All reviewspublic bathtop floorsensoji templenice ryokanwestern stylecomfortable futonsa great place to staymen and womenlocation is greatquiet at nightrooms were very cleansky tree towerfour nightseasy accessjapanenglishnarita
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

First time in Tokyo, we wanted to try everything new. We have been in this Ryokan for 3 nights, and it was very nice.
The staff is very pleasant, kind and helpful. Everything was made to make us feel confortable. The rooms are very japanese : little with a sober design.

On the 6th floor, you can enjoy a public bath (men and women are separated), with an awesome view with the tower of the asakusa park.

This place aims at beeing rated 5 stars, but as we are not made for the traditional futon (every morning it was sooooooo hard, with ackes everywhere), i have decided to lower the rate (and it is not their fault). You understand that futon is not made for everyone.

Have a good journey!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2018

great location in the middle of Asakusa, yet still remain the JP traditional Ryokan style. And most important. it is very quite place. The staffs speak english and tried hard to help you very much. The breakfast in JP style and I loved it. Though the public bath was a bit small but i understand due to it's a ryokan right in the middle of the very downtown area, not mountain side or anything. Since there is also a nice tub in the room so I just got to use both. The bed setup ... dont wanna talk about it.. It's PERFECT and exactly what I was looking for, JP style, simple and sleep on the floor with futon. I will go back there again. Really loved the ambience and atmostphere.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2018

I've been staying at this Ryokan in a western style single room every time I've been returning to Tokyo :)
The first time I stayed there was in 2007 so this was kind of my 10 year anniversary for staying at this place.
The owner was not particularly friendly but neither was he. He allowed me to take photos after the closing hours of the bath :)
He seemed to warm up when I started speaking a bit Japanese and showed him what I bought that day (Japanese chisels (not the every day ones you probably picture now)).
I think this is getting more common in Japan that Japanese dismiss foreigners due to many foreigners rude behaviour they are tired of giving everyone a welcome and being left hurt in the end...
I had a tool store refuse to sell me tools... (the reason I could still buy them was that I speak some Japanese and could show photos of my work).
So i can see why some people complain about the way they were being treated but to me it still felt very nice and the breakfast is the best one I ever ate at any hotel :3
Sure it is not cheap and not a huge amount but it is fresh, made with care, and presented nicely :)

The rooms are nothing to write home about. Standard small rooms with a TV, fridge (very handy if you like to take analogue photos like I do) and an AC. The rooms I stayed in so far were very clean and I could sleep very well in them :)
They are not the most modern but I don't need them to be.

I will stay there again this year :)
I greatly enjoy strolling through the surrounding area and the staff is very kind :)

Room Tip: Any room I stayed in was okay :)
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank HibouBrieselang
Reviewed 11 December 2017

Worst experience in Japan. Having a public bath at night then suddenly the owner came in and shouted at me several times "11 o'clock! hurry up!". I was not aware of the time at all. No other guests came in and I was asleep in the bath for a while. There was no clock inside the bath and no pre-announcement of the closure. When he shouted, I jumped out of the bath and wore my robe without using a towel. I said to him nicely "please talk more calmly." He answered with even louder voice "it is written here as closing at 11pm!!!" I was not happy then asked his name. Then he said "I am the owner!. This was a very depressing night spoiling my stay at Tokyo. Do not stay there.

Room Tip: Never stay
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank vennelJ
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Nice location in Asakusa. The rooms are simple, traditional and spotlessly clean. The staff were also very helpful. Unfortunately, this pleasant experience was really diminished when our breakfast bill was presented - nearly $A850 for 8 breakfasts (4 breakfasts x 2) or over $A100 each for one simple breakfast. To add insult, I was charged 1,050 yen (or $A11) for a small cup of instant coffee with non-dairy creamer. Yes, Japan is expensive - but compare this to the good coffee available at Starbucks al over Japan - for 400 yen - you get the idea. Grossly over-priced.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple