“Amazing, a must!”
Review of Gheralta Rock

Gheralta Rock
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Mek'ele
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed two nights in Hawzen and from there did a collection of rock hew churches. Abuna Yemata is the hardest climb but absolutely worth it. I am not great with heights but I did it. At some point you have to leave your shoes since climbing the last part of the mountain is already considered entering the church grounds. I was afraid of climbing without my great quality hiking boots, but believe me, bare foot you have a so much better grip. The last climb is a horizontal rock, you can use rope and or harness to climb. Up on top it is just amazing. There are always enough people around to help you and secure you, sometimes too many and you have to ask them to please let go of your feet and hands.
Apart from Abuna Yemata we also did Maryam Korkor and Daniel Korkor. The hike is interesting, especially if you are into geology, but less spectacular than Abuna Yemata. The churches and the priests and nuns on the top make up for it though!

Date of experience: October 2018
"paintings"
"grip"
"cave"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and I went up there with Rock Ethiopia tours, (email: aregawigebrehiwet6@gmail.com), and it was amazing! The churches are incredible, the view was fantastic! Truly an incredible experience!

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

This place is incredible and others churches also are worth of visiting. I vistited this area with Rock Ethiopia tours with Tomas, he showed me many beautiful places in this area. If you want visit this area with responsible giude you should contact with Tomas. His email adress: aregawigebrehiwet6@gmail.com andwhatsapp number +251914795520.He also organise Danakil tours.
Enyoj the Tigray!

Reviewed 10 October 2018

great and challenging walk .very nice view, interesting paintings
very colourful.,the price of the rope and the scout (and how many )has to be settled before with the guide