New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Marriott's Phuket Beach Club

Marriott's Phuket Beach Club
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Mai Khao
Macau, Ilhas, Macau
“excellent time share resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

worth to visit Phuket and stay at Marriott Phuket beach club. The 2 bedroom villa is huge which can accommodate more than 6 persons. They have south wing and north wing and I personally prefer to stay at North which i think it is a little bit away from the crowd. This year I stayed for 2 weeks and I did find time flies. My whole family wished to stay a little bit longer. staff are so friendly there especially the security guard at the hotel main entrance. there are also many restaurants there for us to choose. they are all priced reasonably. some may find the prices are cheap.

Room Tip: stay 2nd or 3rd floor of the villa
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Kurma M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

We became owners of Marriott's Phuket Beach Club in 2003, then again in 2004, then again in 2006!!! There wasn't much around the property at that time, we loved that aspect of it! We figured one week wasn't enough, so we bought 2 than the third.

Times have changed and there are now quite a few properties in Mai Khao. Each year we return, it's quite interesting to see how the area had grown.

The reason I haven't written a review of this property, is a selfish one. I didn't want others to discover our home away from home. Of course now I realize that's impossible, as it has jumped to number 1 on Trip advisors rating of hotels in the area.

Granted, MPBC is far from Patong, and the action you will find there. That's what we like about it. We always rent a car while staying here. We like to go grocery shopping, take trips around the island, go shopping in Patong, visit Rawai and Nai Yang for seafood, drive to Kin Dee for dinner, etc.

This year, there is a closer TESCO, only 20 minutes or so, which makes us happy, as we usually eat breakfast and lunch in our apartment.

MPBC is the best resort in the Marriott group. The Thai people, the culture, the cleanliness, the attention to detail is noted throughout the resort. The apartments were remodeled last year with flat screen tv's, ipod docking stations, new drapes/linens, etc. Lovely designs and very fresh looking.

The three pools all have a different design and feel. You can take your pick as to what pool suits your mood and personality.

Families will love this resort, there is an amazing kids club, wonderful workout room, many restaurants and my favorite bar, the Blue Bar, where parents relax on loungers after dark, enjoying their cocktails, and the children watch movies and eat popcorn!

The apartments are large, with 2 good sized bedrooms and bathrooms, a nice sized balcony with a table and 4 chairs, a decent kitchen to prepare your meals, a living/dining area with 6 chairs at the dining table, and very important, a washer/dryer, so you don't have to pack many clothes!

This year there are two baby elephants that come and visit the pool areas twice a day, around 11am and 4pm. Yaya, our favorite, is 23 months old and a real delight. She is a big hit with kids and adults alike.

I know Phuket is VERY far from California, however, we find ourselves returning year after year, because this truly is our "home away from home".

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank SFOF/A
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

We have been MVAP clients for 5 years and visited this resort over 10 times in that period. We have frequently taken family, friends and visitors with us on trips here. Generally speaking we love the resort. Apartments are amazing. Huge. Very clean. A great base and feels more like a 'home from home' than a hotel. Our daughter loves the kids club. There is a lady who works there called Popcorn who is so sweet and kind to the children and does all sorts of activities with them like making wind chimes and tissue art. The pool and recreation staff are also really lovely. I think their Manager is called Ge, but he really listens to what sort of activities you want to see so they have water aerobics, bike tours, pool volley and water polo to name a few. My main criticism is that this trip we found the resort at capacity and standards slipped. Check in took a long time, and the concierge was busy every time I went to discuss a boat trip. There was no latitude on a later check out ( of which we have always been accommodated in the past ) and despite being asssured that airport transfers were free 2 charges of THB 1500 for this found their way onto my bill. I guess as we have always experienced amazing se

Stayed August 2012
5 Thank RebeccaFRegan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here for business in 2010 and knew I had to come back with the family. So my wife and I and our 7 month and 3 year old spent 12 nights here in August 2012.

This is my favourite hotel for a number of reasons, but a couple of stand-outs:

1) Resort and room design. The design of the rooms and entire resort is exceptional. It's a obvious a great deal of though has gone into it. In addition beach club attendees do not suffer from a downgraded room (the beach club rooms are slightly further from the centre of the resort but have the same quality fitting, meaning a large family apartment at the same rate as a small hotel room).

2) Service. Take the wonderful Thai culture, their friendliness, gentleness and respectfulness and add excellent hospitality training and you get one of the best service experiences anywhere. The service experience was simply perfect for the bulk of the trip. Unfortunately I must deduct one star due to the check-out experience. On both occasions I have checked out I found the front desk staff in stark contrast to all other staff on the resort. They do not come across as friendly, more awkward and disinterested. A real spoiler of a finish that prevented me from walking feeling like I'd just had one of the best holiday experiences, or perhaps questioning the genuineness of the hotel.

3) Buffets. The various buffets are also a real highlight of this hotel, whether it's the breakfast buffet, or for dinner, Thai or International buffets.

4) Location. It doesn't get much better than this. Well, it does, but you just won't get the food and the service in north Queensland or Fiji!

5) Value. I've rated this very high since we booked well in advance in low season. Regular prices are still relatively good compared to full pricing of other resorts around the world.

There's too much to say that's good about this hotel, so instead a couple of criticisms:

1) Massage. You have a choice of the very cheap ($US12 p/h) beach hut massage or the overly expensive spa treatment. Unfortunately neither is very good quality. We get far better Thai massage almost anywhere in our home town for less than the Spa, but anywhere else in Phuket is better too. I found it was not worth my while to even pay for the beach hut massage even though it was dirt cheap since the massage was unsatisfying, the masseurs were more focused on their own chat and did not seem to have any training in the their own tradition.

2) Check-out experience. As mentioned above. I would also give the overall rating 5 stars if this were improved.

3) Taxis. The Mai Kao area seems to be under the influence of a cartel, so be prepared to pay 'tourist' prices to get in and out of the area, which you will want to do once or twice. At least the pricing is consistent and every operator will show you the same price card. Taxi drivers are friendly and helpful though and will wait up to 3 hours wherever you go for a slightly discounted return journey.

Room Tip: Families check the the 'Marriot Phuket Beach Club' not the 'JW Marriot Phuket'. It...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank BepsoThull
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

My wife and I spent a week at Marriott's Mai Khao Beach resort. The rooms are huge and luxurious. We used the kitchen facilities for our breakfasts, lunches and most dinners, because the restaurants onsite and nearby are quite expensive compared with typical Thai restuarants.
Although the kitchen utensils and crockery are mostly fine, the frying pans were buckled so did not sit properly on the stove-top. The bathroom is enormous, with both a shower and a large bath, but the shower grouting has mold so needs a bit more maintenance. The fridge was disappointing as it did not keep things as cold as we like. Maybe for cosmetic reasons there is an extra door outside the fridge, but we found this a nuisance. The cupboard doors above the stove are poorly designed, and are awkward to open. Nevertheless, the rooms are spacious and the furniture very comfortable. There are multiple flat-screen TVs as well as a DVD player, and the outdoor deck was great to relax in.
The swimming pools are nice, but it's a good 10 minute walk to the beach, and the beach itself was very disappointing. I live by a good surfing beach in Australia, and Mai Khao beach was quite inferior to what I expected. It was closed to swimming (rough weather, and also jellyfish). Also it rained almost every day, sometimes quite heavily. I found out later that August is in the middle of the rainy season, and that the best time to come is in the dry season (e.g. December, January, February).
One especially good thing about the resort is that wifi was free and the speed was good.
Adjacent to the resort is Turtle Village, which includes a minimarket, some restaurants, and some up-market stores for expensive goods. However, the region is quite isolated and you would need transport to go anywhere else, apart from a free shuttle to J W Marriott just down the road.
The resort is good place to relax. However, we found that there was very little for us to do there, since it is in an isolated region. We would have found it very boring to stay there the whole week without doing tours.
Fortunately we contacted Mr Kung (a local driver) before we arrived, and he made all the difference. He picked us up at the Phuket airport and called in to a supermarket so we could buy food and drinks etc at really cheap prices. We also hired him for a full day tour around Phang Nga and another full day tour around Phuket island and those days were the highlight of our stay. He speaks good English, is a very safe and considerate driver, and went out of his way to make our trip as enjoyable as possible. Before our second tour with him, my camera battery went flat, but he found a store where we could buy a universal battery charger and he arranged for our battery to be charged while he took us to some local sites (pearl outlet etc), then with our battery charged we were able to take plenty of photos for the rest of the tour. He took us to a number of temples and other interesting sites which we found fascinating, and we did an Elephant trek etc.. Mr Kung also took some very nice photos of my wife and me, and seems to have a real talent for photography. His charges were also cheaper than costs of other tours that we considered. I highly recommend Mr Kung, and we will certainly contact him again if we come back to Phuket. His phone number is +66 81 676 8747, his e-mail is anuwit3787@hotmail.com, and his website is www.drivers-phuket.com.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
0.9 km away
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
0.1 km away
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Phuket Beach Club? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK