lift passes and co-ordinating the ski hire to fit your boots so you could get a full day's skiing. If when asked, 'how I was', I mentioned that I was tired from the night before then I am sorry for being truthful! I certainly don't recall going on about it for 3 days and certainly did not try and infer that it was your fault. I was in fact delighted that you had arrived!

With regards to the in resort minibus shuttle service to collect you from your preferred Apres Ski bar. We always park as legally close to your chosen Apres ski bar and at no time did we park anymore that 75m from the bar that you were in and in no way did we try to make you drink in a bar that was convenient to us. The main Apres Ski bars, The Crepu, The Tibetan, The Cavern and The Bowling bar are all in a pedestrianised street, thus making it impossible to park or even drive. The Tremplin by the Pleney has limited access and by parking here you block the road and are frequently moved on by the municipal police, hence we use the layby opposite the ESF as the preferred pick up location as do the majority of other operators. This is the area designated by the Police Municipal as a pick up and drop off zone. We tell you that the bar on the lay by is very friendly and fine for a drink but other bars are more lively so it is your choice where to drink but this is the pick up area for this part of town. If you had wanted to drink in the Coup de Coeur area or down the bottom end of town at the Dixie Bar we would have been happy to drive as close as possible to collect you from your preferred bar.

I would like to remind you that on 3 occasions (one by me and twice by my wife) we were asked to collect you from LES GETS (we are a Morzine based company and Les Gets is a different resort altogether). This was done without any hesitation or complaint.

During the week, one of your party members, Rosie, decided to take a 'Chalet Day'. We provided her with the local Balad D'Aulp bus service timetable so she could get into town or she could have asked us for a lift if she preferred. My wife received a call from a very distressed Rosie whilst out walking (I was guiding that day) as she had got on the bus and gone the wrong way and ended up further down the valley. In her rush to get off the bus she had also lost her purse. My wife abandoned her walk and hurried back to the car in order to get to Rosie as soon as possible. She then took her into Morzine and to the Police Municipal office to help her report her purse missing. We have since returned to the Police office as they had found the purse and we have sent it back to Rosie at our cost and time.

After all this we are perplexed as to how you could possibly infer that we were inflexible or that is was difficult to arrange pickups in the afternoon. We have many weeks with many diverse and different group makeups. We have never had any problem with the pick up situation before and many groups do indeed all meet up together for Apres ski. In fact just recently we had 6 different couples in the chalet and we were happy to accommodate all their requests of different drop offs and pick ups at different times.

You mention that the chalet was lovely and with spacious rooms with a cosy fire when lit. The fire is lit on return from the slopes every evening as it is every week.
With regards to the robes and slippers, we apologise for omitting to place them in your rooms for you arrival, it was an oversight on our part and had you mentioned it to us we would have been able to rectify the problem straight away. It is so frustrating for us that during your 6 day stay with us, when asked if everything was OK did you not mention it as it was a problem that could have been easily fixed. As with any complaint made after the holiday has been concluded it is impossible to do anything about it especially a whole month and a half afterwards. At no time did we consider you not worthy of the gowns and slippers and were certainly not being stingy. It was a simple oversight and we apologise for that.

When I was asked about a bottle of the house wine I explained at the time that in fact there was a very nice boxed wine which would work out better in value in the honesty bar. It was your choice to buy the house wine and a price list was displayed clearly behind the bar. I am sorry that you feel that 10-12 euros for a house wine is too steep but we like to provide quality wine and not cheap vinegar wine that you find in some chalets. You also have to remember that we are a business and if you bought a bottle of wine from a bar in town you would be paying around the same or more and possibly for a lesser quality wine.

At no time during the winter season do we expect to have an "easy week", there were11 adults for the week you stayed which is by no means easy. There is the same amount of running around, preparation and care taken with the aim to provide the same high level of service for every single week of the season.

We were deeply shocked and very surprised to receive such a negative review as when asked how your holiday was you all said you had an amazing week. We feel your review was unbalanced, unfair and if you had come to us at the time, unnecessary! We just hope that potential clients reading our reviews will see that your review is an anomaly and won't be put off booking at our lovely, family run chalet.

Kind regards

Alex & Robin

Savoie Flair
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This was the first time we had stayed with Robin and Alex and the team at Chalet Symphony, and it is no coincidence the is the first time I have written a review on Trip Advisor. Quite simply this was the best catered chalet experience I have had! From the moment we were collected from the airport until a week later when we were safely returned every single aspect of our holiday was thoughtfully and carefully taken care of. The chalet itself was spotlessly clean, modern, spacious and luxuriously comfortable. The catreing was out of this world and the skiing was amazing, nothing was too much trouble for our gracious hosts including ski guiding and sorting out all of our passes and equipment. Definately see you next year!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012 via mobile

This was our fourth time staying at Chalet Symphony and theres no doubt that we will be back to stay with the excellent hosts, Robin and Alex and enjoy the huge variety of terrain in the Portes du Soleil.
The food and hospitality was yet again first rate, the atmosphere fun and relaxed with a lovely group of people who we ended up spending a lot of time with throughout the week.
The hosts have an excellent knowledge of the area and we always enjoy spending time with them on the slopes or back at the chalet.
There are lots of great restaurants and bars across the whole range and its great to find somewhere new every time we return.
I would recommend Chalet Symphony to anyone looking for a great, hassle free time in the Portes du Soleil area and look forward to a trip again next year.
Thank you Robin and Alex for ensuring we had another super week

Stephen and Sara

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Stephen D

Been to The Works - Chalet Symphony? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK