Open today: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Review Highlights
Excellent cooking class!

We had an amazing experience at Rita’s Cookery class! When we arrived Rita and her husband Mukund... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Evav1806
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
via mobile
Perfect activity in Goa

The class was really great we learnt about all the spices and cooked different meals. Rita and her... read more

Reviewed 20 April 2022
floriang49
via mobile

All reviews cooking class her husband the kitchen market tour masala chai beautiful garden dishes goa instructions teacher teaching portuguese
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 March 2015 via mobile

Our third cruise port was Goa. Today Jennifer and Phil, a couple we met on the cruise ship, joined us for a memorable cooking class with Rita Shinde (www.Ritasgourmetgoa.com). We visited the local vegetable and fish markets to purchase ingredients and then cooked 7 dishes in Rita's outdoor kitchen. The food was great and Rita and her husband were thoughtful, generous hosts. Lunch was delish!!

Thank you Rita!!

Rita S, Owner at Rita's Gourmet Goa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2015

Greetings to you Nancy..!
Thankyou for reviewing the culinary tour experience. I am so glad that you enjoyed the day's culinary session. We try our best to extend the travellers the best so that they take back home memorable culinary experience from Goa.
Best Regards,

Rita Shinde

Reviewed 9 March 2015

We had a great day out with Rita, checking out the local food/fish market, cooking up a traditional Goan menu and learning alot about different ingredients/techniques. Upon arrival, we were served an Indian breakfast with chapati's, tomato chutney, coconut chutney, sambal and so on. It was delicious. Throughout the day, Rita and her friendly tea keep you hydrated and are on hand to assist and guide. There was a lot of food to eat afterwards too!

I can highly recommend this course and we look forward to returning next year to learn more.

Reviewed 26 February 2015

It was really a wonderful time spent at Rita's Gourmet cooking classes, loved every minute of it. As other reviewers have mentioned, the experience at Rita's is the real deal, a very rewarding day to spend, the day while learning / cooking / eating. Recently spent an absolutely brilliant 2 days at Rita's Gourmet learning how to prepare several Authentic Goan dishes. From the minute I arrived I felt at home and Rita and her staff made me feel so welcome. We reviewed the itinerary for the day followed by a great cup of Tea....Rita is a great host, really patient and the whole course was great. Regarding the food, it leans more toward home cooking. Her equipment, as in other cooking courses, resembles a home kitchen more than a restaurant and so do her techniques, ingredients, dishes, and tastes.The cooking exprience was really great & would like to go back to learn something new.................m coming back Rita....

Reviewed 22 February 2015

We had a truly wonderful time at this one-day class. Rita took her time to answer all our questions, and took us on a fascinating, unhurried tour of the marketplace in Vasco. Her kitchen and helpers are fantastic and, most importantly, you get to do much of the cooking yourself. Rita makes you feel at home. The food is amazing. I would definitely recommend this class for anyone travelling to Goa and at all interested in Goan cuisine.

Reviewed 14 February 2015

Ive taken cooking classes all over the world, not a chef, but a foodie who loves to cook. Generally, I like to do activities wherever I go instead of sightseeing. So, I booked a hotel nearby (the HQ, best in the area, see my review) and did 4 days of cooking classes with Rita. Alongside was a British chef, Rita herself, and 3 assistants.

The classes take place in her suburban backyard, she built a patio where she leads the classes. It is a very nice setup.

We usually arrived at 9.30 for breakfast. At first, it was waiting for us on arrival. But we both prefered to make it, so we would learn the recipes. She quickly picked up on that and adapted the program. Breakfast was a very nice touch, her husband usually showed up for a half hour or so and we chatted a lot. Rita is a very nice lady, and chatting with her was one of the highlights of the day. A great way to learn about everyday life in Goa and Goan culture. She speaks excellent English, and, to my surprise, Portuguese, which was a nice plus...

At around 10.30 we would start cooking (veg and non-veg, mostly Goan), generally 4 dishes, usually one or two appetizers, two or three main courses, and a dessert. Then, we'd have a break (eating some of the food we cooked) for about a half hour, and do two more dishes. Then we'd sit again, eat some more, chat... It would be over between 4-5 pm. A very nice way to spend the day, indeed.

Rita is very nice, a joy to be around. She is very attentive, and adapted the classes to our tastesand preferences, changing the program every time. I prefer to watch the instructor cook and take notes or make videos. The British guy liked to stir the pot and knead the dough. To each his own, she accommodated our preferences without us even having to ask. The assistants were also exceedingly nice. I was offered coconut water from the trees in the backyard (nice!). I never felt pressured for time, felt rushed or unwelcome. It was a great way to spend a holiday!

I thought the market tour would be dull, having done it multiple times around the world and elsewhere in India, but it was a lot of fun!

Regarding the food, it leans more toward home cooking. Her equipment, as in other cooking courses in India, resembles a home kitchen more than a restaurant and so do her techniques, ingredients, dishes, and tastes. It definitely is stuff you can make back home when you get there, which is a plus. On the flipside, more experienced, professional-minded people may prefer a more sophisticated arrangement altogether, including the food. That isn't easy to find in India, though.

Rita's attention to detail is incredible, in the end I got an apron and a certificate. Cynical me at first thought it funny, but it really was a nice touch. The recipe sheets, though, are incomplete and very summarized. Do take lots of notes!

All in all, a great experience and a fun holiday in Goa. I reserved one day (enough) for sightseeing in Old Goa, spice plantation, the Fort, and Panjim, for which I arranged a taxi for a day. There is nothing to see and do in Vasco itself, so staying at a nice hotel was a good strategy. I gave the beaches a pass.

Date of experience: January 2015