“Bring earplugs to get some sleep!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree National Park
Black Rock Campground
Reviewed 1 May 2017

My wife and I planned a return to Joshua Tree earlier this year and booked at this campground. We did not know the campground, and were surprised when we learned that it is basically "outside" the park, since it in the very north part of the park, and to get to the main sites in the park, you must depart the campground, drive 5 miles to the main road, drive to the Joshua Tree entrance and then re-enter the park, which is a little disappointing.

The park itself is a nice desert park, and the big plus here is running water. There are some trails here, but we were too tired to try them after doing some other hikes. We had campsite 23, which on the map looks like it is toward the edge of the camp. We had expected some noise / quiet benefits from that location, but unfortunately, on Friday night, it seemed that there were about 5+ tents of drunken millenials just across the way, who yelled, played music and debated the merits of Jack Johnson until about 1 in the morning. I can't imagine that anyone within 100 yards of these people got a decent night sleep, and there was no evidence of Park Rangers trying to keep these people civil. I told my wife that I could not do another night, but she convinced me to do some hiking on Saturday and come back and then decide if we pack up. When we returned to the site, all the millenials had packed up and left, and although I could see from the reservation board that they booked 2 nights, I guess they could not deal with the cold and left, thankfully.

Our sleep on the second night is how I remember camping to be. Mostly quiet, you hear people even very late, but there are few and not obnoxious, and seemed to show some respect for those sleeping.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I am definitely going to have earplugs, and I am going to ask the Rangers when I see them on their policy on late night noise.

Room Tip: Download the campsite map and identify where you want to camp
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

Probably the most accessible campground. Spacious pitches and fell asleep looking up at hundreds of stars. Hosts and very helpful and even when full, the campground wasn't noisy (apart from the coyotes). Took a walk to High View Trail in the morning (1.5 miles) and saw a snake and loads of other wildlife. This hike is fine for kids. Can't recommend the campground highly enough.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 5cruffy
Reviewed 15 April 2017

This campground is NOT located inside Joshua Tree National Park but in the town of Yucca Valley which is 11 miles to the nearest park entrance. You drive through a local neighborhood to reach the park entrance which left me disenchanted. In the distance, I could hear a neighbor's dog barking. Even though my reservation was tent only, I found myself near an RV that had it's generator running. Black Rock accepts reservations where the campsites inside the park do not. The campground is among joshua trees with mountain views but one I would not return to.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2017

I joined my cousins for a night at Black Rock where we enjoyed camping in the National Park. Our spaces 27 and 28 meant that we were near flush toilets, recycling receptacles, a higher elevation than most other campsites, and of course, lots of Joshua trees and open space to the west. The campground was pretty quiet - no sounds of generators or late night Spring Break partiers - which was a huge plus! The full moon - priceless! Potable water was available a few steps away from our campsite. You also have a picnic table and fire ring. Apparently there is an excellent trail that heads south out of the campground that I will explore the next time we're there.

Room Tip: Spaces numbered in the 20s.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2017

This is one of the two camping sites that you can reserve ahead of time at Joshua Tree National Park (other one is Indian Cove). We chose Black Rock as it was west of the park and closer to LA, also because it is the only campground with running water and flush toilets! The tradeoff is that it is outside of the park, so about a 20 minute drive to the west entrance, 30 minutes to the Oasis Visitor Center. Since it's outside the park and close to residences, you get cell reception unlike in the park.

We arrived after the Black Rock Nature Center was closed (where you register), but was able to find a map of the campground on the bulletin board and found our site easily. They also post a list of who is at which site on the bulletin board, which helps if you don't have your paperwork with you. Our site was great; perfectly flat area that was nestled by Joshua trees which provided some shade for our tent. Each site has a picnic table, fire pit and good sized parking area.

While the sites are fairly close together as some other reviewers have noted, they are not any closer than at other sites where we have camped. Luckily, we had great neighbors all around who were respectful of the quiet hours. Actually, the loudest thing all evening was the wind! Boy, was it blowing - glad we carefully staked our tent when we set up. The temperature does drop quite a bit with the wind blowing, so be sure to bring a jacket.

Campground was decently maintained. Roads had some bumps, etc., but not exactly unexpected for a camp site. The bathrooms at Black Rock were well maintained and clean; sign showed that it is closed mid-day for daily cleaning.

Overall, a great campsite for folks who are looking for the ease of car camping!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Been to Black Rock Campground? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK