Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Yongding Earth Building
All reviews walk up public transportation places to visit cultural village fujian province laksa tickets carvings benefit bus motorbike pm chinese hours shape mins journey
Reviewed 15 April 2018

這是很特別!但太吵了!很小狹窄,繁忙時間去不佳 !有點商業化了,不斷有人向你來叫賣拍照雖然是善意。如果你是從B線行的,你會覺得它是大但沒有了傳統味!可能B缐有多些時間內面奇怪的形狀!但是我想說土樓真是人生中其中一個值得去見識的地方!

This is very special! But it's too noisy! Very small and narrow, bad hours go crazy ! It's a little commercial, and people are coming to sell you pictures, though they are kind. If you are from line B, you will feel it is big but no traditional flavor! It may be that line B has more strange shapes in time! But I want to say that Tulou is really one of the places worth seeing in life!

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

The Fujian Tulou (in Chinese: 土樓) are Chinese Hakka rural “castles” built in the mountain areas in Fujian Province of China. The Hakka Tulou in Fujian are usually a fortified buildings in circular shape.

One of my Hong Kong friends is fluent in Fujian dialect, and he organized a trip for a group of 9 adults and 5 children in the last week of December 2017. It was a pleasant, joyful tour that I enjoyed it a lot. We left Xiamen at the early morning by taking a private tour bus. And it took us 4.5 hours to arrive the rural mountains. So my tips are:

A. Book a private tour bus if budget allows
B. Get up early so you would have plenty of time to take photographs under the natural light with sunshine.

We were given the opportunity to walk up to one of the Tulou by paying RMB5 per person (same price for children). I strongly recommend you to spend a few bucks to take a look at the local community. Overall, it was a great experience for a city person like me to explore the unique local Hakka culture.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

I didn’t want to join a 1 day Chinese group tour from Xiamen. Such tours are typically rushed, with wasted time on shopping, lunch and end up seeing minimal places hurriedly. Being solo, it is not cost effective to hire a private car and guide. As such, I ventured on my own with some prior research and handling on the ground surprises.
To benefit like minded travelers, let me share with you my 2D1N trip to Yongding Tulou starting from Xiamen:

Transportation
First of all, the bus station leaving Xiamen to Yongding Tulou is NOT at Hubin Bus Station, as mentioned by many English websites. When I took a cab to go Hubin station, fortunately the driver informed me Hubin was not operational more than 2 years already. Long distance bus station is now at Fanghu Passenger Transport Centre (枋湖客运中心). I went there to reserve the 8:30am bus departing 3 days later. When purchasing ticket, inform counter staff you want to go to Yongding Tulou Bus Station (永定土楼汽车站).

It is always recommended to reserve a bus (especially train) seat for assurance as well as confirming departure times, which I couldn’t find from the web. This was one lesson I learnt touring in China. Fare is 58 rmb, journey is 3.5 hours, with 1 toilet break stop.

To purchase the return trip back to Xiamen, look out for the shop with the display Tulou Bus Station (土楼汽车站)). There are three direct buses from departing daily at 7:45 am, 12:50 pm, and 14:50 pm. Fare is 45 rmb. My return journey took about 4 hours due to peak period traffic at Xiamen.

Accomodation
Through baidu map and then correlating to google map, I manage to find the Yongding Tulou bus stop. Hence, I chose a hotel within walking distance from bus stop, Yongding Mengtian Inn, which is inside HongKeng Cultural Village (洪坑村). Please see separate review of inn.

Purchasing Entrance Tickets
This is my first surprise. At Yongding Tulou bus stop, I could not walk directly to my inn as it was the exit gate. I needed the Tulou ticket to enter, which I had not purchase yet. I was told by the officer to walk 800m to the ticketing office at entrance gate. Dragging my luggage, I walked for a few minutes and asked an elderly man along the way. He told me distance is more than 1 km away. Without asking, he was kind to send me to the entrance gate using his motorbike. I was thankful and tipped him 10 rmb.

On hindsight, there are 2 options. First option is when taking bus from Xiamen, inform driver to alight at the entrance gate instead of Yongding Tulou bus stop. Second option is alight at Yongding Tulou bus stop, where the happenings are - hotels, eateries, exit gate, etc. Then arrange hotel owner or tout to send you to entrance gate.

At the ticketing office, I decided to purchase a combo ticket for Yongding and Chengqilou (承启楼) at 100 rmb. Fyi, individual ticket will be 90 rmb and 50 rmb respectively. Ticket is valid for 2 days.

Transportation to tulou clusters in other villages
Unfortunately, there is no public transportation to visit tulous in other villages (such as ChengQiLou & ChuXiLou). One has to hire a motorbike or a car, depending on number of travelers. As expected, agree on the places to visit and bargain on the cost.

Exploring Yongding tulous
At the entrance gate, I met a female guide and decided to hire her for the afternoon. After some bargaining, we agreed on 100 rmb to cover Yongding tulous as well as ChengQiLou.

For the remaining afternoon, the guide brought me to explore the Yongding tulous, which is inside the HongKeng Cultural Village (洪坑村). The main attraction is ZhenChengLou (振成楼), as well as other smaller tulous. The village is rather small, can be covered within 2 hours. After covering Yongding tulous, guide drove me with her motorbike to ChengQiLou, which is about 10 mins ride.

On hindsight, hire a guide if you are willing to pay to understand the history and details of the tulous’ architectures, carvings etc. Else it is possible to explore yourself.

For day 2 morning, I decided to visit ChuXiLou (初溪土楼). After breakfast, I headed to the exit and sure enough there were touts around. I got a motorbike driver to bring me to ChuXiLou and back, including waiting for me. We agreed on 100 rmb, after some bargaining. The ride was about 50 mins one way. Need to purchase separate entrance ticket 50 rmb. I spent about 2 hours at ChuXiLou exploring myself. Back in Yongding, I had my lunch before catching the 14:50 pm bus back to Xiamen.

Overall, it was a fulfilling adventure and I am glad I finally manage to visit the Hakka tulous. If you find this post helpful in planning your trip, kindly click "Helpful". Thanks so much.

9  Thank LG_Kay
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Visited this as part of the tour as my mother is Hakka and she wanted to see these buildings.

Interesting large communal house of the Hakkas and very well maintained. There are several round and square houses here but most people will visit this building.

Good photo opportunity and recommended to come with an English speaking guide if you don’t speak Mandarin.

Reviewed 18 April 2017

Very interesting place to visit, good to walk around the building and see the different areas. The building looks great from the outside in the round architecture and has nice decoration in the inside. Plenty of history

Reviewed 17 November 2016

Beautiful and impressive earthern buildings with some build hundred of years ago. Went with a tour guide who was very knowledgeable about the history, the construction and the culture and tradition of the people and family who live here. With written English materials not available, recommended to go with someone who could explain and provide more information about the place. But otherwise, it is simply good enough to spend more time to marvel at the various features of the buildings e.g the carvings, the cobblestone floor, the tiles used, the thick exterior wall and the many rooms inside of the building.
With the benefit of our tour guide who pointed out to us that the Fujian government has officially declared that the Hakka Tulou must be called Fujian Tulou because 70% of the residents of the tulous are MinNan speaking people, even though the building architecture was first designed and built by the Hakka.

1  Thank ongaiai
Reviewed 16 September 2016

Have been to many parts of China, but this trip to Yongding Tulou country is quite an awesome and inspiring experience. That the hakka people, out of necessity and grits, could construct these buildings practically in the middle of nowhere, is truly remarkable.
Heng kong, Gaobei, and especially Chuxi with its beautiful step paddy fields serving as background are wonderful places to visit.
If you have your own transport, drive along the road behind the tulou cluster and get close to the paddy fields Was there when the paddy was ready for harvest. Sea of golden paddy was a sight to behold. Nearby, one could also get on a swinging bridge for some fun.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

There are so many other tulous that it is unnecessary to visit this one. Especially before 4 pm. Avoid.

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

If you are not familiar or non Chinese speaking it is best to get a local guide so you can have a better understanding of the Hakka culture. Had not seen young locals around and majority of those we met were above 60s. They were quite shy so for non Chinese it is better you bring a local friend or guide.

It's a different lifestyle where families stay within the building. So good experience how these people live.

Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

The Tulou communities of Yongding's Hakka people are a must see sight. I've been living in China for two years and have visited many places here and I think the tulou of Fujian are really special. Everyone knows when they come that they will see impressive and interesting architecture but nobody mentions the stunning scenery and the incredible warmth of the Hakka people. The fact that many of these are very much still living breathing communities is fascinating. I especially recommend Chuxi and Hong Keng clusters. Try to visit Hong Keng cluster early to beat the crowds. And be sure to sit a while and chat to some locals over delicious locally grown tea! Though saying that there is very little English spoken around these parts so be ready to practice your Chinese! One more thing to note: public transportation between the tulou is pretty well non-existent so keep in mind you'll have to pay for taxis and/or motorbikes on top of entrance tickets. By china standards all in all mine was a fairly expensive trip (but totally worth it!); if you are not travelling alone it would be less pricy to get around.