“Enjoyed Stovepipe Wells”

Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel
Anderson, Indiana
“Enjoyed Stovepipe Wells”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This place has that old west feel. It is definitely a desert landscape. The motel is old an quirky, which we enjoyed. We were in the Roadrunner building. Our room had had some updates but was still pretty basic. It was clean and comfortable. Our air conditioner looked newer and wasn't overly loud. We had no difficulty with having hot water. We ate dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. The food was fine but nothing special. The staff was helpful and friendly. The lounge was great for coffee and had a couple computers for guests to use. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
san jose
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Even though I had read the reviews and knew not to expect much I was still a little disappointed. Our room was not charming, just a very small, basic room with no tv, telephone or refrigerator. Wifi only works sometimes and is very slow as it is satellite (netfix won't download). There are very few drawers to put things away. The beds were lumpy and seemed small too. Maybe they are full sized, not queen? I stayed three nights with my two kids, aged 5 and 8, and didn't get a lick of sleep. The air conditioner sounded like a disel truck starting up everytime it cycled on. If you choose to rely on the ceiling fan, your neighbor's ac will wake you up anyway. Or your neighbors will slam their sticky door and wake you! Wish I had brought ear plugs. It was not terrible and on the positive side, we were inside the park. I think if I had paid half the price, I would not have minded at all. We only ate at the restaurant for dinner but it was surprisingly decent and pricing was not bad. The three of us ate dinner there three nights for under $40 each time (no drinks or dessert). My kids really liked the quesadillas, mac-n-cheese (homemade not Kraft!) and chicken strips. My favorite was the tostada salad (no meat) and the cheeseburger. Other reviewers are right about the gas. Buy it across the street. It was $1 a gallon more at Furnace Creek.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scigrl
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 12 April 2012 via mobile

Very little choice of lodging if you stay in DV Natl Park. This place has charm and 'old west' feel that you associate with Death Valley. The rooms are adequate and the saloon for dinner and drinks is fun place to gather after a day touring the park. Sit at bar and strike up a conversation with your fellow travelers or bartenders. I found the much higher priced Furnace Creek filled with tour busses and tourists. Stovepipe has a genuine feel.

Stayed April 2012
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 10 April 2012

You have few options in Death Valley. Stove Pipe Wells is an adequate motel with a more-than-adequate restaurant for dinner (breakfast "buffet" less-than-adequate). Hot water was available only four of our six showers, but there was no extra charge for the bat in our room. Staff was disinterested, they know they have a captive audience. Nonetheless, DV is worth a visit of several days to experience the beautiful and weird landscape and exceptional hiking and photography.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gogogo28
Napa, California
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Any hotel at any National Park is going to be pricey. That is a given! I chose the cheapest room knowing it was just to sleep and take a shower. The room was no frills, sans television and telephone. Since I did not have a deluxe room, I did not have a refrigerator. Except for what looked like a few dry noodles on the floor, the room appeared clean and the bed wasn't that bad. The bathroom had dispenser's with soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Complimentary water and coffee were also in the room. The room was small but didn't feel cramped but I was only one person.

Parking was ample and close by. Most rooms had parking right outside their door. There was an ice machine across from my room. In addition, I got a coupon while checking in for a free bag of ice from the general store across the street. A very pleasant surprise was that there is a security guy watching things and walking around. I never felt unsafe but it was still nice to know he was there. Right across from the restaurant was a "computer" room with two computers with internet to use for free. I was not far from the restaurant and saloon which were just steps away. If you wanted to order anything to-go, you order it from the saloon which is connected to the restaurant. The bartender was a bit overwhelmed (and not exactly that friendly) and when I came back for my food forgot my side salad. An appetizer of four chicken taquitos and a small side salad.....$14.00

There is a pool but I was too exhausted to go check it out. The only issue I had was that my keys did not work all the time. I'm not sure if sand is getting into the lock slots or what.

Based on all of the above, you cannot beat the location. You are in the middle of the park and right next to the Mesquite sand dunes which was perfect for getting up at 4:00AM to take sunrise photos. Check in and out was quick. Most of the staff I encountered were friendly.

I spent my first two nights in a hotel in Beatty which was only 30 miles outside of the park. After long days of hiking, driving, and photography through the park, those 30 miles felt like 100. To be inside of the park, especially Death Valley NP, is the only way to go!

On a side-note: Gas is available at the Stovepipe Wells General Store. It is a few cents cheaper then at Furnace Creek which I saw at $6.01 a gallon for premium. If you can hang on till you get to the Nevada side, it was averaging $3.80 or so a gallon over there.

Room Tip: Reserve your room as soon as you can! All three resorts in Death Valley fill up quick!