Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Review Highlights
If you want to get fit and have fun, this is for you

Was only supposed to train for 1 month, but ended up staying for 2. This training camp on fitness... read more

Reviewed 26 March 2020
alexbF7422HC
London, United Kingdom
via mobile
Best overall fitness gym in Phuket

Unit 27 is where you go to get the best results. I’ve used other gyms on Fitness Road, and they are... read more

Reviewed 26 March 2020
manbearhorse
Phuket, Thailand

Recommended experiences in and around Phuket
from US$ 21.96
from US$ 98.84
from US$ 38.01
from US$ 130.14
More Info
All reviews fitness levels warm ups weight loss classes gyms training goals nutrition phuket kg participants inspiring baht
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 June 2016

Went earlier this year to lose weight. Paid a lot of money to try and achieve this...I was out of shape, after seeing videos I was worried about the intensity but I was assured the classes could accommodate people of different fitness levels, so you don't ever fall behind. Well lets just say by the time I finished my first burpee, the rest of the class were doing their 4th or 5th. I just couldn't keep up and that was a real ego crusher. The only class I felt was beneficial was the revolution class. Seeing as the cross fit class and the morning glory class left me in agony from heavy lifting (like being unable to move). The intensity was too much. The classes in Unit are purely beneficial for people of Athletic build. NOT for overweight people.

I signed up for the diet program to lose weight and went with the meal plan. My priority was weight loss not muscle gain. Food was okay, but repeating what you eat every other day was a drag. I would not advise it unless you are strong willed. Also I felt that the plan contained way too much food for weight loss, this was catered for a person in the gym every day, which i was physically unable to do. I lost hardly anything on this plan. And my personal consultant (who by the way went away for a week during and left me high and dry) switched it up a couple of times, which didn't help things either.

Also they refused to refund me my meal plan money on the national holiday when the restaurant was closed. Despite the fact I paid a 5000 baht deposit. This is 700 baht a day we're talking here. And also didn't consider giving me any compensation for not having the trainer who I started off with helping me out during the week they were away. In that week I had two substitute consultants telling me different things to my original trainer and left me quite confused.

After 1 and a half weeks of classes there with no results, I decided to focus on cardio, not weights and do my own thing, ignored the advice from my consultant and signed up for Muay Thai down the road with a friendly relaxed atmosphere and I felt welcome there. In Unit it felt so corporate, with classes of up to 35 people. I just felt left out and insignificant, like just another overweight person coming through.

It's a shame really because the people there did seem nice but I spent a hell of a lot of money and came back with no results. I'd recommend it if your training for a Triathalon but not to lose weight.

Date of experience: April 2016
2  Thank A.James R
MacMcC9, CEO at Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2016

A.James R,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

It is a shame that you found the intensity of our challenging classes here at Unit 27 a little too much, let me please assure you that these classes are designed for all levels of fitness as well as people in various stages of their personal journey, the classes only ask that you push yourself to your own personal limit.
Our meal plan/weight loss program is a service we provide, which is bespoke and tailored to a persons body composition and very much goal dependant, it requires that the program is adhered to for a longer period of time than 10 days, despite the difficulties a person may encounter along the way when first making these life altering changes to their routine. These hard changes need persistence and dedication, here at Unit-27 we hold all requests on file for those who are on meal plans, i cannot look in to your record to answer more fully as we have no record on file of such complaints or concerns being raised under your recently created Trip Advisor name, please contact us directly so that we may address any issues with you in this regard.
I am disappointed to hear that your expectations of us were not met but glad to hear that your holiday wasnt a complete wash out and that our partner Muay Thai company down the road was able to assist you in the way you were expecting.

Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

Spent the whole of May training at unit-27. I can honestly say I've never experienced anything else like it. The ability of the trainers to get the most out of you was amazing. In conjunction with going on a meal plan at the muscle bar it's got me in the best shape of my life.

My only regret was leaving before the opening of the new crossfit facility. But it just means I'll have to be back for another trip

Until next time

Date of experience: May 2016
MacMcC9, CEO at Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2016

Josh,

We can only apologise that we never managed to have the Crossfit facility opened in time, so many of you seemed to narrowly miss out on this but as my old mum used to say....some things are worth waiting for :).

I am glad you were pleased with what we offered, the muscle bar meal plans are constantly under review and i believe you'll see improvements again on your next trip.

Thanks for the great review and remember to go hard or go home.

Reviewed 28 May 2016

Attended the unit in May 2016 for 8 days.

8 days was too short a time. I wish I could be there longer because the place (and the street environment in general) is addictive.

The quality of instructors, programming and classes are unparalleled. I am a beginner and was training with hockey players, seasoned crossfitters, boxers and ex military personnel, but I never felt out of place as the communal atmosphere is incredible. At the same time, there were people of 60+ also sweating it out amidst everyone.

Every person involved with the unit - the trainers, reception girls, muscle bar staff and the cleaners were all extremely helpful and always smiling.

If your looking for some tough love - an experience that will challenge your physical barriers and help you attain new mental limits - look no further than the unit.

Can't wait to be back there, especially at the spanking new crossfit facility.

mbs_cheers,

Thanks for the glowing review, we do like hearing when we get it right, as well as learning from when we dont but it sounds like we ticked the boxes for you..albeit too short.

We look forward to seeing you next time round, maybe for a little longer, the new Crossfit facility is pretty special, we surprised ourselves with this one.

Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

Thanks to the staff at Unit 27 for letting us walk in and join a CrossFit class. Was something that everyone could do and was a challenge at the same time. Great vibe and great people there. Thanks Joy for getting our weekend started right :)

1  Thank samanthah257
MacMcC9, CEO at Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2016

Samantha,

We are glad to hear you had a positive experience and that we also challenged you.

It is a goal of ours to deliver our promise to push and challenge our clients, its also a team ethos that we make your experiences pleasant ones.

Thank you for the review and i hope we see you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 March 2016 via mobile

If you want a fitness holiday and want to meet great people and enjoy working out this is the place to go on the island. Not only are the classes great but the trainers are first class and make you work work work.. loved my time here would reccommend whole heartedly... it is not for the faint hearted!

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank GeraldineN_13
MacMcC9, CEO at Unit 27 Total Conditioning & CrossFit Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2016

Geraldine,

Thank you for your kind words, its always nice to read and hear that we are delivering what we promise.

I hope we get to see you again soon, so we can have the chance of delivering some new and exciting promises :).

Please drop us a line before returning as we would love to hear from you.