1,957 results
All reviews la sala sea fire salt tree house private pool lagoon villa salt restaurant treehouse bar turtle village bath salts outdoor bathtub our honeymoon seafood coffee club day bed happy hour heaven on earth golf cart
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I would be very honest acording to my experience in Anantara Villas Phuket.
I booked the hotel for 7 nights with my partner. The hotel rooms are good but poorly maintained. The staff were smilling all the time which is good but our plan that we will experience the hotel only in breakfast and sleeping only which happened the first 3 nights fourth night we were approached by a hotel staff that works in Anantara Vacation Club that asked us to spend 1 hour in a meeting and they will give us a gift at that stage I kind of liked the hotel so I thought of joining the meeting to invest so in future i can use the hotel facilities in different location such as Maldives etc. So we did go to the meeting and we met a guy called peter which was very nice at the start but at the end and after we disagreed to invest the guy start talking about reliogions and cultures which is very insulting. So i had to complain to the manager which was really nice guy and he convencied me to try out under this circumstances that i pay 1564 USD as a garantee and i will have 1 week time to think about and i will have the option to cancel with no fees. They gave us a gift which is 6000 THB voucher to use in the hotel resturant. So we did have dinner in SEA FIRE SAULT resturant very expensive the bill was over 7500 THB. The next day we had a Phi Phi island trip which my partner felt really sick to go was a good decision because after 3 hours she started vomitting and diarrhea not stop so after she reached the 6th vommit i knew it was food poisoning which i called reception for a doctor the first thing they said we will charge you. Seriously is that the first thing to say anyways i didnt care so i said just send the nerse which what they only had. The nurse arrived after 40 mins and after 2 calls to ask where was the nurse. After the nurse arrives Guess What " THE NURSE DOESNT SPEAK ENGLISH" So i had to communicate with her using signs with my hands i tried telling her that we need an injection because whatever you will give her she will vommit it out. So she gave us a tablet seriously again. So I have to call reception and ask for a doctor or a drive to go to the hospital. The hotel has no car incase an emergency so the receptionest says we will need 10-15 mins to arrange a taxi to drive you to the hospital which the closest is 45 mins drive. At this range my partner had vomitted 9 times and cant even walk. I had stomach cramps and sever headach which is a sign of a light food poisoning. Anyways i asked for the doctor to come so they said again we will charge you the first thing. I said i dont care send the doctor and make sure he has an injection and that he speaks english. This was sort out after the doctor comes which was really stressing situation. The thing is the day before we ate only breakfast and diiner which includes seafood and both was in the hotel. The day before we had dinner other than steak in a five star resturant. So i decided to cancel my investment in the vacation club. Arriving to my country which is more than 30 days now my bank sms me that the money 1,564 USD is deducted from my acount.
To be honest with you all, I will never ever come near this non-5 star hotel " non-5 star hotel the only reason i say it is because ive got treated much better in 3 star hotels before.

And this is my experience with ANANTARA

10  Thank Mohamed A
DoubleJ1977, Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Dear Mr. Mohamed,

Thank you for your recent feedback about our fine property and for taking the time to express your personal feelings on this open forum.

We treat the safety and security of our guests and team members with the utmost seriousness and importance, as such the hotel both adopts and excels in the highest international standard of health and hygiene systems and practices.

We have reviewed in the past weeks all food sampling tests that are routinely sent, all food receiving temperature records and all refrigeration control temperature checks and all are inline with our exacting standards. This is supported by zero reports of similar cases in October from Sea Fire Salt or any other food service area across the hotel.

I am confident based on this information that meals consumed outside the hotel, as you have stated, are likely the cause.

In regard to Vacation Club charges, as these operations are not directly under our control, please do contact us directly or the Vacation Club team directly for an immediate solution. Apologies for any delays experienced however from investigations no requests have been made for such assistance to date.

In closing thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the chance to discuss further your challenges.

Best regards,

Justin
Anantara Management Team

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed three nights here after having stayed at the Renaissance Resort next door. It is a different kind of resort, luxurious thai style, all villas. Villas are really well designed, spacious, open, all with a big private and gentle pool in a garden. Service was discreet and efficient. Common areas are elegant and very much private, access to pool and beach is convenient. It is not cheap but it is worth a visit, if you are in honeymoon this resort would be perfect. Their spa is first rate in all senses, do not miss it. At night the place is spectacular, they lit fires all over the place, quite romantic.

2  Thank TheLing
Reviewed 28 October 2011

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Anantara to celebrate our honeymoon/anniversary and we had the most amazing time. It is very rare that we stay at hotels with such high levels of service and comfort which we experienced during our stay which was way too short!

When we first arrived at the hotel we were immediately impressed with the whole ambiance of the hotel as all the torches were lit and we were greeted in a genuinely friendly manner. The check in process was easy and the receptionist took us to our fantastic room. We stayed in a Lagoon Villa and it immediately blew us away. The villa was extremely private and everything was just wonderful. The room itself had a comfy bed with a mosquito net, day bed, flat screen tv, changing room, huge bathroom with two sinks, indoor and outdoor rain shower, free WIFI, nice coffee maker and superb amenities.

It was so nice to stay at a hotel where they really pay attention to details such as a wonderful pillow spray, mosquito repellent for those who forgot, fresh welcome drink, fruit plate, an abundance of mineral water and not to mention the fantastic bath salt which was replenished every day. The private pool was of a decent size (not a glorified bathtub) and we spent many hours just frolicking around. There is also an outdoor Sala where you can get away from the baking sun where the mini bar is also located. I cannot find anything bad to say about the room and combine this with the fantastic pool outside, the Anantara truly was the best 5-star hotel we have ever stayed at.

The grounds of the hotel are very beautiful with very lush gardens that are kept immaculate by the hotel staff every day. Some of the rooms can be located a bit away from the restaurants and beach, however there are bikes available which you can use or you can call a golf buggy. Some of the bikes are indeed quite rusty; however this cannot be avoided due to the humidity and rain. The bikes did their work though and transported us wherever we needed to go if we were too lazy to walk.

The pool area was very nice with a standard pool bar which made good drinks. There are plenty of sun loungers however only a few in “the water” so these are the first to be occupied. At no point did we feel that the pool area was crowded, which was nice for a change. Guess this is also due to the fact that everyone has private pools in their rooms! The hotel had sun lotion and after sun spray available should you have forgotten yours, which was a nice touch.

Just a few hundred meters away from the pool is the beach that stretches more than 13 kilometers. The red flag was up due to strong winds/currents during our whole stay so unfortunately we did not swim in the ocean. We did walk down the unspoiled beach for a few kilometers without seeing any tourists which was very nice as we are not into crowded beaches. The only thing that bothered us was the amount of garbage which unfortunately was scattered everywhere. Such a shame.

The hotel has 2 restaurants as well as the Tree House bar where you can also order snacks (do make sure you go for sun downers at the Tree House!!). We ate at both restaurants and the food was of a decent standard with good wine lists. The breakfast buffet was of a typical 5-star standard with a decent spread, and nice daily specials made fresh by the chefs. Do make sure you try the corn fritters and breakfast burrito, which we loved! Most dishes are served every day which can get a bit boring, however a few are changed daily.

As the hotel only has 2 restaurants perhaps it would get somewhat monotonous if you stay more than 5 days, however as previously mentioned here on Tripadvisor, there are cheaper options available next door at the Turtle Village should you want a change of scenery.

The service at the hotel was absolutely fantastic. ALL the staff, whether in the reception, the restaurants, the pool area, cleaners, spa etc. were just wonderful. We did not experience any staff member who did not provide a kind service with a smile. This is something that we must applaud the Anantara. We truly felt taken care off and it was so nice to experience such a high standard of service.

As many have explained here on Tripadvisor, the Anantara is on the North-West part of Phuket pretty far away from everything. Patong is about an hour and half drive away while the airport is only about 15 minutes away. The hotel can arrange for a pick up which costs about 1300 baht, however we took a taxi which was only 500 baht. If you do not mind the drive, try to visit the White Box Restaurant close to Patong, which is a fine dining restaurant and is probably the best restaurant on the whole island. They will provide a free pick up however you have to pay for the taxi back which is around 1000 bath.

There were only two things that let us down during our stay. First off is the fact that the staff constantly ask you about the Vacation Club. The first day we were asked 5 times if we would like to attend the introduction meeting, which is a bit excessive. The second day “only” 3 times. We were however asked nicely and the staff were fine with us saying that we had no interest. Second thing was our experience at the spa when we went for a manicure/pedicure, which was not cheap. For that price we would expect the staff (who were nice btw) to have two sets of clippers/buffers/files etc. so they would not have to share their equipment and to pass it back and forth. Furthermore, the nail files and buffers were very used and almost did not have any effect. Finally, for the high price one would expect a foot/heel scrub to be included in the treatment…

If this is the first time you go to Phuket and you want to experience the night life, the Anantara is probably not in the best location. However if you want serenity and relaxation, you should definitely stay here. The service is impeccable and we had an absolutely amazing stay. We would not hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: All villas are private, however try to get a villa facing away from the walk way.
10  Thank KennyBen
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed here with my wife on our honeymoon and I must say I was amazed at how great this place was.

Pros: Amazing villas that are very modern,very spacious, and you always come back to your room smelling like roses.

Service is wonderful

The food overall is top quality, whether you order in the room, go to breakfast, or eat at the restaurant it is all top quality.

The gym has a good mix of equipment if you like to workout, nothing over the top but you can definitely maintain.

Cons: The only downside is the location is at least 45min taxi to get to any nice restaurants in Phuket Town, but that can be a positive if you don't want to be near there.

Overall: I'm into the details while vacationing and keep high standards. Anantara met my standards and more. I highly recommend coming here if you want a relaxing and romantic vacation. After staying in Anantara, Bali which was a total let down I came to appreciate this place even more. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Vicman1324
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in this hotel resort. We stayed 8 nights since we just wanted to get away from it all. It was perfect. The little villas are excellent and decorated very nicely. There is a small outside pool and a nice and cozy sitting area (sala) in every villa. The breakfast is sensational so is the food in the 3 available restaurants. There is small shopping area just around the corner (turtle village).

I actually live in a 5-star hotel 365 days a year, but this resort was a completely new level. The staff is so friendly and there is a lot of attention to detail (e.g. The waiters at the pool bar come around to to up your water, hand out little snacks/fruit etc.). Definitely highly recommended.

Room Tip: The mangrove villas are the best value for money.
1  Thank gest26