1,959 results
All reviews la sala sea fire salt tree house private pool lagoon villa salt restaurant treehouse bar turtle village bath salts outdoor bathtub our honeymoon seafood coffee club day bed happy hour heaven on earth golf cart
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed at this lovely resort for a good 4 nights in Sept 2012.
My husband and I were traveling with our 7-month-old baby for a getaway from our hectic lives in HK....
I read about another review saying that they had a good list of baby products like a baby cot/playpen, highchair, a baby bath and toiletry for babies and even a bottle steriliser!!!! I was pretty pleased and decided to book this resort given its amazing pool villa and its baby friendliness.

Before embarking on the trip, I sent an email asking the resort to provide the cot, highchair, steriliser and bath. My email was quickly responded and I was assured the requests were all taken care of. They also volunteered that freshly prepared baby food was provided without charge and they sent me their menu. It was really thoughtful of them and I really like that they provided us the menu again upon check-in. I would not have printed it out anyway.

On arrival, we were warmly welcomed with a nice garland. The staff at the reception told us our villa was not ready (we arrived early like noon time before the usual check-in time). I was a bit upset because we were traveling with a small baby and would really want to settle in ASAP. But they offered to relax in their bar and offered us free drinks (non-alcoholic).

After about 1 hour, our villa was ready and we were escorted to it. Housekeeping staff was still in there cleaning up. I did not mind and they left within 2-3 minutes after we arrived. All the baby amenities were nicely arranged in places where they should be. How thoughtful....

They upgraded us to a villa with lagoon view, only that the doors to the lagoon view were not working and could not open. So I don't consider that an upgrade. But the villa itself was extraordinary. It was divided into a bedroom, walk-in closet and then a bathroom. The bed was really big (bigger than a king) with a nice daybed. The pool was very nice. Big enough to swim. My baby girl enjoyed it heaps. There was a turtle jetting water into the pool and that could be a bit noisy if u wanna take a nap in the afternoon. They turned it off at night. I would appreciate it if I could turn it on and off in the villa.

The thing I was not happy about is that we had been asked many times whether we were there on a promotion package. We were not and had no idea what they were talking about at first. We booked it through hotels.com. Afterwards, we realised the Anantara vacation Club was doing promotional 2 night packages at the resort to sell their membership. And the promotion package is a lot lot cheaper than what we have paid!!!! That kinda upsets me for paying the extra money. The promoters from the club, located right next to reception, asked us twice to attend their introductory seminar. Since we were only hanging out in the resort most of the time and they were offering attractive spa coupons upon attending (joining of the vacation club is not a must), we decided to give it a go. The vacation club introduction was quite pushy. So don't go if you think you are easily persuaded.

Breakfast was nice but variation could improve. We were there 4 days and had the same food for 4 days. I wish they could have changed a bit every day. The juice selection is the best I have ever had, not only fruit juices. They also had herbal juice like rosella juice, ginger juice, lemongrass tea etc. That was my favourite part of breakfast. The other restaurant sea fire salt offered nice Thai food and pizza/pasta. My husband liked their Anantara burger a lot!

We ordered the baby food twice only since she was only 7 months old and could not eat most of the food on the menu. The food was not pureed enough. The pieces were too big for a toothless 7 months to eat. But come on, I guess not many ppl traveled with such young babies. For families with kid older than 1 year old, you dont have to bring baby food!!

I had a spa on the third day of my stay. The scrub was good but the massage was horrible!!!! The masseuse had no idea where my pressure points were and I was only in pain instead of feeling relieved when she pressed. I tried to asked her to change the strength a couple times and it was not much of a difference so I had to bear with her for 90 minutes. When I was checking out at the spa, the receptionist asked me how my spa was and I told her I didnt like it. She was only blank, looked like she was dumbstruck by my blunt comment. She did not say anything and I just left. I was furious for the whole evening because this was not acceptable at a 5-star resort let alone in Thailand. I could have just randomly went to a roadside parlour and had a much better massage. I was also furious that the receptionist did not say anything after telling her my bad experience. The next afternoon, someone at the spa called in and apologised to me and offered a free compensatory massage. This massage was good and I felt much better afterwards.

The shortcoming to some is its location. It is indeed really far from Patong and anywhere else except the airport. However if you are not planning to leave the resort often during your stay, it will not bother u at all. There was a nearby small shopping centre called the turtle village. A minimart as well as a cafe came in handy. The food at the cafe was even better than the restaurants in the resort.

The staff is all v v friendly, maybe the most friendly we have encountered. Everyone was always smiling and was very courteous. They even offered to take care of our baby girl while we ate!! Ann from the restaurants and Pang from the front desk wore the biggest smile and loved playing with our baby.

To sum it up, it is a great resort to enjoy your vacation in. It is worth every dollar we paid. Nonetheless, I would have joined the promotion package if I knew before hand, its like 25-30% cheaper than booking through any agent. Only drawback is that you have to attend their seminar selling their membership.

Room Tip: go to anantara vacation club to check out the promotion...... its really good deal... any villa is good, dont think the ones with lagoon view is better, so save your money
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mattababie
AnantaraP, General Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your positive comments and I would like to apologize for the areas in which we fell short of meeting your expectations.

I am truly sorry that your spa experience was not enjoyable and I can assure you that I have addressed this with our spa team.

I have shared your feedback with our vacation club team and I am sorry that you found the presentation pushy.

I would be happy to talk with you personally and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Andrew Turner

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Most of the staff here were really helpful, and I wouldn't want to detract from there efforts in making our holiday great. The pool villa was really nice, the layout was great with a nice little private pool. The breakfast in the mornings was great with lots of variety. OK the thing I didn't like, its a brilliant peaceful setting, but every time we walk past the reception or on the beach, or in the turtle village, there's a sales rep ranting on about the Anantara Vacation Club, so we thought ok, we would go, as we're offered 6000Bht voucher if we listened for 90mins. This was the most painstaking 2 hours actually of my life, both me and my fiancé said 5 words throughout this presentation, and is absolutely draining to hear about it, and after they push you so hard for a sale. So after the presentation finished I was waiting for my vouchers, and then I was told we couldn't get them because we were under the age of 30, so I went through all that for nothing. Eventually I'm glad that we went to the managers drinks and mentioned this to Andrew, he managed to obtain 3000THB vouchers for us, so we got something in return.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Km76

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and positive comments about our resort. I am delighted that I had the chance to meet you in the tree house and learn about your experience with our vacation club. I am truly sorry that you did not have a positive experience with the presentation and I appreciate that you brought this to my attention so I was able to assist.

I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Andrew Turner

Reviewed 10 October 2012

My friend and I wanted a luxury holiday in Phuket and we definitely got it with Anantara. We arrived very early hours of the morning after a painful 1 hour queue through phuket immigration and wow...we were pleasantly impressed. The photos on the web are exactly how it looks. But you don't get the softer touches through only looking at the photos. The villas are awesome, the breakfast is superb, the staff super helpful. My friend got a bit sick one day and the hotel nurse was responsive and very helpful. Saved her a much higher cost of a doctor call out and she gave quite a few appropriate meds. I loved this place. Yes the only downside is that it's miles from anywhere and expensive local taxis (captive market!) + a 50 mins drive into patong. But if you're looking for a luxurious stay close to the airport then look no further. If you want to party every night then it's not the place for you.

thank you anantara for a wonderful introduction to your resorts...my aim now is to try out another one very soon and decide which one to celebrate my 40th birthday at next year! Hopefully they all match up to same expectations.

Room Tip: villa 71 was great...close enough to restaurants and lobby/entrance and not too far from pool/beach.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank zoe12583

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you left with such a positive impression of our resort.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Too much written abt this already so will cut to the chase...great ambience, great accommodation and feels like we just landed in heaven...hahaha, not used to so much luxury and pampering...all good...nothing negative to say..The breakfast, to die for....the longest bread and pastries table I have ever seen...for bread lovers....and by the way, the ducks and fish in this place gets fed with these leftover bread...so they enjoy the luxury too!!
One observation, saw one of the waitress pop a dried fruit fm the breakfast spread to her mouth...she didn't know I was watching...hahahha...not 5 star performance for a 5 star resort.. Ah, the Turtle Village, a blessing in disguise...try the Coffee Club, good food, good price, although not cheap but MUCH CHEAPER than the resort...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Taipei101

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and positive comments. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

My boyfriend planned a birthday getaway weekend for me from Oct 5-Oct 7. The villa was very nice and spacious. The SPA was excellent. The public pool and private beach were amazingly beautiful. We enjoyed our stay very much!

Not only the facility but the service was the best. We were all amazed by the service and little touches from the entire hotel staff. From receiving the personal hand writing welcome card written by the general manager to those cute and creative goodnight messages left on the leaves during the turndown service from the housekeepers, and the most surprisingly thing was, we went to the restaurant to have our last breakfast yesterday, right after my boyfriend and I took the food, sat down, there were about 5 restaurant staff showed up at our table with a nice chocolate cake and singing me birthday song!!! I was literally surprised and thought my boyfriend arranged it in advance. But my boyfriend said he didn’t arrange anything at all, that was prepared by the hotel…. I was speechless. One of the restaurant named "Kao" said to us, she knew we were checking out yesterday and was afraid that we wouldn't show up for breakfast so she had been waiting for us...." We both felt very touched by the service and the nice memory and experiences provided by the hotel. We will definitely come back again soon!!

I studied hotel management in college and have being travelling around staying different hotels. Think Anantara Phuket’s service is the best so far. It beats everything else! We would like to thank the entire team to make our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am truly delighted to read your feedback and to learn that you left our resort with such positive memories.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.