All reviews tent camping camp store appalachian trail person tent river falls father son southern end great site bathrooms were clean big meadows wind and rain tent stakes tree cover great outdoor experience pay showers parking area sites
Reviewed 31 August 2016

We stayed just one night in site A2C. It was "walk-in" but the parking lot was about a 30 second walk away. We liked the tent-only section since we were set back from the road and didn't get the headlight glare, and were further away from the sound of generators. Our only problem was since we got there after dark, we didn't get a chance to scope out where the bathrooms were. When we went to look for the closest one according to the map, it appeared the trail to it didn't exist. In the morning we found another bathroom, but it was a bit far, I think we'd prefer to get a site closer to the bathroom next time. The campsite itself was shaded but with a gap in the trees where we could see the stars. There is a tent pad and a fire pit (grill but no ring). We noticed some of the other sites did have rings. Loft Mountain campground is very well maintained and the employees are super friendly. (Also note certain spots in the campground can get VERY windy. Your are on top of a mountain! This happened on our 2015 Memorial Day trip and I got sick. Definitely bring warm clothing just in case.)

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

My son and I went camping here in site....wait a second I really liked my site and if I have it away it might be booked next time I try and reserve it so I will keep it on the hush. But there are plenty of good sites. All prices at $15. $20 to get in park unless you have year pass like I do. I paid $40 for it and have used it 4 times since. Campsite is only 40 - 44 minutes from the Waynesborough side entrance. Walked to amphitheater from site and saw cool presentation about bra s from ranger. We even saw a Bear driving to campground. Fire pit and picnic table were perfect. Site was flat with plenty of foliage to make it secluded. Driveway was pull through and plenty big for my bros van and my car. Camp store had lots of things like bug spray which we forgot to bring. It is a bit more pricey so try and bring everything from home. However nice if you forget something. We hiked black rock on way back to Waynesborough entrance. Highly recommend hike for small kids ours are ages 3 - 8 and they loved climbing on the rocks. Hike is half mile there and half mile back. Happy camping!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Jes S
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Great place to pull in for road trip. We was able to get a pull thru site and it was easy to get in and flat so not too much leveling was needed. Most sites looked like they was very similar. Water and dump was easily accessible when we was leaving. Will be back.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Stayed here with the family in July and we found it to be quiet, peaceful, and had very accessible hiking trails. We camped in a tent for two nights. No issues. The bathrooms were clean. And a very short (<2min) drive down the road was a pay shower, which was very clean also. I think it was $1.25 for 5 minutes. Well worth it. Also, the Appalachian Trail was only 150 yds away from the campsite so we were abel to do some great hiking as well.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2016

Loft Mountain was nice. Most of the sites are pull through and there are walk-in tent sites in A loop. Some sites are close to each other, but generally better spaced and more private than Big Meadows. Limited showers are a 1/4 mile from the sites (walk or drive) and are closed for cleaning from 1:00 to 3:00 pm daily. $1.75 for about a 5 minute shower. Nice well stocked camp store within the camp ground and a separate wayside store a mile from the campground on the parkway with a counter service restaurant. Coffee sold at the camp store and wayside. Clean showers and restrooms. We usually prefer Big Meadows, but it was sold out. Loft was a close second, and we are very happy to enjoy a different area of the park. Some sites in the center of G loop are uneven, small and back up to a chain link fence and water tank. Sites at the far end of F and G are very nice. Walk-in tent sites looked nice also, but you will have to park in a shared lot near the site and walk on a short trail to your site. Park ranger staff was friendly and helpful. As with all the SNP campgrounds, be bear safe and put away all your food and cooking items when you leave camp. Store all food, toothpaste, and anything else wildlife would like to eat in your car (or bear box when available), especially while you sleep. Something will most likely visit you during the night. There are several nice hikes of various lengths close to Loft Mountain either down to water falls or up to scenic views.

Room Tip: Avoid the center of G loop.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family