“Desert fun” 5 of 5 bubbles

Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel
Hong Kong, China
“Desert fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is all about location. You pay for the experience of solitude away from hoards of tourists and coaches. Hotel rooms are motel quality and the AC is loud however the rooms were very clean with plenty of towels and a refrigerator. Get up at dawn, grab a cup of free coffee from the rec room and marvel at nature.

1 Thank Luckyb99
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stovepipe is in the park which is the only reason to stay. You literally cannot check in until 4:00 p.m. We arrived at 3:58 and had to wait two minutes with other guest standing around waiting for 4:00 with the staff sitting around waiting for two minutes. Meals are serverd at specific times so we had to wait until 6:30 p.m. for the restaurant to open to eat. If you are from different time zones, waiting for pacific times may be an issue especially with kids. From the other reviews, we decided to stay on the safe side and ordered a cheeseburger which was amazingly terrible at the restraurant. It was undercooked and overly salted.

The rooms were fairly large and they do have AC and it is very loud, so not for light sleepers. The walls between the rooms are also very thin and you can hear everything; however, the AC does drown out most sounds when it is on. You can take a shower standing up right if you are very short. If you are taller than 5 feet you will have to duck down. The tub is very slippery and I almost hit my head from tryihng to bend down to wash my hair. There is no mat in the tub to prevent slipping, so you may want to bring one along.

Other than the fact that it is in a National Park, there is no other reason to stay here.

The service is OK but you do everything on the resorts time. The room was clean. Everything including the room is overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We first started coming to Stovepipe Wells many years ago, and this is my second review of the motel. Sadly, I feel I have to report that the place is, like the title of my review, not worth the price but, unfortunately, the only game in town.

Our room was $130 per night. We stayed in the Panamints portion of the motel. No fridge. What? It is 101 degrees F out and no fridge in the room? Piles of sand on the window sill. Yes, I know this is the desert and there were minor sand storms while we were there, but how about sweeping it up while we are exploring for the day?

The first day we were out exploring, we came back at 3pm to find the room not yet made up. After exploring a little more, we came back a little later to find the beds made but (1) overflowing trash cans not emptied and (2) our wet towels still left sitting on the floor of the bathroom - left there because, at most motels/hotels, that signifies we'd like to have our towels replaced. The next day, again, a very late cleanup of the room and this time, the pile of sand my son unfortunately left when emptying his shoes after a trip to the sand dunes was still there - right by the front door.

I understand that we are out in the desert. Sand is everywhere. I am fine with a rustic experience - I've stayed here before. But the prices have gone up, and this room and its service is not worth $130 per night.

As for the air conditioning, it was so loud and would go on and off all night that we finally decided to sleep with the windows open. It was hot, but better than the noise of the air conditioner.

Unfortunately, there isn't any other option unless you head into Furnace Creek which is much busier so you trade in the quieter pace of Stovepipe Wells for which you pay $130 a night for a much more touristy experience in Furnace Creek.

I wouldn't let my review stop you from staying at Stovepipe Wells - the location is still stunning and I do prefer the quietness to Furnace Creek with it's tour busses and larger spread. Just know that you are paying a premium for these accommodations.

1 Thank Gingerpeachy
Anderson, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

This place has that old west feel. It is definitely a desert landscape. The motel is old an quirky, which we enjoyed. We were in the Roadrunner building. Our room had had some updates but was still pretty basic. It was clean and comfortable. Our air conditioner looked newer and wasn't overly loud. We had no difficulty with having hot water. We ate dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. The food was fine but nothing special. The staff was helpful and friendly. The lounge was great for coffee and had a couple computers for guests to use. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
san jose
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Even though I had read the reviews and knew not to expect much I was still a little disappointed. Our room was not charming, just a very small, basic room with no tv, telephone or refrigerator. Wifi only works sometimes and is very slow as it is satellite (netfix won't download). There are very few drawers to put things away. The beds were lumpy and seemed small too. Maybe they are full sized, not queen? I stayed three nights with my two kids, aged 5 and 8, and didn't get a lick of sleep. The air conditioner sounded like a disel truck starting up everytime it cycled on. If you choose to rely on the ceiling fan, your neighbor's ac will wake you up anyway. Or your neighbors will slam their sticky door and wake you! Wish I had brought ear plugs. It was not terrible and on the positive side, we were inside the park. I think if I had paid half the price, I would not have minded at all. We only ate at the restaurant for dinner but it was surprisingly decent and pricing was not bad. The three of us ate dinner there three nights for under $40 each time (no drinks or dessert). My kids really liked the quesadillas, mac-n-cheese (homemade not Kraft!) and chicken strips. My favorite was the tostada salad (no meat) and the cheeseburger. Other reviewers are right about the gas. Buy it across the street. It was $1 a gallon more at Furnace Creek.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scigrl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Death Valley National Park
30.1 km away
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Reso...
#2 of 3 in Death Valley National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,290 reviews
0.0 km away
Red Bud Lodge
Red Bud Lodge
#2 of 3 in El Portal

Been to Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK