Review Highlights
Strenuous But Rewarding

One of the toughest hikes I’ve done! But definitely worth it. Be prepared though. Definitely... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
199brendau
yes. just yes.

With the rock scrambling and views, this is def one of the most enjoyable hikes in the shenandoah... read more

Reviewed 2 January 2021

from US$ 217.00
from US$ 75.00
from US$ 12.31
More Info
All reviews upper body strength rock scramble saddle trail parking lot bring enough an early start bring plenty huge rocks decent shape blue blazes tennis shoes hiking boots ranger station shenandoah mountains parking area bad knees up hill
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I hiked in the traditional direction with the rock scramble on the way up. I found the rocks fun but they did not seem difficult or dangerous. The optional rock scramble area off the trail near Birds Nest shelter offered more challenges. I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed most of the hike was shaded. The downhill section was over 5 miles and I almost lost my toenails (as I have before). I am including pictures which show the trail (blue blaze) going right over rocks, a passage between rocks, and a couple of the nice views. I thought I was "in shape" but with my asthma bothering me these days and the blister and toe damage I got on the way down, the hike took the time projected on the park websites, about 6 hours total. (I am 56, female, and hiked alone.) Note that you are supposed to get a $15 permit using a self-serve box in the parking lot before starting the hike.

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

There’s lots of people who love to write reviews and say they’re old, or out of shape, or whatever, but can still do it. I’ll be straightforward so no one begins something they can’t end. I’m a high school student who plays sports year round, and I was challenged. The way down is torturous because you’ve already been walking hours and then you have to walk down boring, muddy roads and trails. The rock climb is very fun but difficult. At one point, you have to drop down about 10 feet. There is a foothold about halfway down, but I am 5’3 and could not reach it. If you are my height or smaller, you will most likely need help. The views were amazing though, and the trail was not overly crowded (a Wednesday from 9am-3ish). Overall, a fun challenging hike.

3  Thank p5977
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

I took my 11 year old who is a strong hiker and loves to scramble up rocks and it was the perfect day hike for us. I will wait to take my younger children, who would struggle with both the distance of the hime and the difficulty of rocky sections. We left very early and were glad because it did get crowded in the later morning. We spent a lot of time enjoying the overlooks, the entire hike was about 6 hours for us.

2  Thank emilyjD5800YQ
Reviewed 3 August 2018

Definitely worth the trip to Old Rag. Get there early with heavy traffic later of the day. Expect to use all four to boulder around the top of Old Rag.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 26 July 2018

This is a challenging hike. It is not your typical hike either. There are multiple boulders you will have to maneuver through. My husband is not flexible and it was very difficult for him. Often, you need to anchor part of your body while reaching/stretching your leg to another area. This is not ideal for young children. There are amazing scenic views, but you need to be comfortable with heights. When the hike is over and you're finally done with the boulders, there is still a two mile walk back to your car.
We hike on a Tuesday and there were a few people out there with us; a very manageable amount of people. I heard if you go on a Saturday, you could be waiting at the bottom of a boulder for 30 minutes waiting for your turn to climb.

Date of experience: May 2018