See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We came as a family of 5 for 2 days and 1 night to discover the park of the Mauricie. We selected the place as it is located the closest to the park. We wanted to experience a night in the nature and selected the log cabin with no water and electricity ... up for a real family experience for our first trip to Canada
We had dinner in the evening, The food was slightly better than what one would usually get on a chain restaurant on a highway. The cost for the meal was slighly over of what we paid in downtown Manhattan a week before.
I must say that we slept very well, the log cabin was relatively clean and the slipping bags smelled fresh and clean. The furnace worked well. It was a very cosy experience. In the morning I first wake up to go shower at the collective showers on the other side of the domain. Nothing worked. No water. Seemingly frozen during the night. The landlord gave us access to a room in the main building to shower.
Breakfast was poor. Not what you would expect in America
The overall stay for one night cost us double than what we paid a day later at the Montreal located wonderful BnB A La Carte
We would not go back to Auberge du trappeur and we would not send our friends either.

Too bad as the kids very much enjoyed the indian camp visit and our guide, Ken, was extremely entertaining and knowledgeable

Room Tip: if you really want to go, choose the log cabin
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BrusselsGilles
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Hi!
My boyfriend and I stayed at "Auberge du Trappeur" for two nights. Overall, we really enjoyed the experience and would return. We were looking for a quiet getaway to observe Quebec's wildlife/landscape without travelling too far from home.
Here is my review:

Room: We stayed in a ''tourist friendly" tipi, meaning that they installed a wooden platform so we were not sleeping directly on the ground. Fire pit inside with lots of self-serve fire wood. Equipment is extra $ (matt/ sleeping bag/flashlight/towel/small bar soap) It all seems very simple, but it was comfortable, and quite large inside.

Shared Bath Facilities: Very well maintained. Although basic, it was exceptionally clean. No hairs clogging the shower drains, and no puddle of water accumulating at your feet- that's a big deal for me. I did not even have any spider encounters ! (3 showers/2 toilets/1sink)

Onsite Restaurant: Dinning was the least enjoyable part of the trip. Menu options,quality of produce and presentation is lacking. The service was good, but they really need to invest some effort into the restaurant. If you have any dietary restrictions, I highly recommend you notify them in advance because the Chef is not terribly accommodating. Better yet,bring your food from home.

Staff: It is my understanding that the establishment has been under new management since last year. The new owners,and all staff, are very friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately, I get the impression that the new owners do not have any prior experience in the hotel/restaurant industry. They do make every effort to please their guests, and with time they will surely improve the areas that are lacking.

Activities:
Bear Viewing: meeting time 18h30. 5 min. drive from hotel. Total time 1.5 hours.You are in a shelter and bears are approx. 100 m. away. We saw 3 bears, it's pretty much guaranteed that they will be there as they are fed. Great photo opportunities.
Moose Viewing / Canoe: meeting time 4h00.45 minute drive.Total canoeing time 2.5 hours. Level of difficulty: easy/no current on lake. Bring your binoculars. Unfortunately the only animal viewing was 2 frogs, but paddling on a peaceful lake as the sun rises was nice. If you think you will be upset to wake up at 3:30 am and not see a moose -stay in bed.

Cost: 2 people / 2 nights / prices in CAD
Tipi = 50$/night
Sleeping equipement=42$
Restaurant=170$ ( 2 x dinner + 2 x breakfast)
Activities= 200$ ( bear + moose viewing)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThePrimChicken
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed for 1 night, in a tepee, and were stupid enough to sign and pay IN ADVANCE -TIP INCLUDED!!!!!!- for the "gastronomic" dinner. The service was terrible. The waitress spilled my soup. This is fine, anyone can make a mistake I suppose, but she did not change my plate (so I had half a soup) and she DID NOT CLEAN THE MESS. When my son spilled some water on the table and I asked for some paper napkins she was so rudely disappointed that I could not believe it (and I had to ask twice). Meanwhile, I was eating with a soup puddle under my feet...

The gastronomic dinner was a bad joke, served on plastic tablecloth and with paper napkins. The soup was mainly yellow water with some floating objects (the alternative, a vegetable juice). The main dish was ok for the children and the dessert was simply INSULTING: half a see-through Panetone slice with some canned pear on top. There was no alternative. They had "run-out" of apple pie, although the restaurant was almost empty.

The tepee experience was nice, and the amerindian employee was really sweet with the kids. He advised us to leave most of our things in the car and I am so glad he did because the smell of smoke in my vanity case has not gone out yet four days after.

My advise: do not go there, unless your kids really want to sleep in a tepee and you cannot find an alternative place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank casimir67
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We stayed for 3 nights. The first night we were left alone, in the middle of nowhere, without any attendance and no possibility to eat. The third night we could only eat from 19.00h on. At day there was a constant annoying hard noise from the nearby museum (keep your windows very closed). Although there was WiFi, we were not allowed to use it. The towels and the room were not kept clean, the towels smelling dirty from the beginning. But we have to pay a lot of money, for what? They made a very clever use of our credit card. In all, a very disappointing visit, not characteristic of Canada.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Job_van_der_Meer
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We stayed here so that we could do the Moose and Beaver Kayak trip, which was amazing. The staff here a very accommodating and friendly, we ate in the hotel and the food was lovely. the room was nice but a bit stuffy need the windows open but very quiet , as this place is deep in the stick on the entrance to the National Park. The other activities they have on site at the hotel are good but do not cater to well for English speaking tourists .

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple