“Excellent!”

La Catalina Hotel & Suites
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I am from India and its rather rare to find an Indian in Costa Rica. The country is fascinating with natural sceneries all around. I stayed at La Catalina for a month and a half. I should admit the stay was indeed pleasant and satisfying especially because of the staff. They were very friendly and were more like a family. Since I was the lone guest for most of the time, they gave me complete freedom. I stayed in a room from where I can get the complete view of San Jose valley. Initial days I was a bit annoyed mainly because of internet - wifi connectivity became horrible due to heavy rain. The hotel staff tried everything, they even connected a new device to strengthen the signal strength was in vain. Finally they gave me a new room nearby a pool. It was a bigger one than the one I stayed earlier. Happy there was no change in room rates which is understandable because I didn't ask for it :P
Location wise this place is a bit remote and hilly (well most of Costa Rica is!). Its very difficult to reach here without knowing the place and without a car (get yourself a proper taxi driver who can speak English).
Staffs were really good and few of them speak English through which most of my communication with other staffs happened. Few of them taught me Spanish! It was pretty interesting. I spent most of my evenings with them talking about cultures and their where-abouts. They also invited me to the weekend parties that happens down the corner in a conference room. They create a pub-like environment and play some Latino songs. These parties get real wild sometimes! (you know what I mean)
Overall, I should say this was one of the best places I have ever stayed. I would recommend it to my friends. If I am going back to Costa Rica, I am staying here!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 February 2013

after travilling for a day to get to costa rica i like to stay at la catalina because it,s close to the airport. this time they put me in one of thier new rooms.the jacuzzie and king size bed were a nice treat.from the front porch the san jose valley was laid out like a carpet of lights below me,it was beautiful.the next morning i took a walk around part of this 6 acer estate and was surprised to see how many new flower gardens they added since my last visit,this place could be full but because of its size you would.nt know it.the staff and the food grate as always.

Room Tip: get a jacuzzi suit
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2013

i stayed at la catalina in late 2012. the hotel was beautiful and very well kept.because the main house was empty that week they let us stay in it for the same price as the smaller house. the view from where we stayed was amazing,every morning clouds would literally roll across the front yard it was really cool being that i am from florida and we are below sea level. the staff and my family became really good friends during our stay.they were very helpful and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was worth while.we went to costa to get away from the american lifestyle and i enjoyed seeing what central america had to offer. there are so many things to do in the area and la catalina is a perfect midway point for all of the activities you choose to do, i would like to thank the staff and the owner for providing such a great stay and i will be back for sure!!!!

Room Tip: The house on the hill top is the biggest,and has a carport and the view is sick!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I was there in rainy season in September but it was one of my best vacations ever. Not to many tourists but with the people vacationing there we felt like we are a part of a big family including the hotel staff. Don't expect 5 star hotel atmosphere they didn't advertise something like that and I personally wasn't looking for that. My room was upgraded for free for a Jacuzzi room , all the meals are made from scratch after order, they have two local cooks ( wonderful ladies) from morning till 10 pm. Wendy the housekeeper made my room each day she even dried and folded my clothes after a volcano trip. You can swim go to outside Jacuzzi undisturbed walk in the garden or have a rum and a cigar on the covered colonial veranda. Both Carmen and Henry are really helpful . We talked many nights with Henry about Costa Rica and everything . I had a chance to go out with him for a beer at the local bars he also arranged a very nice but not the typical touristic Poas volcano and San Jose tours. if you looking for a stainless steel , chrome an marble establishment probably it's not for you it's a colonial style older building with carved furniture inside , two swimming pools outside Jacuzzi and a nice garden and some really friendly people.
I did a mistake and didn't ask the hotel to pick me up from the airport its probably 20 min. I took a cab from the airport who didn't know where he was going ( i didn't know the hotel it's in Birri ) so we spend some time and me money to get to the hotel but once being there no problems ( my return flight was at 7.00 Am ). I am going back in January with my friends.

A. S. Vancouver B.C.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 December 2012

After arriving from a long flight from Europe, my wife and I were happy to find that after being picked up at the airport the hotel was no more than a 20 minute drive away. What a wonderful place, definitely boutique. It felt more like a country mansion than a hotel. The huge well kept gardens were a pleasure to walk around and there was an outdoor pool and Jacuzzi, where we spent some time lazing around with a cocktail (no stress here!). The staff were very friendly and the food was excellent and in a very romantic setting. The test of a good hotel is how well you sleep, and we slept great! This place felt different from other hotels that we had stayed in over the years because it had been built with quality materials and full of character. We are more than happy to recommend this hotel and on our future visits to Costa Rica we will be returning here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room as the views are spectacular
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FreeSpirit4ever16

Been to La Catalina Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK