See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 February 2017

I had read some of the trip advisor reviews prior to visiting and don't think the reviews did this hotel justice. This is a very exceptional small unique hotel. There are only 14 rooms but the property feels huge for 14 rooms. Esp for Japan. There are 4 levels. One level with a dining are and rooms. One level of a bar and rooms. Bottom level has the onsen for men and women. The rooms are on several levels although we were on level 4 - the top level.

First off in terms of English speakers, this was a complaint in some reviews which I disagree with strongly. All the people I encountered spoke English. Nakano, who checked us in, spoke very good English and his hospitality was top notch. Best of any concierge I've encountered in the US if not better. He greeted us and then took our shoes. Then he took us to our room where we were given complimentary tea and snacks. He explained the property and brought us amenities including Mikimoto shampoo, conditioner, body wash plus a yankee candle to smell the room.

We upgraded to a suite with its own sauna in the room which although a bit of a splurge was well worth it. It was on floor 4. It had its own private onsen room with a hot tub plus shower in the room. There were 2 chaise chairs also to sit down and relax after dipping in the onsen. Finally there was a TV to watch while lying in the tub.

Also in our bathroom was a small steam room. It was an infrared sauna. Great amenities in the bathroom including combs which my boyfriend loved. The room was big with two beds for men and women. They call this a Western style bed. The room including a sitting area with a couch so it felt like a mini apt. Overall the whole room was huge. I was quite impressed with it. All drinks in the mini fridge were complimentary.

In terms of complimentary there were a ton. The bar area offered complimentary cocktails after 8 PM and I had a lovely margarita. It was quite strong so only drank half. We also got the breakfast in the morning which was served in a Japanese sitting room. The breakfast beware is very traditional Japanese so if you are expecting a Western style breakfast they do not have it. However I thought breakfast was very nice and classy. Again the service was exceptional. Our waitresses explained the meal in English and were very polite.

The public onsen downstairs was very private and nice. When I went there was no one there. The whole building is modern for Jozankei as we accidentally were dropped off at another hotel which looked dated in the 1970s. Also when we returned to Sapporo we went to Suizantei Club's sister hotel which wasn't as nice and modern I thought as Suizantei was.

Overall Suizantei felt very private and loved the whole experience. Its perfect for couples. Romantic. It also seemed one of the nicest hotels in the area. Very modern considering Jozankei is a small town. I would def recommend this hotel to others who want to stay overnight in Jozankei and have a nice private onsen experience. Its something you do once in your life to remember.

Room Tip: Recommend the 4th floor room with private onsen
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angelina C
担当者, 支配人 at Suizantei Club Jozankei, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Dear Angelina C

This time, thank you very much for coming to Jozankei from afar.
Go teinei ni kan'nai no setsumei o kudasari, dōmo arigatōgozaimasu.
I am happy that you can enjoy Jozankei Onsen.
Please come again.

suizanteiclub Kashimura

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

This newer hotel has a contemporary vibe but with traditional Japanese aesthetics. With only 14 rooms and a no-kids policy, it's peaceful while still being full service.

We stayed in a suite on the fourth floor with two western double beds. The large private onsen is indoors but the sliding windows can be fully opened to the outdoors. Attached shower, chaise and two chairs complement the two person bath.

The suite has an infrared sauna where the dry heat is transmitted through the stone bench.

We passed on the keiseki dinner and took the complimentary car service to the neighboring sister hotel where we used the public onsen before enjoying a wonderful shabu-shabu course meal for less cost.

Breakfast was served in a private room for two and featured our Japanese favorites.

There is little English translation but it's all quite manageable.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear chitravelers11
Stay at a room in the spa living room-type on the 4th floor this time, and thank you very much truly.
You ate a meal in the kaiseki dining in the half private room, but I'm very happy because I can be glad about a stay.
Please come.

suizanteiclub Kashimura

Reviewed 15 October 2016

This is my second time to stay at this inn. They did the great job again this time. They are one of the best in Hokkaido and so as Japan.

We stayed on 4th floor where we have our own hot spring bath and twin beds along with tatami room.

I asked to sleep in Futon on tatami floor. I particularly asked 2 cushion and futon. It was great to sleep. Foreigners shall try to ge the experience of sleeping in futon but make sure that you ask 2 cushions in order to be comfortable.

The food (dinner and breakfast) were great, too. We had Japanese kaisei.

The most great thing here is people. They are great, too. very professional and efficient. We stayed 5 different hot spring inn this time and they are several ranks higher than other inns.

We will go back to them again.

Room Tip: room with hot speing bath.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
担当者, フロント at Suizantei Club Jozankei, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2016

Thank you very much for your coming to our hotel in the occasion.
We are happy that you like this place.
Please soak in hot spring again.
We are looking forward to serving you.
I hope you are very happy.
Thank you very much.

Front desk Takuya Suzuki

Reviewed 16 August 2016

My partner and I were looking for a private exclusive ryokan, and we certainly for what we asked for.

Being a non-Japanese speaker, I found the English sites regarding this ryokan to be very sparse with information I wanted. Hopefully my experience will help you:

My partner and I booked a western room - 56sqm and it was pleasantly large. There was a Japanese style sitting area to eat, read and chat, which is separate to the bed areas.

The room came with 2 beds, approx Super-single size by western standards. Great for one person, but we were a little disappointed that we couldn't share a bed.

Our bathroom did include a in-room onsen which was a very pleasant bonus. From the descriptions I'd read, I wasn't sure whether the standard rooms came with this option, or whether only the luxury top range rooms had the in-room onsen. (See pictures attached)

The breakfast was fantastic, and so generous that we didn't need to eat lunch.

We had the Kaiseki dinner (highlight - seafood, especially crab) one night and the teppanyaki grill dinner (highlight - 2 incredible cuts of beef) another night. Both were absolutely fantastic. The total amount of food was so generous that we were glad we had chosen to have an early dinner so as to give our stomachs time to digest the food. The day after our grill, my partner was still so full from the previous night's dinner that he barely touched his breakfast.

My only complaint:
The hotel in general is not disabled friendly. Accessing any floor - even the lobby to level 1 requires going down or up, for at least half a flight of stairs. This was a challenge for my partner as he was recovering from a knee injury.

Given there are only 14 rooms, we felt like we had the exclusive use of the space (onsen, bar, kaiseki grill area, lobby) on many occasions.

Getting around the neighbourhood turned out to be interesting as we didn't drive and couldn't speak Japanese. So in the 3 days we were there, we explored what we could by foot. Jozankei neighbourhood has beautiful scenery. We walked to the Jozankei dam one day (about 2.5km each way) and were really glad we did. The weather was great, the road flat and the scenery beautiful.

All in all my partner and I had a wonderful time there. I would definitely recommend this hotel to any able-bodied adult looking for a relaxing, exclusive getaway!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
担当者, フロント at Suizantei Club Jozankei, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Dear Granya179

Thank you for your coming to our hotel in this occasion.
Also, thank you for your reply.
We are very happy that you like it.
Im looking forward to seeing you again.
Please take care of your self.
Thank you very much.

Front desk T.Suzuki

Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

It is said that a monk had come to Jozankei long time ago and build up the onsen area as the waters were healing people. I must say we enjoyed the onsen water! Our skin was softer and smoother and pimples got better too. ;)

For the hotel, we were well taken care of from the minute we stepped in. The staff were very attentive. Some of them spoke some English. The room was superb! We had the tatami room with Japanese style bedding (on floor) and it was very comfortable for us. They have a separate sitting area and my husband and I sit there quite a lot to read and relax while looking out at pine trees. There was a private bath with running onsen water! This one was just great! Somehow the public bath onsen water was better but it was good to be able to also soak in the private tub!

Many thoughtful extras that made it special experience ... Eg you are asked what type of toiletries or aroma candle you want etc.

Food was great although it would have brought out the intricate cuisine better if there was an English menu. Eg much of the delicate craft was lost on us as we had to guess "white fish" meant mackerel or flounder? As it is, it was great tasting!

We had a great time and left more refreshed with nicer skin! :)

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you for using to our hotel this occasion.
Do you enjoy at Jozankei?
I hope you are very happy.
Im looking forward to seeing you again.
Please take care of your self.