“Wonderful Campsite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree National Park
Black Rock Campground
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I was able to reserve online using my Lifetime NP pass...got 50% discount so I was happy about that! The sites are good sized and staggered enough so you do not feel like you are are top of one another! I woudl have preferred a campsite inside the park to get away from the light pollution of 29 Palms, but overall I was very pleased!

Room Tip: Take a look at the loops = plenty of options...I chose #49...liked the spot - excellent for sunrise!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 October 2017

This was my second spring at Black Rock. In total, there were 5 of us and we all stayed at site 12, including 2 cars, even though it's supposed to be a 3 person, 1 car site. The ranger allowed it since we were able to fit everything comfortably and didn't really have enough stuff to warrant the two sites we had originally reserved. Since it was a busy weekend and they were able to resell our second site, we also got a refund for one site.

Site 12 was nice because it was close to the bathroom and water. The bathrooms, again, were reasonably clean, but no soap or paper towels. It should be noted that we did have to essentially walk between sites 3 and 4 to reach the bathroom, which was just across the "road" from site 3. We were back-to-back with site 3. We didn't feel too horrible about it because site 3 was rather large and they were rather loud.

Noise can be a downside to Black Rock, especially in the areas where the sites are closer to together, such as sites 3 and 12. Wind can also be an issue, but that's just the nature of Joshua Tree. Be prepared with enough stakes and blankets.

Something different this year was a man appearing out of the dark to sell us wood. A little creepy and I doubt he was Park-authorized, but it just added to the experience. He was visiting campsites and offering to sell bundles for $5 or $10 depending on size. Most of it was plywood and burned quickly, but it was nice to not have to go into town to get more wood. Campers were pretty nice about paying it forward if they had leftover wood too.

Overall, I would continue staying at Black Rock because of the views, the cleanliness, the nature center, and the available water.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2017

You cannot drive directly through the park to any of the attractions from this campground (you need to leave the park and re-enter) but it is not a far drive and has the added bonus that it is close to all the amenities in Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree, including a gas station and the Walmart.

We bought a threaded butane/propane camp stove canister (the red MSR ones) at Nomad Ventures since Walmart only had the green Coleman ones stocked. Nomad Ventures is right across the street from Coyote Corner where you can have a shower for $4 for 7 minutes. Both are located a short drive from Black Rock Campground.

The campsites themselves are nice and have some trees / shrubs. We went in the off-season and found the facilities to be clean. There is potable water.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SandyTO2009
Reviewed 7 May 2017

We chose Black Rock because we knew we would be arriving late and wanted to guarantee a spot. Bathrooms were clean and did have running water.
The campground is inside of the park, but not accessible to the rest of the park (~20 min drive back out of the park to the nearest entrance). It was also very WINDY -- we thought it was just the weather while we were there but seems others are giving similar feedback.

We had a great time - but next time, would love to try some of the other campgrounds in the park.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2017

My wife and I planned a return to Joshua Tree earlier this year and booked at this campground. We did not know the campground, and were surprised when we learned that it is basically "outside" the park, since it in the very north part of the park, and to get to the main sites in the park, you must depart the campground, drive 5 miles to the main road, drive to the Joshua Tree entrance and then re-enter the park, which is a little disappointing.

The park itself is a nice desert park, and the big plus here is running water. There are some trails here, but we were too tired to try them after doing some other hikes. We had campsite 23, which on the map looks like it is toward the edge of the camp. We had expected some noise / quiet benefits from that location, but unfortunately, on Friday night, it seemed that there were about 5+ tents of drunken millenials just across the way, who yelled, played music and debated the merits of Jack Johnson until about 1 in the morning. I can't imagine that anyone within 100 yards of these people got a decent night sleep, and there was no evidence of Park Rangers trying to keep these people civil. I told my wife that I could not do another night, but she convinced me to do some hiking on Saturday and come back and then decide if we pack up. When we returned to the site, all the millenials had packed up and left, and although I could see from the reservation board that they booked 2 nights, I guess they could not deal with the cold and left, thankfully.

Our sleep on the second night is how I remember camping to be. Mostly quiet, you hear people even very late, but there are few and not obnoxious, and seemed to show some respect for those sleeping.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I am definitely going to have earplugs, and I am going to ask the Rangers when I see them on their policy on late night noise.

Room Tip: Download the campsite map and identify where you want to camp
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Been to Black Rock Campground? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK