“Beautiful atmosphere, professional and friendly service”

Benny's American Bar & Grill
Ranked #7 of 216 Restaurants in Choeng Thale
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 39
Description: Inspired by the American bars of London that flourished in the golden age of travel in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Benny's American Bar & Grill serves classic cocktails and fresh grilled meats in an intimate and convivial setting between Surin and Bangtao beaches. Each Benny's cocktail has been selected to unveil the mystery of a certain time and place, from the dark glamour of a Hemingway bar in Cuba to the vitality of New York City to the pastel dreams of Venice and beyond. Benny's food menu highlights comfort and no-nonsense freshness, with flavourful pork ribs, steak tartare made tableside and New Zealand lamb among the star attractions. Come as a stranger, leave as a friend. Welcoming and warm, Benny's is the place where you're made feel at home, whether you've travelled here from across the globe or across the street. Founded in 2015 by Benedikt De Bellis, a long-term resident of Phuket from Italy, who brings his hospitality expertise working with several luxury hotels and restaurants in Europe and Asia to this new labour of love.
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

My husband and I ate here last night to celebrate our last night in Phuket having read the positive reviews posted. From start to finish it was a lovely experience. We were greeted quickly and although the restaurant was fully booked we were offered to eat at the bar. This turned out to be an excellent decision as we became enraptured watching the mixologist at work, I would definitely recommend the tiramisu cocktail or a gin and tonic (they have a great selection). We had the chili poppers to start and the roast chicken and burger as mains. The food was hot, juicy and well presented and staff were attentive throughout, including the owners who go to great lengths to ensure a pleasant evening. This is a romantic, intimate yet friendly restaurant with very hard working, smiley and professional staff. We ended up staying for an extra drink after dinner as we were enjoying the ambience. Thank you to Benny and the team for a lovely evening, we will certainly book when we are back in Phuket as we visit regularly. Just a note for those intimidated by low lighting and tackling a menu, a great added touch at Benny's is their backlit menus. It seems they have thought of everything and we came away relaxed and well fed.

1  Thank AndyandNatW

Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

Definitely worth a visit, even two if you try their special cocktails. High quality food, a great location and a beautiful atmosphere. The owner is amazing and has a wide range of experience within the cooking and restaurant management. Thank you for the great evening and your tasty and special cocktails!

1  Thank pepponzolo88
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

We came here for dinner and loved the atmosphere, friendly staff, delicious food & excellent service. Benny took the reservation for us and introduced himself before our dinner. We saw him preparing the steak tartare in front of another table. We had the beef tenderloin which was tender and made to our preferred medium to rare. My husband had the Laab Moo Tod which is a local food n tasted delicious & meaty. We tried the cream brûlée prepared at our table by one of the staff and we loved it. Only one WC and is clean. Medium range price restaurant. We enjoyed our dinner very much.

2  Thank Ualyma
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Superb food but pricey by local standards, that said it's still excellent value. Good staff, recommended to me by a friend of the owner, who spent time with us but I feel I would have got the same level of service irrespective.
Definitely well worth a visit, book as it's relatively small and for an open venue intimate.

2  Thank RickA992001
Reviewed 30 March 2017

I went to Benny's twice in the last couple of days. First at all I experienced always a very warm welcome. All the service team is just amazing with significant attention to detail. While enjoying world class drinks such as the signature Mai Tai or the unforgettable Negroni at the bar to start the evening with I was so friendly and professional treated in a way I know this from high end places in Singapore or fancy bars in London. For dinner I have had been seated in the beautiful small garden under the tropical moonlight - perfect. The ambiance is a twist of tropical exterior and bar style inside without any windows as a barrier which gives the place a unique character. For starter I had a superbe Crab Cake and some Laab Moo Tod which is a traditional dish from the North East of Thailand which gave it all a Thai touch. As main I choose mushroom ravioli - very fresh and juicy. I like the twist between Thai and international dishes through the courses. To close the dinner I had a Cafe Affogato as Ben, the owner of Benny's has Italian origins. Ben and his wife Annie are very passionate about food, dining and hospitality. All their international experiences are obvious. Both of them have been in the restaurant the two times I came for dinner and made the place for me as a single traveller very convenient and cozy. At the first moment I felt like being at home. Great conversation, excellent food in a nice ambiance and reasonable priced. For me a top value and nice dining experience in the middle of Phuket holiday areas Surin Beach and Bangtao Beach. Anne and Ben were assisting personally with catching a cab for the road back home which tells it all about their personality. I will be back.

1  Thank siam08