US$ 88
Agoda.com
The Johnstown Estate Hotel & Spa(Enfield)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
  • Free Breakfast
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$ 180
US$ 175
Annebrook House Hotel(Mullingar)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$ 140
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$ 158
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 May 2015

Before I start this review, From looking at all the recent negative 1 star reviews from the wedding in February my heart goes to the couple involved as it sounds like it was not a pleasant experience but it should be noted to all those thinking of Ballykealey that out of the 15 one star reviews on trip advisor, 8 of these reviews are all about this single event,

I had the pleasure of getting married in Ballykealey a few weeks back. From the moment we arrived on the Friday evening to when we left on Monday it was the best experience of our lives. The service from all the staff was amazing & everything they did was to ensure we were being looked after. The food was (as we expected) out of this world (all our guests were raving about it).

The house itself was lovely and warm (I wondered if this was after the comments on trip advisor which mention some people finding the house cold at times!) The venue was beautiful (as anyone who has been there will agree). We were the only wedding there over the weekend something that sealed the deal when it came to booking Ballykealey.

The rooms in the hotel are very spacious and in my opinion very good value (about €120 per night) while the lodges on site are a 30 second walk from the house and offer perfect accommodation for a wedding.

i can't recommend Ballykealey highly enough and it made our special day something we and our guests will never forget.

PS: A little example of the service - Late on Sunday night the Barman handed out plates of sandwiches to those remaining in the Bar. It was such a nice touch and something I expect you would not get in other venues

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
14  Thank thomand2013
Reviewed 5 May 2015 via mobile

We had our wedding at ballykealey last weekend; I'm writing this review very quickly as I hope it will reassure other couples who are getting married at the venue in the coming weeks. I was very nervous in the run-up after reading a lot of recent negative reviews about one wedding a few months ago. My heart does break for the couple involved and I do hope a resolution can be reached.

Our wedding last weekend was literally all we had hoped for and more. Although the weather was horrendous, staff at ballykealey did everything possible, and succeeded, in making our wedding more than we ever wished for. We arrived on the Friday evening and stayed until Monday. From the rehearsal dinner, through to delicious homemade biscuits just before we left on Monday, the service and attention was friendly and attentive. On the morning of the wedding, a staff member called Mary looked after my bridesmaids and I with two rounds of breakfast and endless tea being brought to the suite!! When we arrived back to the house after the church I was thrilled to see the beautiful bellinis and homemade lemonade laid out just as I asked. I had also requested very specific flowers and these were displayed in abundance throughout the ballroom. Every course of dinner was yummy and the craic continued late into the night in the residents bar. The BBQ on Sunday was delicious again, and staff looked after us all so well on that day too.

This is the perfect venue if you want a fun filled family wedding, in a lovely intimate (even with over 200 guests) environment. It is a family run business, and in the stressful run-up to the wedding I sometimes found some of the personalities on the management team a little 'un-glossy.' However, both management and staff on the ground really proved, over the whole weekend, that they know how to make wedding dreams come through. Thank you thank you thank you to all at Ballykealey, from a very happy bride.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Loveacuppatea
Reviewed 21 April 2015

Attended a friends wedding in February 2015. It was a total disaster, staff were very disorganised & the hotel was very cold. To make matters worst the electricity went in the middle of the meal.

We were left sitting in front of cold soup bowls for nearly 2 hours! Staff were running around with no direction. Management just stood back with no communication to guests what was happening. Toilets were filthy, & very mean with vino! Would not recconend this hotel for your special day. Service very poor & hotel seems to be run on wedding deposits! I would advise to any bride & groom to think twice before choosing this hotel.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
13  Thank Belinda G
Reviewed 12 April 2015

I am sorry to see poor reviews for the hotel for a wedding before ours. We had our wedding here on the 21st March and I cannot fault the hotel on anything. The owner and staff were brilliant who really went the extra mile to make us and our guests feel welcome and make our day special. The food at the wedding was excellent and plentiful with many of our guests commenting that it was the best food they had ever had at a wedding. I am from the local area but living aboard for a long time and it was no problem organising the wedding with all my queries and requests answered in good time. It was brilliant having the whole hotel to ourselves on the day and great to see it being busy for lunch on the Sunday. I only wish I could do it all again but we will be back for Sunday lunch when we are next home.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
7  Thank SandyCC1
Reviewed 12 April 2015

When we decided we have our wedding in Ballykealey Manor, we thought all our dreams came through. The place was the old country manor that we were looking for but how wrong could one be ...
To start with, over the year we were planning our wedding we had the joy of dealing with not just 1 wedding co-ordinator but 5 different people in the hotel, which for any couple you know how frustrating this is. On arrival to the hotel our day just went from bad to worse. The hotel had failed to tell us the heating was not working in the function room. It was only when we went down to the room itself when we discovered how freezing it was. We asked why was the heating not on, the staff looked blankly at us and reluctantly told us that the heating was not working and there was someone on the roof working on this. We then asked what was their back up plan for circumstances such as this but they didnt have one.
As a couple to sit at the top table to see all our family and friends eating their starters in the cold with jackets still on was just embarrassing. Along with this, we had given a list of dietary requirements to the hotel about our guests on the top table but we were not given the vegetarian option requested. We had to ask again for it to be changed, so they could not even get that right.
Just after the second course when we thought it could not get any worse, it did, with the electricity failing!!! Our guests had to resort to using flash lights on their phones to navigate safely back to their tables!!!
At this point the lack of communication from the management team to the bride and groom was disgraceful. Not one person approached us to keep us informed of what had happened or what was being done to resolve it. We had to track down someone from the management team to see what was happening while our guests were left sitting in a cold dark function room with dirty soup bowls still in front of them. The hotel had no solution for us at this point while all we wanted to do was to keep our guests happy, so we had to request a free drink for everyone. This request was not accepted with grace and to compound this we had to repeatedly request for the wine to be free flowing during this time.
While trying to get some information from the hotel, I was confronted by a member of management who brought her own personal problems to my attention which I found completely inappropriate. While the wedding co-ordinator was more concerned with missing her Irish dancing lesson, the staff just could not cope with the situation in any professional manner. It was like a bunch of headless chickens running the place!!!
Finally an hour and a half later, our main course arrived, which was disappointing! At this stage in the evening not one person from the management team approached us to apologise for any inconvenience caused which we have have to admit we found so hurtful. We had guests coming up to us asking us what was going on. Some of our guests even had to leave before they received a main course at all, which we were so embarrassed about and felt responsible for.
The aftermath of the daily events carried through later into the evening as when we came to do the speeches the microphones failed to work. Our band did not get to start until 10:45pm, so our videographer had to be paid extra to stay until that time.
Then to top things off, when we went to bed that night our own honeymoon suite room was freezing!!!!
The next morning we went to talk to management, the attitude of the lady of the manor and wedding co-ordinator was very unprofessional. We had to talk to them at the reception in front of our guests. Their attitude was “didn't everyone get a meal?” and wanted to take us down to the bottle bank to count the amount of wine that was drank.
On reflection, words fail me... What was meant to be one of the best days of our lives was ruined by Balkeykealey Manor Hotel

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple