“Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips - Grand Tetons National Park - TOP NOTCH !!!!!!”

Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips, conducted entirely within the unspoiled natural environment of Grand Teton National Park, provide the best opportunities for viewing wildlife and the Teton Mountains in the Jackson Hole area. This protected section of the Snake River flows swiftly in places and otherwise meanders peacefully through many side channels, affording our guests an unique river experience. Our guides provide interpretation of the natural history of the park and its wildlife with a depth of experience to make every trip special.
Reviewed 20 January 2018

I selected Barker-Ewing Scenic Float because of their being the gold standard and being in business for well over 50 years !!! And we were not disappointed whatsoever. We had a very experienced river guide, knowledgeable about the history, the geology, the topography, the wildlife, etc. etc....had been been river running for many years !!!

The float down the Snake River itself was very relaxing...we were visiting in mid-September, so the water levels were lower than during the Spring/early Summer melt runoff, and the current was a bit slower as well. This made for a smooth and gentle voyage.

The scenery was spectacular, and the perspective was totally unique for photography, as well.

We put in at Dead Man's Bar, and the floated downriver for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, pulling out at Moose Village.

Along the way, we saw plenty of birds, including 3 bald headed eagles, and a moose just lounging along the river bank !!!

Reservations are required.

Take lots of photos...Enjoy !!!

(Note: If your schedule allows, try to visit in early Spring, before Memorial Day weekend...and for sure before July 4th...or visit in early Fall, just after Labor Day weekend. You will not have to deal with the huge crowds, the congestion, the noise, the hassle of parking, etc. etc. We went the first full week after Labor Day and the crowds were GONE !!! Easy to park, easy to take photographs...heck, not many people were even at some of the places we visited. But bring layers of clothes, because even though the days will be comfortable, the evenings will be quite cold. You might even encounter some snow and freezing temps!!! But it was so worth it not having to contend with the tourist season crowds. And you see so much more wildlife, too...the animals are finally able to come out into the open and not be confronted with thousands of people bothering them).

2  Thank lanceo53
tetontepee, Owner at Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Hi, Lance53,

Trying one more time to get a "thank you" posted to you for this marvelous and helpful review.! For some reason, my efforts to respond to you last January were never posted by TA. You provided so much helpful information, and I do hope that many folks who may be planning a trip here will be able to benefit from your helpful suggestions.

Barbara Barker, owner

in 7 reviews
"spot wildlife"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 10 January 2018

This raft/float trip was a pleasant surprise. I have rafted many rivers, including The Grand, so my expectations weren't high. However, I'd highly recommend this float trip. There was no white water, but we were there in September. However, it was a different way to see some of the Park. The highlight was our guide, Grant. He was a local and very knowledgeable.

tetontepee, Owner at Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2018

Dear WorldloverSanta Fe,

As I sit here in our log home in Moose with snow blowing around, it is quite a delightful surprise to receive your review. The river season seems quite distant at this time of year (but I remind myself that the days ARE getting longer!) Thank you for your thoughtful and kind remarks! I too have been down the Colorado River and know how spectacular that is, and I appreciate your acknowledgement of the two river experiences, both unique in their own way. Grant, your guide, will be especially pleased.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

We had originally booked this trip on a Friday, but the weather was poor. The company gladly rebooked us for Sunday. The float was great and we all enjoyed the trip down the Snake River. Our guide was Reynolds Pomeroy and we recommend you get him if possible. Besides being very knowledgable about the history and environmental aspects of the river and the location of the animals, he was very articulate, personable and well spoken as well as very skilled with guiding the boat. He made the trip more enjoyable that it already was.

tetontepee, Owner at Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Helo, luzbel,

I was surprised and delighted to read your excellent review, as I watch snow coming down here in the Tetons and the season for river floating seems in the distant past. Thank you very much for your enthusiasm. I will pass your comments on to Reynolds and I'm sure they will brighten this dreary day for him, as they have mine!

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Highlight of our vacation. I have whitewater rafted in the Appalachian Mountains and this is a trip anyone, young or old, will enjoy. It is non-threatening with no white water. 2 hours. 10 miles. Very beautiful. Great guide.

tetontepee, Owner at Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Eaton_Out,

It's a very nice surprise to have a TA review come in after the season, and we thank you very much for your complementary comments! We are very pleased that you consider the float trip to be a "highlight" of your visit here, and hope you'll be back again sometime in the future.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 September 2017

My wife and I joined two other couples on a Barker Ewing scenic float trip on the Snake River on 9/23. Our float started at 8am and was a little cool but the spectacular scenery made any discomfort worth it. We had astounding views of the Tetons and were lucky enough to see creatures and raptors! Our boatman and guide (Mike) was very personable and knowledgeable and provided lots of interesting information on what we were seeing plus his skill made our float very safe, fun, and comfortable. We were able to get lots of great photos. I would highly recommend the trip

tetontepee, Owner at Barker-Ewing Scenic Float Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Hi, Robert D:

I remember that the date you took your float trip was quite chilly (that was the date we were celebrating 55 years of Barker-Ewing Float Trips, which my late husband Dick Barker started back in 1963). I'm very glad you enjoyed your trip in spite of the cold weather that morning! Thank you very much for your review.

Barbara Barker, owner