“Animal abuse at Havasupai”
Review of Havasu Canyon

Havasu Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: Cascading waterfalls and sky-high cottonwoods mark this canyon, an off shoot of the Grand Canyon, which is reached by a challenging hike and offers many idyllic spots for exploring, picnicking and camping.
Reviewed 17 April 2017

I just recently visited Havasupai for the first time from April 14th to 16th and although it is amazingly beautiful there, I couldn't get something off my mind. The horses and mules at Havasupai are mistreated and abused. While hiking down through the canyon I witnessed mules with open wounds due to the straps rubbing against them and their packs weighing them down. Then to my horror, my husband and I witnessed the most disgusting, heart wrenching animal abuse words cannot describe. We were about a half mile from the trail head and we saw an all black horse fall to his knees, the wrangler jumped off his horse and began to kick the horse to get up. The horse was not able to get up so the man started throwing rocks at the horse. While all this was happening the rope that they use to tie down everyone's baggage was caught on a rock and choking the horse. Once the man saw that the horse couldn't breathe he began to take the bags off the horse. My husband offered to help the man but he was aggravated and did not accept. We quickly made our way to the top of the trail head to tell the other workers including the "park ranger" but they could care less. I am disgusted and I will do everything I can to help those animals. I do not understand how us humans allow this to go on and continue providing business for this. If you cannot carry your items to and from the canyon then take the helicopter or don't go at all, do not support this abuse!

55  Thank gymlovechelss
in 5 reviews
"canyon"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 12 April 2017

This is probably the most famous of all the stops you will be making on a river trip down the Grand Canyon. Havasu Canyon is easily spotted by the crystal clear water flowing out into the Colorado. The inlet into Havasu creek provides the perfect parking spots for dories and rafts. You can either swim in through the the creek if you can beat the currents or hike into the canyon. Either way its a very interesting topography inside unlike much of what you see on the river. This side canyon is full of vegetation especially due to this creek which has pretty strong currents and volume in some places. You may choose to hike deep inside but please bear in mind that somewhere along the trail starts the Hualapai tribal lands and to enter you need a special permit which costs about a hundred dollars if I am not wrong. The hike to the Havasu Falls is quite long and would probably take about 3 hours from the river. If you don't want to go into the complications of the permits then you can relax inside the Havasu Canyon as well and enjoy the sounds of gushing water as long its on non-indian lands. On the other hand if you do want to visit the Havasu Falls, its well worth the visit plus its easier to get there from the river than to hike in from the land, let your river trip agency know well beforehand to see if they can arrange for the permits. Bear in mind you cant camp at the Havasu confluence and its extremely congested during the peak season with rafts and dories fighting for a parking spot. So plan well and keep atl east a good five to six hours to visit the falls and come back.If you get a chance go the distance to Havasu Falls

4  Thank RaktimRay
Reviewed 3 April 2017

We started out in the dark as we heard it was a tough hike. We ran into a couple guys on the way out and they needed water so we gave them some. They were very happy for it. Let me step back first and say that driving in was not very safe. Met a lot of bull elk on the way in at midnight, at 60mph. Watch out!!! The hike turned out to be not too bad. We started early enough so the heat never got to us. We got to the village and checked in and then explored the first falls!! No words, just beautiful We then went to the next falls and it was even better!! The beautiful water in the middle of the desert. Pictures don't to it justice. We then set up camp and explored the next waterfall!!! Even better!!! Climbing down the tunnel made for an even better experience. We then went to our last waterfall and that was beautiful as well!!! Saw a group of big horned sheep up close and personal. What a wonderful place. One of the best places I have ever been. Will have to go back soon to get better pictures. I didn't bring a good camera as I didn't want to pack it in. Definitely will next time!!!! Enjoy!!!!! Please note that the hike back out is much more difficult. Had to carry my wife's pack out for the last mile or so.

6  Thank rex m
Reviewed 17 February 2017

I hold memories of this place in my heart, from the first time I visited in 1969. I have been back two more times, although the most recent was in the 1980's before it became more crowded. I can't comment on the conditions there now, but I can say that over the years I have told many people that it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen--and I've seen a lot of amazing places! The falls, the high canyon walls, the sense of solitude and distance, and the contrast of the blue sky-red rock-turquoise water are all incredible. If this sounds like something you'd like, do it!

1  Thank Greg C