Gallery of Kyoto Traditional Arts & Crafts
Review Highlights
Very complete gallery

If you are interested in traditional Arts and Crafts, this is THE place. It has many floors so you... read more

Reviewed 6 August 2018
Erika G
local traditional artists

The Gallery of Kyoto Traditional Arts & Crafts is a showcase for local artists practising in... read more

Reviewed 6 April 2018
Dave_Cowley_Road
Oxford, United Kingdom

All reviews several floors for sale lacquer carvings school architecture yen japan kyoto
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Yes this is a must for the enthusiasts who can see a range of traditional crafts. The staff are friendly and helpful and there are several floors to visit.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

The museum has extensive exhibits of traditional crafts such as wood carving, pottery, lacquer making, and much more. We discovered that visitors can watch geiko and maiko perform a short dance or play an instrument for free every week. Check the schedule and come early for a good seat. You will have ample photo opportunities of these beautiful dressed women.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

Wonder what modern fine craftspeople are making in Japan? This is worth an hour visit if you are downtown. There are two floors of wonderful and unique works of art made in all the traditional Japanese crafts: lacquer, wood carving, ceramics, metal, glass that you won't see in the big museums. In addition there is a really wonderful and reasonably priced gallery of gifts; all crafts by graduates of the Kyoto Crafts School that is affiliated with the gallery.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

I dropped in here as this was very close to my hotel. I could not find any information about it anywhere, so paid the fee (I think 300 yen) and let them surprise me. The guy but sold me the ticket could not tell me much as his English was minimal.
The place is on several floors and has a lift. On the top floor were architectural models. There was no info in English whatsoever. The models looked quite funky (and I have a very uneducated interest in architecture), but without any explanation one doesn´t get much out of it.
The next floor down there were craftsmen doing their thing in complete silence. One was carving, one painting ceramics, one weaving a basket. It all looked very elaborate and they were staged like pieces of an exhibition themselves, but it didn´t look as if they were meant to be asked anything, so I let them be.
The next floor down had ceramics and wood objects which were for sale. There mifgt also have been some jewelry. This was probably aimed at serious collectors judging by the price range. Below that was the gallery of masters. Again, mainly ceramics and wood, some of them very big and/or elaborate. Without explanation I found it difficult to appreciate why these pieces were masterly.
The ground floor is the entry area, I remember mainly wooden objects there. The ticket entitles you to return visits. For most of the time I was the only person in there.
I am not sure what the main purpose of the place is, sales exhibition or museum. It doesn´t cost much, so if you have any interest in (and ideally some knowledge of) crafts it is probably worth a visit, but I would not go out of my way to see it.

2  Thank Waliserin
Reviewed 30 October 2015

The videos are very useful and the ambience is optimal to learn about Japanese craft. The wide variety of crafts shown gives me a good idea how Japanese culture focus a lot on the skills and the dedication in each area of work. The level of details is immense ! You could easily spend 3 to 4 hours here by watching and have a brief chat with the on-site craftsmen about their work. I also get a chance to try stenciled panting on a handkerchief at the gift area (every Sunday for individual visitors), it was great fun! In the same building, there are common spaces where you can relax and enjoy the outdoor man-made waterfall feature, it is a perfect place to take a break here.