“Totally made my trip”
Review of El Castillo

El Castillo
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 15
Reviewed 7 October 2018

I was here for 3 days on a business trip and ate here every day. It was that good. The chef - hey Harlan - makes his own bread for the hamburger buns and smokes their own bacon as well. Everything I ate here was incredible and it has a really good community atmosphere too. Honestly - if staying within ten miles of here- it's well worth the journey. Great wait staff as well and rices are very fair. Go visit!

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

I counted about 10-12 Americans there for early Happy Hour. The owner greeted us, the drinks were good, and we enjoyed the food. Simple gut very good Blackened fish and vegetable. More than I could eat. It is worth the stop. Check time on opening it was mid afternoon for us.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

I had a take away Chickpea Curry that came with rice and a perfectly cooked soft yolked egg. It was the perfect balance between flavour, spiciness (i don't like too hot) and a slight sweetness. A really great tasting dish definitely worth repeating!

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

the chef/ owner came out and talked to us. he recommended the steak and eggs which was one of the best things I have ever ate.

Reviewed 19 August 2018

Eating in Costa Rica is an eye opener, and you need to plan on spending a fair amount of money for food if you're eating out often. If you try and cheap out, you will not be able to experience some of the truly wonderful meals available.
Castillo was recommended by a number of locals in Potrero, mostly expat Americans and Canadians. I immediately hit it off with the owner and chef, Harlan, a rough around the edges but warm and friendly guy, who had already built up a reputation as a quality chef and manager at another local restaurant (Perlas).
Harlan makes his own bread, smokes bacon, and prepares an awesome curry dish laced with honey. Desserts were excellent and served daily, all made from scratch. There are no prepackaged foods here. His burgers are blissful, rich in flavor, and well worth the time and cost. We ended up eating here almost every day once it was discovered.
Harlan kept bringing us samples of his cooking, which of course usually lead us to our next meal. I can honestly say I enjoyed every meal, and swapping insults with Harlan brightened my day. His staff kept an eye on us closely but didn't harass us either, so we were able to enjoy our meals on Costa Rican time. Highly recommend this place. Thanks Harlan.