All reviewsmini fridgelittle gemkipperswell stocked barhigh standardlake districtportion sizesb bsguest housesmoked salmonfriendly hostseggs benedictcomfortable bedbreakfast was deliciousgreat showercumbrian breakfaststayed for two nights
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We arrived after a tiring 5 hour drive, but it was well worth it. The whole place exceeded our expectations. Beautiful bedroom (Room 6), thoughtful decor throughout the small bar, lounge and restaurant areas. Friendly, efficient staff. And then...the food!! Exceptional - as good as any dinner or breakfast in any top London restaurant or hotel. Cannot recommend it enough. We were only sorry that we stayed only one night. I hope we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Room 6 is the largest luxury room at the top of the building.
2  Thank Katy E
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Good breakfast and friendly helpful staff. The bedroom was clean although smaller than expected. The 1863 is ideally located to explore Pooley Bridge and the Lake is a short easy walk from the property.

2  Thank Ken H
Reviewed 11 August 2017

We managed to stay in ROOM 6 which is the GRAND DELUXE SUPER KING ENSUITE ROOM and it was very comfortable and my partner totally fell in love with the decor.
We took lots of photos for decorating ideas and then fell asleep in the bed (which was very comfortable indeed).

I went downstairs at 6 am and sat down by the bar and looked out toward a bird feeder which was very busy indeed. I took time to study the quality of the aesthetics of the dining area and bar and could tell that plenty of thought and attention to detail had gone into the refurbishment of this fine establishment.

The owners (Anne and Mark) have done themselves proud and although we only had a vegetarian breakfast I could tell Mark is one hell of a fine cook.

10/10 and will def be returning very soon!!

1  Thank HappyMonkeyBites
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We had great expectations for this restaurant but they really didn't meet our expectations. They knew in advance that we were diabetic but from the start they failed. The amouse bouche was sweet and was served with treacle bread! What part of diabetic didn't they understand? Starters was ok but again the bread was sweet. Main course steak was wonderful but hardly any vegetables. We were hungry. Other than cheese, there was no desert offered to suit our needs. Even the coffee was served wuth a sweet chocolate. We went away disappointed. They really thought that a slice of cheese would suit our needs. Our intake of vegetables and carbs was so so low, we were nearly in a hypo. Thankfully other hotels nearby could cater for our needs. Even a conversation with the chef/ manager did not help. He saidi he might have made us a desert, but we might not have wanted it!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had booked a photography workshop near Penrith and we're looking for a place to overnight after the workshop and then spend a day in the lakes.
We came across 1863 on Trip Advisor at a great price so we booked. What a great decision that was!
The hotel is elegant but not stuffy, friendly, welcoming and to be honest one of the nicest places I've ever stayed (and I've reviewed a few). The place is small but very well designed with a small but really well stocked bar and a comfortable sitting area to relax in. There is a restaurant as well but I'll review that separately.
We arrived and were shown to room 1. Not the biggest of rooms but whoever planned the room did a great job. Everything you need is there and plug sockets and things like that are where you'd want them. A lovely comfortable bed, bathrobes and a carpet that just invites a rub with your bare feet! The en suite shower room is very useable but could do with just a touch more shelf space by the sink. Minor observation only. Great shower with a choice of heads and plenty of hot water. Just the job after a day on the fells with my cameras!
Breakfast was included in our deal and did not disappoint. Attentive service supported by quality produce makes for a great combination at breakfast. We finished well set up for a day in the Lakes. It was a shame the weather wasn't great but you get the feeling the management of the hotel would organise that for you if they could.
I really can't fault the hotel at all. There's even free parking and free wifi to complete the deal. I love this place and I will be back. Next time though I'll book direct and believe that this may offer the best value.
Highly recommended.