Ways to Experience Haleakala Crater
from US$ 235.33
from US$ 14.99
from US$ 244.74
7,992 results
All reviews the big island sunrise or sunset the sun rise sea level warm clothes bring a jacket bike ride visitor center cloud cover parking spot winding road amazing views kula lodge sliding sands trail long pants viewing area parking lot
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 August 2021 via mobile

Absolutely stunning mountaintop views! Even the drive up is fun as you experience different climates. We visited mid day and hiked down Sliding Sands Trail. Thinner air for sure and cold and windy- dress accordingly and bring water/ snacks.

Reviewed 26 August 2021 via mobile

An unforgettable experience going to the volcano and enjoying the amazing sunrise on top of the Haleakala crater. The trip was amazing and the guide was very professional with an impressive knowledge about Hawaii history and habitat. We really enjoyed this wonderful trip and will never forget this amazing experience.

1  Thank H5174ZMirisg
Reviewed 18 August 2021

Absolutely beautiful! Definitely take the trip to visit this stunning crater and explore the top of the volcano. If I had done more research we probably would have taken the time to do the 8mile round trip hike down into the crater, but the views alone were worth the trip. We got to the crater at around 10/11am on a Sunday and it was not too busy and the rangers were very informative.

2  Thank StephiGix
Reviewed 18 August 2021 via mobile

Left our condo at 3:30 in Kihei arrived at 5 am. Road is not easy in the dark. Bathroom situation is not good, so be prepared. Wear lots of layers. It is freezing. When the sun barely starts to rise, the red fireball is incredible to see. We were lucky to have good weather and the clouds did not disappoint.

2  Thank jwm1989
Reviewed 12 August 2021 via mobile

I cannot believe I almost missed out on going here. My girlfriend and I love nature and astronomy. We went once during the day to see the beautiful views (we passed on the hike into the crater as the altitude was just a bit much for us to adjust to) then came back a different day to see the night sky.

The entrance fee is $30 for 3 days and while there isn’t any other option I felt this was fair for a national park. Nothing was open due to Covid but the bathrooms were at the visitor center during the day and at night.

If you want to drive some of this during the day, we began our drive from the base around 7-7:30 per the advice from a ranger. The drive down wasn’t scary if anything it reminded me a lot of space mountain. Our night drive was FREE as we didn’t need to pay to enter so absolutely come here to star gaze. I have never seen so many shooting stars in my lifetime nor seen the milk way so vibrant. You could do a tour which I planned on doing but everything was booked. Bring or don’t bring your own telescope and enjoy the views for what they’re worth. It truly was an experience I’ll never forget. Just remember once you park to turn off your headlights as soon as you can to be respectful to others.