Same day excursion Chennai to Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary & Nellore

Book in advance
from
$214.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Pulicat Lake
All reviews tamil nadu bird watching excellent place bird sanctuary bay of bengal must visit place fish market contact number boat man starting point chennai city brackish water life jackets boating experience birds beach season
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

As i loved my visit, when my brother and his wife asked for where to go on a sunday morning from chennai- i had no second thoughts but to insist on pullicat. The bike ride to pullicat is made very good with the green fields. One can stop and take some snaps for the memories. And at pullicat hired the same boat which i hired last time. Four of us went to the island where lake is meeting the sea. Spent an hour or two dripping , jumping and playing . The sea is bit rough. But the lake on the other end looked quiet gentle and soothing. We are the only people on the small island. After having enough - came back on the boat playing anthakshari. We are happy.
This place offers you a perfect weekend getaway from chennai.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Dilip K
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

After mixed reviews online I was little sceptical about visiting Pulicat Lake which was part of my Pune-chitradurga-chennai-ramewshwaram-Kanyakumari trip. after reading reviews on all sights plus TripAdvisor I set very low expectations with my family and started the drive from Porur at 11. The road till Pulicate village was surprisingly good. I had already called a fisherman Vinodh Kumar thru a contact number available on one of the reviews. As mentioned in other reviews few fisherman's offered boat ride but as I had promised Vinodh to meet at Pulicat bridge I declined the offer. Given a choice I should have taken a fisherman who speaks basic English. Being a non tamilian it was difficult to communicate with Vinodh but we still managed the ride for Rs 800 for family of 8 with 2 elderly people and a kid. There is a car parking before the pulicat bridge. Boats are parked next to this parking so no walking to catch the boat. One can see Pulicat Light house from here which is just after pulicat bridge. We insisted on lifejackets and fisherman arranged for 3 life jackets. Finally our journey started around 1.30-2 PM. While it was hot weather with 35 C it wasn't humid and once the motor boat started rolling it turned into a pleasant breeze. The boat parking area had an unbearable stink of fish and it was a challange to stand the even for few minutes. We enjoyed watching villagers walking in lake water to catch the fish. Vinodh took us to a small Island which had very clean and scenic beach on other side. We enjoyed the clean blue water and long beach. Then we proceeded to 2nd Island which he said is known as lunch Island. It was full of paper plates, liquor bottles and plastic. While beach on this Island was clean we didn't stop here and returned to starting point. We spotted few flamingos at distance and also jumping fish. In all the visit was worth and I am happy I made it to this place. I wanted to visit North side of lake towards sriharikota as well but didn't do it as I was content with this trip. This village doesn't have any restaurants so we came back home by 6 without having lunch. While coming back we crossed the bridge to see light house and pulicat Beach from car. We also visited the dutch cemetery which is known as Fort Geldria which is at the beginning of the village. I would recommend this trip for someone who love to explore. I didn't feel any safety issues here.

Date of experience: October 2017
9  Thank ShaileshDabs
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Started from Chennai at 4AM. Missed the sunrise in the lake. Rented a boat to cover two islands and bird watch area.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank BRSF12
Reviewed 16 July 2017

I was initially very skeptical to go there. But one sunday, we have started on bike from chennai. It is aroung 66 kms from chennai. Google Map shows the location well. After reaching the village the lake was no where to see. Initially I didn't had any clue. After some time local fisherman came to negotiate for boat ride. Reluctantly we have followed him - he has taken us to a shallow lake area and brought his boat. The boats here are engine driven fishing boats. We negotiated for around 700 rs . He had taken us to the beach island on the boat.

The boat ride is good. The beach is excellent. There was only one more family. we were there by around 08:00 Am. We jumped and danced in the pristine beach until we are exhausted and returned back. If one come early - they can have sunrise view and a enjoyable bath in the beach. Even though every thing looked safe and secure , it is better to go in groups to enjoy as well as be secure. Because the beach is island better go there in the early morning and return by 09:30 or 10:00.. You will not have any dress change room or showers. So prepare accordingly.

The boat riding person was saying that a longer ride will be more good. Any how we had enough for the day - and on reaching the shore - returned back home .

Overall the beach and the boat ride are real surprise and one way it is good that the place is not so popular - thats why its pristine beauty is still intact to some extent. will definitely go there again and again.

Date of experience: June 2017
6  Thank Dilip K
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Pulikat lake connects two islands that is not well known by many of them ...In pulicate lake about 10kms frm Periya kuppam the irrukam island s located ...Best location for hanging out with frnds. Make sure you have a local guy with you during visit ..Must visit with frnds

Date of experience: July 2017