All reviews port stephens bus stop unique hostel german shepard swimming pool games room short drive possums australia mosquitoes souvenir supermarket retreat
Reviewed 11 April 2017

The staff was very nice and friendly, and the rooms were nice and clean. BUT this place was in the middle of nowhere, just off the side of the road. It was in the woods and kind of spooky. I am glad I had my sister with me, because I would've hated to stay here alone.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2017

Coming from New Castle with Port Stephen Coaches(bus) I arrived in Samurai through the help of google map. Samurai is just a 1 minute walk from the bus stop. Mr. Mark and Ms. sandy are approachable and friendly they welcome me by mentioning my name and it feels amazing. They tour me around and gave a clean bed set. The cottage where I stay is clean and very comfortable. Their bed is wooden and is nice because it is not making noise compare to the metallic double decker bed of other hostel. Aside form my bed my favourite part is the kitchen and dining area with the view of the rainforest. They have all the things you need for cooking and grilling. Coffee and tea is free and they have very affordable emergency food like instant noodles, eggs etc. They have swimming pool and a gaming room. They even have bicycle, and other stuff that you can borrow to play in the beach. The place may not be in the city centre but it is just around 10 to 15 minutes by bus from Salamander shopping Center and Nelson bay. Samurai Beach Bungalow is not just a place to stay...it is a good place to experience.

Room Tip: Use google map, or ask the information centre or ask the driver to drop you in Samurai Bungalow
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank abroadero
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

The by far the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Surrounded my rainforest and native bush you feel like your in the middle of a rainforest with the bonus of Nelson Bay 10mins down the road and beautiful beaches. Spacious rooms and a wicked bush kitchen which is great for socialising with other travellers and the local wildlife :-)

Stayed: March 2017
4  Thank Dan E
Reviewed 8 March 2017

We stayed for 3 nights in a double cabin with private bathroom and wow this is no ordinary YHA! Our cabin was clean and stylish and well equipped with fridge and microwave, cutlery etc and a well equipped bush kitchen is situated in the centre of the park hidden from view by dense bush. The swimming pool was very welcome, clean and refreshing. The hosts couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome and refreshed the linen after a couple of days, gave us advice about where to go and what to do. The bush kitchen was an experience! Like something out of Harry Potter - i.e no toast because an owl was asleep on the toaster (fair enough, he was there first) and a kookaburra perched on the railings observing us prepping breakfast. We also had two cracking thunder storms on two nights with lightening and rain thundering down while we cooked dinner under the canopy. Another first! Not to be missed if you like something a bit different.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Riever
Reviewed 17 January 2017

This is a interestingly located collection of bush bungalows. There is an open kitchen frequented by wildlife and it's located close to shops and beaches (a car is ideal though). The accomodation is adequate, we stayed in the family room (1 of 2) with shared bathroom. The mattress was well beyond expiry date and the bathroom too. Some of the newer bungalows maybe in better nick. The kids loved the nice deep pool and Bo the resident bear/dog. It's OK but I think overpriced for the family room for 4 at $175 per night for YHA members (min 5 in high season) considering its out of date double mattress and barely adequate shared bathroom. The kids bunks were more comfortable than the bed. Staff are friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for the new mattress rooms (if they exist)
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family