See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 January 2011

No frills, great deal. Lovely staff, clean amenities - despite having to share toilet, awesome environment to be in. Taiwan in itself is a truly lovely place, hospitable and genuinely lovely people all around, Taipei, though a city is no different. What's best about this place is that it is located in the heart of Taipei, Xi Men Ding. Great value too!

Will definitely be back here to stay regardless of heightened budget or not. Certainly attributed to a pleasant and most fondest travel memories.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank alytashi
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We initially chose this place due to the location factor, as it's near the Ximen MRT station and didn't really have much expectations on the cleanliness level.

Boy oh boy, were we surprised! The beds (albeit not so comfy), were clean, bathrooms were clean, and they have a toiletries cabinet that we could use freely!

The staff were super friendly and they really know where to recommend us to go. They also equipped us with a map, which made finding-the-hostel-adventure easier after a long day of strolling in Taipei.

The common room was comfortable too, with beanbags and TV.

I just hoped that the nightlight could be a little bit brighter for bookworms like me.

All in all, a definite recommendation for this affordable cozy stay!

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank DGlobTrot
Reviewed 5 December 2010

The location of the hostel is very strategic close to F&B outlet, Ximending, several shopping malls and cineplex.

For a hostel, the room size is quite big (stayed at en-suite room). All the services are at acceptable level.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank vjie83
Reviewed 19 September 2010

After the previous decent reviews, I decided to book a stay at this hostel in their private ensuite room for 5 nights while I looked for longer term accommodations. I'm currently here in Taiwan for 3 months attending the mandarin program at NTU. I figured 5 nights would bring me to just the beginning of September and if things worked out I could move into another place before the whole 5 days was up.

Getting to the hostel from the Taoyuan Airport was easy. The hostel's website does a great job giving you directions on how to get there. Once there, the hostel was on the 2nd floor, up a relatively steep flight of stairs and no elevator. So beware if you have lots of luggage; it'll be a bit of a struggle. I left one of my luggage at the bottom of the stairs while I went to check in at the front desk. The ensuite rooms (as the other reviewer mentioned) is in another building. One of the employees showed me to the ensuite room. It's only about a 5 minute walk, but being Canadian, I was not used to the heat while carrying a 65L backpack and dragging a medium suitcase.

Thankfully there was an elevator at the other building and my room was on the 5th floor. The room itself was pretty sparse. I ended up booking a double bed room as the single rooms were full. Bathroom was a good size with no tub (as is common in Taiwan). There was a mini fridge available and I opened it to find a cockroach scurrying around inside (welcome to Taiwan!!) - so I didn't end up using it during my stay. It didn't feel too cold anyway. The other furnishing in the room included a table with 2 chairs and a closet with some drawers. The bed was not the most comfortable - heck sleeping on a park bench would have been the same. But I didn't expect much from a hostel. The room does have air conditioning.

While out exploring my surroundings, I got a bit lost and thankfully bumped into one of the employees at a street corner. She took me back to the main building and gave me a few maps so that was nice.

The good - This hostel is in a great location, near the Ximending area. LOTS of food, lots of shopping and lots of things to see and do! It's only about a 5 min walk from the Ximen MRT station so it's very accessible. The ensuite building is off a lane as the previous reviewer mentioned, but I actually felt quite safe. I got back around 3am one time and did not feel scared at all (I'm female). There are quite a few businesses also on the same laneway. The private ensuite room ended up only costing ~$50 CAD a night, which is unbeatable for a solo traveller on a budget.

The bad - Cockroaches, and very unstable wifi connection. Wifi and being able to connect to the internet was very important to me as I needed to look online to find a place to live for the next 3 months. The internet worked fine the first day but on the 2nd day it didn't work at all. I knocked on the door of another room to see they might have the same problem and they said the internet connection cuts out from time to time. I called the main building to see if someone will fix it but no one ever did. The next day it happened again, and by then I was losing my patience. I ended up having to trek over to the other building with my laptop to use the internet there. Totally NOT acceptable and I let them know of my frustration. From then on, it happened another 3, 4 times during my stay (too often if you ask me) but the rest of the time they were good about going over to fix the connection promptly.

As for the cockroaches, I understand they're a part of life here. During my stay I saw a few scurrying around- no big deal. However, it got very annoying when I was packing my stuff up on my last time, and found one crawl out from my clothes. That was not fun. I had to repack everything and make sure I didn't have any cockroach stowaways. So it's best to keep all your luggage and stuff zipped up during your stay there!

All in all, not a bad place to stay for the price. However, if your budget was a bit higher, I'd definitely recommend another hostel/hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I stayed at Taipei Ximen Backpackers for most of my trip in Taiwan. The place is very conveniently located in the Ximen district, near the MRT station. Directions there are clearly indicated on the website so it's not hard to find. The staffs are helpful and friendly.

I've stayed in both the double bunk bed rooms and the ensuite rooms. The bunk bed rooms are relatively small but it is clean and relatively comfortable, though the walls are kind of thin so you can hear people walking about outside the room.

If you are willing to pay abit more, which I did, the ensuite rooms situated at the opposite street ensures more privacy and I think it was well-worth the price as the room comes with a mini-fridge, tv, wardrobe, toilet/bathroom with heater and internet access.

They also provide a storage area where you can put your luggage if you planning for a short trip out of Taipei. Lockers are also available for rent.

Safety-wise, the main hostel is located along the kunming street, so I'd say it is ok. But the ensuite rooms are located in a small alley, and it can be quite dark at night, so for ladies travelling alone, I'd advise you not to go back too late.

Overall, this is a great place to stay at while you're in Taipei. I'd definitely choose to stay here again if I ever make another trip there.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends