“Much More Than a Cooking Class, New Friends, New Sights”
Review of Rita's Gourmet Goa

Rita's Gourmet Goa
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Dabolim
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Goa a well known tourist destination for its golden sand, charming people, heritage monuments is also popular for scrumptious food. So if you are interested in cooking and would like to learn more on culinary delight and taste of Indian & Goan Cuisine, then join us at Rita’s Gourmet Goa and unravel how an Indian kitchen comes out with such a varied nature of delectable spiced curries and delicious dishes. Enjoy a fun filled cooking session and savouring the delicious dishes in an outdoor garden kitchen. Rita's Gourmet offers a number of culinary workshops and food tours. To name a few : (1) The popular Five hours Cooking Class with Local Farmer’s Market tour (2) Three & Five days Comprehensive Cookery Workshop in Indian Cuisine and in exclusive Goan Cuisine (3) Shore Culinary tour for Cruise line Passengers (4) Three days Culinary & Heritage tour. Add value to your Goan holiday by joining us at Rita's Gourmet Goa and we will not only teach you all about Masalas, Curries, Chutneys, flavorful Indian delicacies but will also take you around on a rich culinary tour showcasing the spice plantation, local farmer's market tour, heritage museums showcasing culinary and agrarian artifacts and many more culinary experiences.
Reviewed 15 April 2015

I like cooking and had a short day to spend, off a cruise ship in GOA. I thought Rita's Gourmet would fit the bill. It WAS so much more. We went with two other people from the ship - and that was the class! Classes are small and hands on.

To save time, we first went to the local market and, met Rita and learned about the local fruits and vegetables, then the seafood. We purchased items that we cooked, later in the day. Then we went to Rita's home for a typical Indian breakfast. (Normally you would do this first, then go to the market, but the order we followed saved time due to our limited time). We met Rita's daughter and husband as well. (It felt as if we were invited into a friend's home rather than an impersonal cooking school.)

Next we went to her outside cooking area. She had two assistants as well. After reviewing the seasoning and spices that we would be working with, we learned about some of the differences between Goan and Indian dishes. We then started cooking.

We made Prawns & Vegetables Caldin, Fish Recheado, Galinha Cafreal (Chicken in Coriander &Mint Sauce), Navratna Korma (a vegetable dish) etc. We also made a Creme Caramel for desert. We were given excellent instructions and direction. All the cooking was done by us (students), under the watchful eyes of Rita and her assistants.

As the food was being taken into the house, and the table set, we spent some social time with Rita and her husband, Mukund. We spoke about cooking as well as life in India.

Then time to eat what we prepared. Wow! This was so much better and different than Indian food that I had had in the US. I've become a fan. I will now go and try to cook different Indian food at home.

This was a great experience. If you are in Goa, do this, you will be richer for it

5  Thank chiefchem
Rita_Shinde, Owner at Rita's Gourmet Goa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2015

Thankyou Phil for reviewing the cookery workshop experience during your short stay in Goa on a Cruise Ship. I am so happy that you & Jennifer totally enjoyed the day's culinary tour. It is our endeavor to extend the best to guests so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 April 2015

Rita's cooking class and market visit went beyond my expectations, even after having read the great reviews before we went. Her and her team were friendly, professional and accommodating of our requests. The menu was excellent and she really taught us how to make each dish, in a hands-on way. We were always looked after, from start to finish. The market visit was also excellent and informative. If you're looking for something to do off the beach, this is it!

5  Thank soulfultravelandfood

Greetings to you...!
Thankyou for reviewing the cookery workshop experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the day's cooking session and the market tour. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 12 April 2015

During a short stop in Goa while traveling through India I wanted to attend a local cooking class. The travel agency arranged to do that at Ritas Gourmet and it was an excellent experience!
We (girlfriend and myseld) arrived at 9:30 and were welcomed by Rita and her staff in the wonderful outdoor kitchen. We were surpised that there were no additional participants but it was cool have our own private class.
We went quickly through the plan of the half day class and started with a local breakfast which was prepared by the staff and we gave the final touch.
Then we went to the local market to buy some of the ingredients and Rita explained the different fruits and vegetables and how they are used in the different dishes.

Then we went back to start cooking Rissois de Camaro, Galinha Cafreal, Fish Recheado, Chicken Xacuti and Caramel Pudding as desert.
All recipes were presented and printed out for us and very well instructed while preparing the different dishes.
Rita is very dedicated to deliver a special experience and in addition to the local travel agencie's question if we have any allergies, she also asked if we were ok with the plan and reduced the chillies to adjust the level of spices very much to the liking of my gf - otherwise they would be very authentic Goan recipes.
After the preparation we enjoyed all the delicious dishes togehter with Rita and discussed the food and how to substitute diverse ingredients not available back home. She was also very interested in our life and culture and food back home and we had a very nice conversation.
Rita send some additional recipes I requested (e.g. Vindaloo) via email and also had a little present to take home with.
I would recommend this extraordinary cooking class to everyone!

5  Thank Rene_3027

Greetings to you...!
Thankyou for reviewing the cookery workshop experience. I am so glad that you & your gf enjoyed the day's cooking session. It was also sheer pleasure to know that you already had such a good knowledge in Indian Cuisine. I am sure you must have tried a couple of recipes learnt during the class in your kitchen too. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.
Thanks and Good Wishes,

Reviewed 12 April 2015

I do a cooking class every time I travel and this has been by far the best. Rita welcomed us so warmly into her kitchen and my friend and I had a wonderful day. We had a lovely breakfast to start before we visited the local market to buy ingredients. Rita taught us many things about the flavours and ingredients we would use. She kindly bought anything we thought was unusual or interesting for us to taste back at her home. We then began our cooking and due to the small class size of only 4, we were always hands-on. We made a great selection of Indo-Goan cuisine (appetizers, main courses, accompaniments and dessert) with plentiful refreshments of water, beer and juice. Rita's husband also joined us for a chat while we had our meal. It was lovely to see how involved and interested the whole family are in making sure we had a great time. Rita's kitchen is a wide open space, beautifully decorated. Rita is a knowledgable lady who goes the extra mile to make sure everyone is having a great time. We received a certificate, a recipe booklet and an apron at the end of the course. Rita also emailed a more comprenhensive recipe booklet and pictures taken during the class. I can't wait to make the dishes I have learnt with Rita's guidance. Highly recommend this great cooking class- it was the highlight of my trip to Goa.

2  Thank AisMc2013

Greetings to you...!
Thankyou Aisleen for appreciating and enjoying the cookery class at my place. Hope the recipes learnt will find place in your kitchen. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.
Thanks and Best Wishes

Reviewed 6 April 2015

I was in Goa on business and spent a day at Rita's in Dabolim, doing the Indian (rather than Goan) cookery day.

On early morning arrival (well 0930..........) we were warmly greeted by Rita, and were offered drinks and then a savoury breakfast, which we cooked ourselves (OK, some help from Rita.....). The well equipped kitchen was outdoors under cover in the garden of Rita and her husband's charming home. Two cheerful assistants did all the advance preparation of ingredients, which was much appreciated.

Next, down to the local market to select the ingredients for lunch. It was enlightening being with an expert who could identify all the exotic fruit and veg on view in this lively place.

Then back to the kitchen to cook a mid-morning snack and a generous lunch, which we ate inside Rita's home. Butter chicken and several different breads were the highlight for me, although everything was really good.......

Rita is a genuinely charming and humorous lady, who is both a talented cook and patient teacher. I will be back again on my next visit to Goa, for another course, without doubt.

In summary, I can't recommend Rita's highly enough..........

3  Thank CT53
Rita S, Owner at Rita's Gourmet Goa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2015

Greetings to you...!
Thankyou for reviewing the cookery workshop experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the day's cooking session. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.
Best Regards,