All reviews nature center yucca valley joshua trees flush toilets running water mid week fire pit hiking trails great campsite west entrance main part nice hikes main attractions close to town visitor center spring break minute drive
Reviewed 18 November 2017

We tried to camp here in Spring, but it was constantly booked...which I guess is the message you should book late Fall! The campsite was not crowded. We tent camp and we were lucky we were not near heavy generator users. There were areas of the campground we noticed it was a symphony of generators and TV noise. The sites can be close together. No showers, but clean bathrooms and water pumps available. They also have recycling and propane canister bins.

Great place to watch beautiful sunrises and there are some nice hikes right out of the park.

Room Tip: Look on the boundaries of the campground for your own piece of heaven (site). Don't drive up the middle first thing for a site.
Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2017

If you are planning to go to Joshua Tree for the weekend, but have to work on Friday (during busy season of the park) then there are two solid options I'd recommend for the sole fact that you may make reservations ahead of time.

1- Indian Cove (101 sites, $20/night, 3200ft in elevation)
2- Black Rock (99 sites. $20 per night. 4,000 feet in elevation)

The rest of the camp sites are first come, first serve. When I called on Wednesday night prior to leaving, the ranger said we would not have a chance to get a site coming in late Friday night since it is the "busy season."
I'm glad I called before because right after I got off the phone I went to the website to make a reservation. I wanted to book Indian Cove since it is in the park, but it was full. I ended up booking the last site at Black Rock so I was relieved since we had already been planning this trip for a few weeks, but didn't know it was going to be so crowded.

Black Rock is great and clean, but it is outside the park. To get to the other hikes and sites you will need to drive about 30-45 mins.

Travel Tip: The restrooms at Black Rock were exceptionally clean. The girl I was with was extremely happy and I was pleasantly surprised as well. None of the sites have showers.

Another bathroom related travel tip: We had been out all day so we both needed to pee in the main part of the park. We had heard there was a strict enforcement that campers must use the restrooms. When I went into the restroom, I literally almost threw up (I feel kinda of sick right now even thinking about the smell as I write). It was probably the 2nd worst bathroom I have ever been to. I didn't even have time to unzip my pants before I was running out of there. We went back to our car and ended up using the clean restrooms at Black Rock. (THANK YOU BLACK ROCK STAFF FOR KEEPING THE RESTROOMS CLEAN). The girl I was with said she would rather stay at Black Rock every time and just drive 40 mins to the main park in order to have clean restrooms.

Overall: I would recommend for people who have to work on Fridays during the JT busy season OR want a clean bathroom. Other than that, if you can get a spot at any of the other sites besides Black Rock, I'd probably recommend that since you will be in the park.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I was able to reserve online using my Lifetime NP pass...got 50% discount so I was happy about that! The sites are good sized and staggered enough so you do not feel like you are are top of one another! I woudl have preferred a campsite inside the park to get away from the light pollution of 29 Palms, but overall I was very pleased!

Room Tip: Take a look at the loops = plenty of options...I chose #49...liked the spot - excellent for sunrise!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2017

This was my second spring at Black Rock. In total, there were 5 of us and we all stayed at site 12, including 2 cars, even though it's supposed to be a 3 person, 1 car site. The ranger allowed it since we were able to fit everything comfortably and didn't really have enough stuff to warrant the two sites we had originally reserved. Since it was a busy weekend and they were able to resell our second site, we also got a refund for one site.

Site 12 was nice because it was close to the bathroom and water. The bathrooms, again, were reasonably clean, but no soap or paper towels. It should be noted that we did have to essentially walk between sites 3 and 4 to reach the bathroom, which was just across the "road" from site 3. We were back-to-back with site 3. We didn't feel too horrible about it because site 3 was rather large and they were rather loud.

Noise can be a downside to Black Rock, especially in the areas where the sites are closer to together, such as sites 3 and 12. Wind can also be an issue, but that's just the nature of Joshua Tree. Be prepared with enough stakes and blankets.

Something different this year was a man appearing out of the dark to sell us wood. A little creepy and I doubt he was Park-authorized, but it just added to the experience. He was visiting campsites and offering to sell bundles for $5 or $10 depending on size. Most of it was plywood and burned quickly, but it was nice to not have to go into town to get more wood. Campers were pretty nice about paying it forward if they had leftover wood too.

Overall, I would continue staying at Black Rock because of the views, the cleanliness, the nature center, and the available water.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2017

You cannot drive directly through the park to any of the attractions from this campground (you need to leave the park and re-enter) but it is not a far drive and has the added bonus that it is close to all the amenities in Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree, including a gas station and the Walmart.

We bought a threaded butane/propane camp stove canister (the red MSR ones) at Nomad Ventures since Walmart only had the green Coleman ones stocked. Nomad Ventures is right across the street from Coyote Corner where you can have a shower for $4 for 7 minutes. Both are located a short drive from Black Rock Campground.

The campsites themselves are nice and have some trees / shrubs. We went in the off-season and found the facilities to be clean. There is potable water.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple