All reviewsgrocery storelaid backbeach walkmyrtle beachrelaxing vacationbeach towelsmini golfsea cownegative reviewsspring breaksecond bedroomlounge chairsbotany bayseafoodfull kitchengas stationoff the beaten path
Reviewed 11 October 2009

My husband and I spent some much needed time relaxing and getting away from the busyness of "real" life. Wyndham Ocean Ridge met our expectations for a get-a-way. Live Oaks filled with Spanish Moss lined the winding streets. The resort is beautifully landscaped with many lagoons and ponds. We viewed fish jumping, egrets and herons stalking, turtles swimming, and (only one time) a small alligator.

We enjoyed the spaciousness of our first floor condo and especially the screened-in porch. Our kitchen was adequate in size and equipped with almost anything you might need to use. We were thankful for the reverse osmosis unit attached to our sink. It made drinking the water possible. The washer and dryer were large and cleaned/dried wonderfully. Our master bedroom was large and the king-sized bed was extremely comfortable. The master bath was adequate with a shower/bath and single sink. The guest bedroom had two full-sized beds, and its bath was also adequate with a shower/bath and single sink. The living/dining area was spacious and quite comfortable. There were televisions in both bedrooms as well as the living area. Our unit was a 5 - minute walk to the beach on the sound.

We were never physically on the beach, but the sound was pristine and gave us the feeling of being on "Gilligan's Island." As nature lovers, we were soon able to forget our worries and cares on our own little bit of paradise. Each morning, we were on the beach before sunrise to collect shells and to take pictures of the sunrise. We also tried to be on the sound (near Bay Point) before sunset to watch the dolphins playing. We were not disappointed. We saw dolphins each time we went, and the sunsets were BEAUTIFUL!

During our stay at Wyndham, we enjoyed water aerobics, playing minature golf, playing pool, and riding the bicycles. The staff was very pleasant.

We spent one day sight-seeing in Charleston which was 1 1/2 hours away. Wyndham offers a tour of Charleston and surrounding plantations, but we decided to head out on our own. The Welcome Center in Charleston was able to make any arrangements that we needed for tickets for tours and cruises. We ate lunch at the world famous Hymans which was WONDERFUL!

We spent one day at Botany Bay Plantation. The driving tour gave a little bit of the history of the plantation, but the beach experience was the best part for us. The beach was as though walking back in time a hundred years ago. It is covered by shells, however, collecting them is only allowed by children under the age of twelve. The walk to the beach was on a causeway through the tidal marsh. We went after high tide and saw many birds, crabs, and butterflies. The tidal creek had oysters that would spout like little geysers after they were exposed by the receeding tide.

Wyndham is a large resort with both timeshares and rentals. Refurbishing of some units were taking place, but the noise did not affect us because we did not stay in that area.

We booked our rental through Natalie who was very helpful and sensitive to our needs. Our unit was everything that she said it would be.

We hope to return and will only book through Natalie!

Restaurants we enjoyed:

The Plantation Grill
The Waterfront
The Pavillion
Buck's Pizza

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NatureLoversVirginia
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We stayed at the Wyndham Resort, which was about what one would expect for time share condos, except for the fact that we had no bath linens and had to call twice to get them. We took a tour of the ACE River Basin to see the river dolphins and it was well worth the cost. Day trips to Charleston and Beaufort are a great way to see beautiful homes, experience history, and eat some great food. Highpoints on Edisto island itself include the Pink Van Tour, the Gullah Food restaurant (where the tour departs and returns) and the Nature Conservation drive/trail. Probably the best food we had on the island itself was at the Old Post Office; the roasted scallops were awesome!

Reviewed 2 October 2009

We are from central va.,we are RCI,we love to travel. Check-in was good, people nice,rooms BAD-needed to be gutted....1st room was 304 sea oaks ,2nd was 311 sea oaks, 3rd was 724 marsh point( better) but old &in need of new furniture.Loved area bussines(people),most were nice( except sea cow rest.) RCI needs check these places out, people need to call RCI at first sign of problems.We bought in to this resort concept to avoid BAD vacation accommodations,this is not working as good as presented in sales rooms.... so....

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travlerva
Reviewed 1 October 2009

We stayed in a 4 bedroom Presidential unit at Southpoint. Checkin was smooth & friendly. I was nervous having read so many negative reviews but we had points that had to be used and love the beaches of South Carolina so we took a chance. Here are the pros & cons: PRO: The beaches are absolutely beautiful...dolphins swim right by and it is pristine. Highly recommend going down to the beach at night - the most beautiful display of stars & moonlight on the water. In the early morning, you can see deer tracks & turtle tracks on your morning beach walk. The island was deserted - like your own private retreat! I cannot say enough about the beaches! CON: The island is very secluded - at the end of a 26 mile 2 lane road through SC country. There is only one small grocery store on the island - can't imagine how crowded that must be in the summer. The unit we stayed in was huge - 3 floors plus lower level garage. The unit itself seemed fairly clean but the furnishings, while of good quality, were dented, banged up & extremely dirty. I was reluctant to actually sit on the couch. The kichen was well equipped with dishes for 14 but the water is TERRIBLE (inside of dishwasher just eaten away from the water...) The mattresses we slept on were very uncomfortable in that they were like marshmellows - way too soft, and the bed linens were of very poor quality. I would bring my own if I return. The unit itself had a musty odor throughout....which actually came home with us on our clothing. Probably can't be helped as you are on an island. All in all, I would definitely return to stay in Southpoint using points. (can't speak for other parts of the resort) I don't think I would pay to stay there though - would rent a house. It was one of the most relaxing vacations we've had...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We stayed at the Wyndham Ocean Ridge from 9/10 to 9/13. After reading recent reviews on here I was quite certain this would be a mistake. I am glad to say I did not have the experiences that some on here have had.

We arrived around 5PM and check in was quick enough. As an added touch they gave us a little bag of sample goodies for each guest in the room. This may have had something to do with the fact that the room was rented with timeshare points but I’m not sure. Our room was in Bay Point, overlooking the sound. The ground level is reserved for parking, and then there is a second floor unit and a third floor unit. You cannot drink the tap water in the units, but there is a filtration unit attached to the sink that you can use for drinking water and/or ice.

The two bedroom unit, two bathroom was pretty standard as far as what you would expect in a hotel room. The kitchen only had enough place settings for four people so we had to do dishes a lot. There was cookware, mixing bowls, kitchen utensils (no measuring cups), a blender, toaster, coffeemaker (it used cone shape filters) and teapot. Wyndham provided dishwashing liquid, dishwasher detergent, paper towels, garbage bags, one packet of decaf and one pack of regular coffee, and dish cloths and dish towel linens. There were also beach towels provided in the rooms, and bath towels, hand towels and washcloths in the bathrooms. Each bathroom also had little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and a bar of hand and facial soap.

There have been comments about cleanliness of the rooms. Ours seemed pretty clean with a couple minor things. The master bath floor had red wine spilled on it right in front of the Jacuzzi tub (very, very obvious that the floor had not been mopped) and the other bath had sand in the tub, which I did not feel to be a big issue since I wasn’t planning on sitting in it anyway. As for palmetto bugs…we did see three of them inside: one in the living room near the ceiling, one crawling across the kitchen floor in front of the sink and one in the second bedroom on the wall near the ceiling. I am terribly bug-phobic and therefore didn’t sleep well for fear one would crawl into bed with me. I could also very clearly hear the people in the room next to my bedroom and those upstairs as well. The units are not sound-proofed well at all so if you are a light sleeper I would recommend bringing ear plugs.

One nice thing about our unit’s location was that it was on the end of the island on the sound. From the balcony we watched the dolphins playing every day, which was pretty cool. The balconies are not real private—they are really just wooden decks with slatted floor boards. Probably not a problem if you are on the top floor, but not so nice if you are on the second floor and someone spills something above you. Also, if someone is outside having a conversation on their balcony, you can hear every word they say.

We did use the shuttle to the beach cabana one day, but from Bay Point it takes so long you’re better off driving or riding a bike if you have one. The nice thing about the cabana is that there are outside shower faucets to rinse off with.

We weren’t there long enough to really use much of the resort’s facilities so I can’t comment on those. They did give us a weekly activity sheet when we checked in. Most things that had a charge to them seemed overpriced (ex: $35 for a 1.5 hour dolphin cruise, by contrast we paid $50 for a 3 hour four-course dinner cruise in Charleston).

One thing I really wish the resort would do is add WI-FI to all the rooms. Right now it is only available in the lobby—the access code is available in there as well. Many times we were trying to nail down our plans for the day and would have loved to jump online to search things but it was not an option.

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves in Edisto Island and I would consider the Wyndham again if I were returning to Edisto Island.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple