“Artistic Solitude”

Broomhill Art Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Muddiford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Broomhill lies in one of the most glorious valleys in North Devon surrounded by hundreds of acres of woodland and bound by its own stream. The Broomhill Sculpture Park displays one of the largest permanent collections of contemporary art and sculpture in the South West. 300 sculptures by over 60 sculptors are sited in 10 acres of garden that present a wonderful balance between art and nature.

This place is quite fantastic and is apparently one of very few art hotels in the UK. During your stay you can not only walk around the gardens and view all of the sculptures, but you can even purchase them afterwards (if you bring a very big chequebook!!). The gardens were a little drab when we visited, (but it was December!!), but I would imagine that during the warmer months they are quite breath taking. An art gallery is situated in the main dining area of the hotel itself and has many many pictures to view and purchase.

The place caters for all sort of events such as weddings, large and small parties and corporate events (with its very own corporate facilities). The hotel is also renowned for its many Jazz events held throughout the year.

The rooms are very reasonably priced and you get alot for your money. They are very spacious and have everything you need to make your stay very comfortable, with beautiful views over the Devon countryside. The setting is very rural and therefore very quiet and makes for a very relaxing stay and a very quiet nights sleep.

The staff are a husband and wife combo (Dutch), and are two of the friendliest people you will ever meet in this business, who could not do enough to help you (especially if you like to drink tea!!).

The food is organic and sourced from the local area, which is probably why it tastes absolutely fantastic (the Morroccan food is especially nice). Even if you don’t stay at the hotel you should try out its restaurant, which is also very reasonably priced considering the standard.

If I was going to be very very fussy then I would have to say that the alcohol is a little pricey, but I suppose it is a hotel after all. Saying that, if you visit their website, you will find that the hotel does do a number of offers to bring the price of staying at the hotel down even further i.e. B&B and reduced price evening meal.

A must stop when visiting N. Devon.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaPetTuil
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Our visit was primarily to have Sunday lunch, but we arrived early and looked around the gardens. The sculpture garden is very extensive and with 300 pieces spread over quite a large woodland area, a good hour or more can be spent looking around. The setting is delightful with a stream running through the woodland, and various small lakes with interesting sculptures thoughtfully placed.

Lunch was served in a very stylish dining room, and was imaginative, well presented and delicious. We had 3 courses for £14.95, accompanied by a reasonably priced bottle of wine. The service was friendly and efficient. Overall, a very pleasant experience, and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank QuoVadis2008
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Well, me and my partner decided to get married in six weeks. I had already visited and ate at Broomhill and no other venue was on my mind for our wedding. After just a one meeting with Aniet, one of the proprietors, planning this wedding was no stress at all. Broomhill pretty much took care of everything.
The hotel has it all for a wedding. A ceremony room for our service, fantastic entertainment for the guests in the form of the sculpture garden, 6 unique and beautiful rooms for our party, OUTSTANDING food, a spacious and lovely gallery for our wedding breakfast and reception (including he most beautiful flower arrangements made by Aniet herself).
The atmosphere of this place is out of this world, I was probably the most relaxed bride to be on the night before the wedding. Sat by the fire with Rinus' delicious homemade biscuits and a pot of tea I simply did not realise that I had sat there for an hour with my thoughts and the contemporary art surrounding me.
All the food at Broomhill was of superior quality. A delicious breakfast with homemade sausages and bread, the mediterraen cuisine served at our wedding breakfast had been freshly prepared on the day with only the very best organic and local produce was remarkable. It was a culinary experience out of this world and delighted our guests.
The rooms were comfortable with a high standard of cleanliness. When we had more guests than previously first thought, the staff at Broomhill were very accommodating and ensured that everyone had a bed for the night.
I simply can't reiterate how amazing this place is and the people and staff who ensure our wedding day was totally amazing. Thanks to all at Broomhill.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I'd had lunch at Broomhill and knew the food was top notch, so we decided to stay for a romantic getaway.

The room was very big, for such a great price with a sofa, chairs and ample wardrobe space. We had a view over the gardens. The only disappointment was the bathroom was tiny. I like a good quality bathroom. And there was a really bright fire exit sign, which lit up the whole room all night. I had to try and cover it with something, otherwise I wouldn't have benefitted from that lovley rural darkness for the best night's sleep.

We were also disappointed that we couldn't eat dinner at the hotel because we were staying on a Monday. There was a pre-arranged dining time with a fixed meal (no choice), but it was too early for us, as we'd just had a snack post surfing. The food's so lovely there, that it was a bit of a blow, but we headed to a local pub instead.

The hotel is full of good quality art, not your usual cheesy seascapes and local water colours. These people obviously know their art and fill the hotel with it, so it's really worth a wander inside before going out to the magical sculpture garden. The beautiful wooded gardens are full of unsusual pieces hidden in trees, floating on the pond or lining the paths. Everything from figurative to abstract and conceptual pieces - fantastic!

Breakfast - one of the best I've ever had. Lovely yoghurt, fruit, homemade bread and then tasty local sausages, sauteed potatoes etc. Fabulous!

Would highly recommend. Great price, lovely people and loving attention to detail - everything a hotel should be.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the gardens.