Big Meadows Lodge(Shenandoah National Park)
US$ 154
  • Restaurant
Skyland(Shenandoah National Park)
US$ 240
US$ 169
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
Big Meadows Campground(Shenandoah National Park)
All reviewsfire pitthese cabinscamp storesmall campgroundfree coffee in the morningcabin areapicnic areacovered picnicpet friendly cabinskyline driveconnecting bathroombig meadowshot showerbear boxstore managertent campingsmall store
Reviewed 23 April 2017

My lady & I, along with Mrs Jones our service dog, just spent a wonderful week in Shenandoah, staying at Lewis Mountain Cabins. Definitely rustic - we had a two bedroom cabin with connecting bathroom so lots of space for the three of us. We used one room for clothes and food storage and slept in the other one. Shower works fine - always able hot water. Bed was comfortable, sheets were clean. Not too many mice around - perhaps because of Mrs Jones who nearly caught one our first evening there. The fire pit and picnic table at the back of the cabin were perfect for cooking dinner almost every evening. As others have mentioned the complimentary coffee in the store was very good. Both Randy and Nigel were excellent hosts with lots of local information and stories. There is no regular maid service but fresh towels and bed linens were available for the asking. Store reasonably well stocked. Firewood a little pricy but convenience counts! This is a nice small location with about 15 cabins and 28 campsites so it is very very quiet at night - which is great as then you can hear the owls calling as they fly by around dusk.

The cabins have quite a history as Lewis Mountain was the designated "Negro resort" for the park when first built some 80 years ago. Not much has changed about the cabins on the exterior although I suspect the bathroom was a later addition. We both appreciated the rustic nature of the place and were very happy there. Just a minor quibble - while rustic is good a little capital could be invested in new sinks, taps and the like. Every tap dripped and I shudder to think of the amount of water that gets wasted everyday if all cabins are the same.

Overall an excellent spot - but if you want to stay on a weekend then plan well ahead - like 14 months or so. During the week is quieter.

We had some excellent hikes and a wonderful week.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger61Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2017

Lewis Mountain Cabins is in a great location in the Shenandoah National Park just off of Skyline Drive. Its historic and scenic. Its one of the smaller lodging areas in the park which is great! Some of the trails most highly rated hiking trails are located very close as well. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

I enjoyed hiking nearby which was made possible because of "Randy" who worked in the check in office. Randy was incredible, friendly and his knowledge of the Shenandoah appears to be second to none! We followed all of his recommendations, where to eat, trails, and parking. Randy never steered us wrong and I was glad I listened to him. He was the most helpful Shenandoah representative I have ever met during my many visits throughout the years to Shenandoah National Park. If Randy is not a manger or supervisor now, it would be very smart to promote him or give him a raise because that guy is one heck of an employee. I even asked to get a picture with him at the end. He really took care of us.

I would recommend staying here to everyone I know.

Room Tip: Better views may be on the opposite of cabin 1.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jcwpoole10016
Reviewed 14 April 2017

We arrived late and the friendly and cheerful store manager helped us get checked in. We found the cabins clean and comfortable and the next day found that we could drive to the view spots on skyline drive easily.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Arun-Deat
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Quaint, charming, simple. We love building a fire in the evening and hiking in Big Meadows at sunset. The air is very fresh in the mountains and the cabin area is very peaceful. We come here several times a year if we can.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2017

The early 20th century cabins are simple, cozy and beautifully built. They are also clean and well maintained. No cooking facilities -- but you can cook out back over a grill. The setting is lovely. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly -- we arrived after the official office closing time, but the manager stayed open and helped us. I stayed with my son on our way to hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family