“Excellent cooking class with Goan specialties”
Review of Rita's Gourmet Goa

Rita's Gourmet Goa
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Dabolim
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Goa a well known tourist destination for its golden sand, charming people, heritage monuments is also popular for scrumptious food. So if you are interested in cooking and would like to learn more on culinary delight and taste of Indian & Goan Cuisine, then join us at Rita’s Gourmet Goa and unravel how an Indian kitchen comes out with such a varied nature of delectable spiced curries and delicious dishes. Enjoy a fun filled cooking session and savouring the delicious dishes in an outdoor garden kitchen. Rita's Gourmet offers a number of culinary workshops and food tours. To name a few : (1) The popular Five hours Cooking Class with Local Farmer’s Market tour (2) Three & Five days Comprehensive Cookery Workshop in Indian Cuisine and in exclusive Goan Cuisine (3) Shore Culinary tour for Cruise line Passengers (4) Three days Culinary & Heritage tour. Add value to your Goan holiday by joining us at Rita's Gourmet Goa and we will not only teach you all about Masalas, Curries, Chutneys, flavorful Indian delicacies but will also take you around on a rich culinary tour showcasing the spice plantation, local farmer's market tour, heritage museums showcasing culinary and agrarian artifacts and many more culinary experiences.
Reviewed 12 April 2015

During a short stop in Goa while traveling through India I wanted to attend a local cooking class. The travel agency arranged to do that at Ritas Gourmet and it was an excellent experience!
We (girlfriend and myseld) arrived at 9:30 and were welcomed by Rita and her staff in the wonderful outdoor kitchen. We were surpised that there were no additional participants but it was cool have our own private class.
We went quickly through the plan of the half day class and started with a local breakfast which was prepared by the staff and we gave the final touch.
Then we went to the local market to buy some of the ingredients and Rita explained the different fruits and vegetables and how they are used in the different dishes.

Then we went back to start cooking Rissois de Camaro, Galinha Cafreal, Fish Recheado, Chicken Xacuti and Caramel Pudding as desert.
All recipes were presented and printed out for us and very well instructed while preparing the different dishes.
Rita is very dedicated to deliver a special experience and in addition to the local travel agencie's question if we have any allergies, she also asked if we were ok with the plan and reduced the chillies to adjust the level of spices very much to the liking of my gf - otherwise they would be very authentic Goan recipes.
After the preparation we enjoyed all the delicious dishes togehter with Rita and discussed the food and how to substitute diverse ingredients not available back home. She was also very interested in our life and culture and food back home and we had a very nice conversation.
Rita send some additional recipes I requested (e.g. Vindaloo) via email and also had a little present to take home with.
I would recommend this extraordinary cooking class to everyone!

Date of experience: March 2015
5  Thank Rene_3027
Rita_Shinde, Owner at Rita's Gourmet Goa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2015

Greetings to you...!
Thankyou for reviewing the cookery workshop experience. I am so glad that you & your gf enjoyed the day's cooking session. It was also sheer pleasure to know that you already had such a good knowledge in Indian Cuisine. I am sure you must have tried a couple of recipes learnt during the class in your kitchen too. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.
Thanks and Good Wishes,

"curry"
in 6 reviews
"market visit"

Reviewed 12 April 2015

I do a cooking class every time I travel and this has been by far the best. Rita welcomed us so warmly into her kitchen and my friend and I had a wonderful day. We had a lovely breakfast to start before we visited the local market to buy ingredients. Rita taught us many things about the flavours and ingredients we would use. She kindly bought anything we thought was unusual or interesting for us to taste back at her home. We then began our cooking and due to the small class size of only 4, we were always hands-on. We made a great selection of Indo-Goan cuisine (appetizers, main courses, accompaniments and dessert) with plentiful refreshments of water, beer and juice. Rita's husband also joined us for a chat while we had our meal. It was lovely to see how involved and interested the whole family are in making sure we had a great time. Rita's kitchen is a wide open space, beautifully decorated. Rita is a knowledgable lady who goes the extra mile to make sure everyone is having a great time. We received a certificate, a recipe booklet and an apron at the end of the course. Rita also emailed a more comprenhensive recipe booklet and pictures taken during the class. I can't wait to make the dishes I have learnt with Rita's guidance. Highly recommend this great cooking class- it was the highlight of my trip to Goa.

2  Thank AisMc2013

Greetings to you...!
Thankyou Aisleen for appreciating and enjoying the cookery class at my place. Hope the recipes learnt will find place in your kitchen. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.
Thanks and Best Wishes

Reviewed 6 April 2015

I was in Goa on business and spent a day at Rita's in Dabolim, doing the Indian (rather than Goan) cookery day.

On early morning arrival (well 0930..........) we were warmly greeted by Rita, and were offered drinks and then a savoury breakfast, which we cooked ourselves (OK, some help from Rita.....). The well equipped kitchen was outdoors under cover in the garden of Rita and her husband's charming home. Two cheerful assistants did all the advance preparation of ingredients, which was much appreciated.

Next, down to the local market to select the ingredients for lunch. It was enlightening being with an expert who could identify all the exotic fruit and veg on view in this lively place.

Then back to the kitchen to cook a mid-morning snack and a generous lunch, which we ate inside Rita's home. Butter chicken and several different breads were the highlight for me, although everything was really good.......

Rita is a genuinely charming and humorous lady, who is both a talented cook and patient teacher. I will be back again on my next visit to Goa, for another course, without doubt.

In summary, I can't recommend Rita's highly enough..........

3  Thank CT53
Rita S, Owner at Rita's Gourmet Goa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2015

Greetings to you...!
Thankyou for reviewing the cookery workshop experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the day's cooking session. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.

Reviewed 5 April 2015

I attended Rita's gourmet goa on a 5 day comprehensive cooking course. I work in the catering industry and when abroad find that taking part in cooking classes is the best way to learn about the local food and the best way to prepare it (other than actually working in a pro kitchen). After a fair bit of research i decided that Rita's was the best bet and I have to say the classes did not disappointe. We had exchanged emails previous to my visit to discuss my options and if there was anything specific I would like to cover.
The course was spread over 5 days, starting at 0930 and usually finishing somewhere between 1500/1600.
Each day started with a detailed printed itinerary of the day ahead, along with all the recipes printed on headed paper, a nice touch.
The day stated with bfast, which you prepare and cook yourself,sambar, coconut chutney, idlis, chapattis, roti, puri,stuffed paratha, tomato chutney and more spread over the days.
I particularly enjoyed this part of the course, everything was pretty quick and relatively easy, hot and fresh.
We would then have time to enjoy breakfast with a cup of chai and a chat.
It was then on to lunch preparation. We would cover around 8 different dishes per day, vegi, meat, fish, rice a dessert. All goan or goan/Portuguese
Chicken Cafreal, lamb vindaloo, fish curry rice, crab xec xec and many more.
Each dish was prepared freshly, masalas made as needed, sharks cleaned, crabs preped!
Any questions about the dishes (or any other dish for that matter) were answered clearly and with a smile.
Lunch would be served around 1530, with a cold beer, fresh coconut water or any other drink of choice.
All in all a very worth while experience hosted by a very knowledgeable and talented lady, Rita.

Date of experience: February 2015
3  Thank 51rossi

Greetings to you Ross...!
Thankyou for reviewing the cookery workshop experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the comprehensive 5 days cooking session in Goan Cuisine. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2015

My sister and I joined two others from our cruise ship for a fun day of cooking and shopping with Rita's Gourmet. Rita arranged a pickup from our ship, took us on a shopping adventure through the local market, and guided us through creating 7 authentic and tasty dishes! Her hospitality was superb! We had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Rita's husband and daughter. It was a treat to spend time with such a special family. After two delicious meals (breakfast upon our arrival and the great lunch we prepared) we sadly said farewell. We were on a tight time schedule and Rita made sure we were back on our ship in time for its sailing. Rita followed up with an e-packet of recipes and photos in addition to the packet we received in our class. It was a fabulous experience!

3  Thank CarolBart

Thankyou Carol for reviewing the culinary tour experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the day's culinary workshop. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.