See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 August 2016

We won a trip to Esperanza Inn. On arrival, we found out that the restaurant was closed for the season. We were directed to an outdoor entrance room as the mansion was also closed. The room smelled very musty. There was an old container of fruit in the refrigerator. The toilet was running continuously. A very nice young lady agreed to move us to a similar room with a working toilet. This room also had a bad odor and the air conditioner had only one speed - high. Carpeting was worn and stained. Thankfully we were busy enjoying Keuka Lake during the day so we did not spend a great deal of time in the room. In the morning there was a satisfactory continental breakfast set up in the mansion: boxed cereal, yogurt, mini muffins and coffee and tea. The second evening we asked if we could use the veranda on the mansion. We were reminded that the kitchen and bar were closed (no problem - we brought our own wine and cheese and crackers). The view from the veranda is spectacular. The wrought iron tables and chairs were covered with spider webs but we cleaned them off and enjoyed a wonderful evening on a gorgeous veranda overlooking the lake. We were literally the only guest at the inn that night which was a little creepy. I am guessing that they will be closing after this season.

Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank madreRochester
Reviewed 12 July 2016

Our room was next to the laundry room, we stayed in 117. Walls and ceilings are thin, sounded like guests above were going to fall through the floor - you hear EVERYTHING. Bathroom door was missing door knob, so we couldn't even close the door. The room smelled musty, the carpet felt damp. The doors to the room are right from outside, so you will end up with bugs flying around.
Their idea of a continental breakfast isnt worth walking over to the Mansion for, bring your own bagel and warm milk, it will save you the trip.

Room Tip: The only "VIEW" of Keuka Lake your going to get, is if you go up to the outdoor patio off the Mansion, thats it.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank jfk1541
Reviewed 23 October 2015

The mansion was very beautiful and offers an amazing view of the Keuka Lake. I visited for dinner and did not stay in the rooms. There is outside seating and you can request a table by the water. The food and service were fairly good. My only concern was that there were a large amount of flies during our visit in October 2015. (we were seated inside).

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2015

My wife stayed at the E on a "girls-away weekend" trip to the Finger Lakes wine region. She had told her friends staying with her what a great place this was, as our daughter had her wedding there in 2006 and we loved the place. She was hugely disappointed, reporting nothing but problems, starting with the failure to place her and her friend in adjoining rooms as specifically requested at the time the reservation had been made. The breakfast the next morning was awful - cold and with stale, hard bagels and pancakes - the only thing edible was the pre-packaged yogurt.
The good news for the E is that it still sits on the bluff overlooking beautiful Keuka Lake and is a short drive from numerous wineries and such customer service problems can be fixed with a re-dedication to first rate customer service by a responsive management. But that had better come soon - they lost one previously loyal customer and missed an opportunity to gain several more from this trip.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank ceharv
Reviewed 12 October 2015

Oh, where to begin on this one? One could do worse, but I don't want to even entertain visions of what 'worse' might look like. First, the B and B itself. It is not in a strip mall or directly on the highway, so it has a leg up on some of the other places in the Finger Lakes (so many disgusting B and Bs and so little time). People stay here for weddings, so it has a few strategically beautiful vistas that one can enjoy...from a parking lot. There's a mixture of beautiful countryside and ugly, drive-up motel aesthetic. This translates into something worse on the inside. Now, I should have known when I booked a room in the Mansion itself (one of those places that seems charming in that Victorian way until you start noticing that it is, well, not clean) and the rooms were named "Chardonnay" or "Shiraz". On an aside, these might actually be the better rooms, which is a terrifying thought.

IN any case, we stayed in one of the higher-end in-house (in 'mansion') rooms, Chardonnay, incidentally'. At first approach, it is acceptable. There is a common balcony outside that has a pleasant view, there is a four-poster bed with a gauzy curtain; it is not small. BUT that common balcony could easily have some ill-kempt person smoking a cigarette on it and as it is positioned, they have a perfect view of your room, so that in the a.m. it is a choice between letting the sunlight in (so important as the rooms are dingy and NOT well lighted) and letting strangers view you as--in my case--struggle to gather belongings and flee. Moreover, those gauzy curtains are stained, the linens do not seem to be clean (perhaps the sheets are, but the rest/...?) The shower is tiny and the sink likewise and there isn't even a coffeemaker in the room, which would have been a mercy. Incidentally, there was actually a debate in the middle of the night about whether it would be better to just buck up and make the 5.5 hour drive home in the middle of the night. The staff was not unpleasant, but when we asked for a cup of coffee before leaving the next morning, we were given styrofoam cups with coffee so weak that one could practically see through the pot.

BUT, what is crucial here is the restaurant. It is horrendous. Elsewhere, I have complained about the food at the Taughannock Farms Inn, but this was much, much worse. First, avoid the dining room and its astringent, bright lighting. The "Grill" area is not much better, but it is preferable as the lighting is a bit more conducive and it is not filled with quite as many people marveling over glorified hospital food. The selections were hideous, though the French Onion Soup was not a crime against dining, nor was the hamburger (which I thought was a safe bet, though adding bacon and cheese to the patty was not a plus in my opinion as it masks low-quality product). The rest looked pretty nightmarish. Also, much can be gleaned from details. There was a small bouquet of flowers, but the water was brackish and getting low, had not been changed for days; there were small (rather twee) candelabra fitted out with tea lights, but they were not lit and dusty, which was an obvious sign that they hadn't been for some time (I did the honors and it improved the setting a bit). There was 'bread for the table', but it was not homemade, not local and not even good, likely procured at a grocery store. It was accompanied by what can best be described as garlic-flavor canola oil. They are probably going for garlic-infused olive oil, but the oil was low grade and the garlic flavoring was patently artificial. Moreover, when other tables asked for after dinner coffee, it came with no-refrigerate creamers on the side. The aioli was abused mayo with a gelatin skin forming. People were packing their leftovers themselves. I think this gives a pretty good sense of tableau, though I could go on. Incidentally, I thought I'd spare myself these unpleasant touches and grabbed some Marcona almonds from my room--I just had them on hand for the trip, one never knows... and simply poured them into a glass at the table for an antipasto. It was the best part of the meal. In short, avoid this wretched place.

I am sure there are some charming place to stay in the area, and I know that the area is not all wine slushees and scandalously déclassé groups with pretensions to bourgeois hauteur; I just don't know where they are (except for Trumansburg and the Wiemer Vineyard)

Room Tip: Mansion rooms are probably the best option, but 'best' isn't an endorsement, rather the best of a series of terrible options.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple