All reviewshot waterno air conditioningnaturejunglepanamaporchtreebutterfliessupermarket
Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

You are definitely in the jungle in this place.. if your squeamish with bugs/spiders this probably isn't your place. The beautiful beach & restaurants are close.. the staff were great. Very relaxing place

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2016

I was here for one night because of a sport event. I was looking for a budget stay as I was traveling by myself. I wish I had spent more in a better hotel, I was not happy with my stay.

It is very basic hotel, a little old and not well maintained. No air conditioning but a fan instead, I did not like the bathroom in general, the description says "rainfall" shower but it was not true, in fact the shower head was quite bad. The kind of bathroom you want to get out soon.

There are mosquito nets for the beds which are certainly needed, this area of the country has lots of mosquitos.

Staff was always nice, breakfast was OK with fresh fruit.

Free WiFi on the lobby, which can reach the closer rooms.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2015

I've not much experience of this kind of place. It was a beautiful wooden house in the rain forest about a minute walk to the beach. However it wasn't that clean inside, dusty rustic, an odd cockroach or two. But you get the real experience of sleeping in the jungle. The jungle sounds are amazing, howler monkeys etc- you won't get that in an air conditioned hotel! Shower was little more than a cold drip too. Breakfast of fruit, toast and eggs was nice.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2015

Went down with my girlfriend for a week, stayed 3 days at PCL on the coast. If you have a problem with lots of nature, look elsewhere. If, like myself, you recognize that a jungle has insects, birds, and monkeys and don't mind the background music, you'll love it. Simple furnishings, but very relaxing. An afternoon spent sleeping in the hammock is as good as a bed to me. Met the owner and got to know quite a few of the people there and at his cocao/banana farm just N of Puerto Viejo. Great place, and I'll be staying there again when I take my daughter in a few years. Wifi was the only shortcoming; not a strong router so depending on your room might not be able to connect, if you're at all interested in communicating with the outside world. I only wanted to stream some music so I just settled for the music already on my phone.

Room Tip: Lower room #'s are closer to the office and will have better Wifi
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sojourner0802
Reviewed 27 May 2015 via mobile

The hotel/night life/beach/attention was great, but we stayed 7 days and since the breakfast was included we took it everyday at the hotel's resraurant, however everyday was the same, eggs... Very dissapointing as one of the highlights of Puerto Viejo is the local food...
The beds were really old, took me almost 4 days to find a comfy spot to sleep... big miss...
Aside these 2 improvement opportunities, everything was great, from attention, to location, proximity to the beach and security!
Chiquita Beach ia awesome!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple