Mandara Resort
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Agoda.com
All reviewsf b managerwhale watchingresident managerpool attendantprivate pooldvd playerfront office staffsri lankasea bathquiet hotelmain buildingour honeymoondeluxe roomsking sizeoutdoor showerbuffet stylememorable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here two nights to be able to go whale watching. We were in room 95, a deluxe one with a plunge pool, and it was great. Very clean and comfortable although a random outside shower. We cannot comment on the other rooms but this room was great. The service at the hotel lets it down, apart from the Guest Relations lady who was great. The food was ok but not great but you could have a meal and breakfast was fine. The service of the staff in the restaurant and bar area (!) is very poor. Plates are not cleared away, food orders take ages to arrive and the staff generally look miserable. Its a shame as the hotel has great potential. If the service improves then it could be much better. For us it was fine a our 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Deluxe room with plunge pool (95)
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathmccowen
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights...never again. Location nice and lots of potential but they have nearly no staff and those that are there seem to be highly inconvenienced if you ask them for anything. Order 2 bottles of Coke, took half an hour and they forgot 1.....

Stay away, there are much better resorts in Mirissa.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent two night here a few days ago, it was book through a very well know and reputable cycling tour company that had done business with this hotel on many occasions

When we went to check out the hotel manager would not let us leave. It seems that the payment to they hotel did not go through as expected. So the owner of the hotel decided to hold us hostage until they received payment. They said they only way the would let us leave is if we paid the bill as a group, which was a little over $2000.00 US. There where 10 of us so that meant we each would have to pay $200.00 each if we want continue on with our vacation plans. We all agreed to it and figured with would get reimburse by the tour company. At this point we had been held pretty captive for 3 hours. As we where paying the bill the company finely managed to get payment to the hotel.

The issue I have with the owners is the while all this was going on the just sat in the restaurant stuffing their faces with food and never once talked to us about it. The let the front desk folks and our tour guide work it out.

I am in the hospitality industry and I would never think of making my guest suffer an inconveance over my business deal. As far as I can tell the is now sense of “hospitality” emanating for this man and women. Furthermore if I had to take such drastic mesures I would deffently have a chat with the folks I was holding hostage.

It’s really sad because the pepole that work for these “people” are so sweet and the management of the hotel is so bad. It’s very clear they know nothing of hotel operation. The staff tries really hard but there is no support or training from the owners. They just set in the restaurant an stuff their faces. Quite seriously ever time I was in the restaurant I saw them in there stuffing the faces.

There are many new and bettter hotels in Mirissia to stay at. I hope their employees learn that there are better place for them to work and leave the Mandara for a better situation.

And I advice you all to stay away.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hartiii
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed 1night in this hotel and although it wasn’t terrible we wouldn’t stay in that hotel again. The hotel rooms are in different annexes On arrival we were allocated a room in one of the annexes on the second floor with no lift, I asked if I could have a ground floor room as I have mobility issues but they said that they only had a ground floor room in another annexe which was a distance away so we stayed with the allocated room. The room was clean with a partial river view but we had to clean the balcony chairs before we could sit on them. We decided to spend the afternoon by the pool but could not find the pool attendant for towels, after asking at reception we were told he was on his lunch and to look out for someone in all white. We eventually saw the animation guy who very kindly found us mattresses and towels, the sunbeds and mattresses could do with replacing they were not in a good state of repair. We noticed several guests during the afternoon either getting their own towels or wandering around looking for the pool guy for towels and mattress’s. We decided to have some lunch, the table we sat at outside had not been cleaned or, the plates etc. had been removed but not re set. My friend then had to go looking for the menus/waiter despite sitting at the table for about 10 minutes. The food when we received it was very good. The restaurant at night felt a bit like a cafeteria, there were food piled high on some tables and it was very noisy, not a relaxed atmosphere. Had a packed breakfast as we had an early start so cannot comment on what the restaurant was like in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank camcculloch
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Where does one begin? Yesterday was the last day of an otherwise magnificent trip through this beautiful country. We spent our last two nights at Mandara through a Thai tour group. Unfortunately, the payment by the local tour company (hired by the Thai company to lead the tour) did not reach Mandara in time for our departure from the hotel. So, what did the hotel do? It said we (the customers) could not leave until payment was made.

Now we, the customers, had already paid the Thai tour company. And, the hotel’s contractual agreement was with the local tour company. And, further, the local tour company had apparently used Mandara before.

To make a long story short, our departure was delayed more than two hours as we sat cooling our heels while the hotel and the local tour company tried to work things out. This, of course, should not have affected the customers or our departure. Especially those who had flights to catch or had another destination to reach that day.

This would never have happened in the US. It was up to the local tour company and the hotel to work it out- without inconveniencing or delaying the Customers. Nor were we offered an apology or a drink while we were waiting, etc. Bad customer service all the way around.

In the end, we contacted the Thai company (Spice Roads) who stepped up to the plate when they heard what was going on; said the customers should not have to pay; apparently then paid the bill; and we were “released” to depart. (One solution offered - prior to us contacting Spice Roads - was for us to each pay, the hotel would track us each down when the hotel received payment from the local tour company, and reimburse us.)

So, boo to Mandara and kudos to Spice Roads. (I’ll be posting about our two week bike trip with Spice Roads through Sri Lanka shortly. If you like to bike, take it. And, come visit Sri Lanka. You’ll be amazed by the people and its country.)

Itsthuthi :)