“Centara Karon”

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #20 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Just returned from our stay at Centara Karon, our first to visit to Thailand. We could not fault our stay, as it met all our expectations and more. The staff were attentive and accommodating. The facilities had something for all. The Centara is situated in a beautiful setting with exceptionally maintained gardens. The three pools gives options to families, couples or singles alike. The breakfast menu had varying options for everyone. The only issue was queuing to be seated at peak times, but nothing too long. Any snacks or room service meals were to be met with a high standard too. The surrounding area boasts a variety of restaurants to meet your tastes and we experienced particularly good food, at reasonable prices and service in Papaya and the Tandoori restaurant opposite. Both minutes away from the hotel. As recommended we also sampled the food at the Red Onion which was generally ok, however the service was horrendous. Didn't entice us back! Try and avoid the two fish restaurants on the main road on the opposite corners, seafood overpriced and small in quantity. There is a mobile crepe maker on the corner too and is a must at 40 bht. Most evenings we would sample the bars near by and again the hospitality was welcoming with prices somewhat cheaper than in the Centara. The Centara did have a happy hour at varying pool bars etc, perhaps earlier in the afternoon would have been a better option, as we usually headed back to our room by 5pm to relax before heading out for the evening. We tended to spend most of our time at the The Terraces pool and my only complaint was the continual playing of the same music disc. The resort itself generally provided bars with some live music nothing too rowdy. There were several bars with women to entice you in, perhaps not those you would want your children to experience, more for the male traveler. There are various excursions available, but remember to haggle for the best price. We opted for the elephant trekking and the trip to James Bond Island, and highly recommend both. Karon beach can be a little disappointing, as there is an appearance of being a tad dirty on the periphery but on the whole quite stunning. A little more attention should be given to its upkeep. Finally, we also used a local laundry service rather than the hotel and finished product was of a high quality for 95 bht. Hoping to go back sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: If you like to relax on your balcony after a day sunbathing its worth considering if you wish to fac...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank katienwul
Management77, Public Relations Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Sawasdee Kaa! katienwul,

Thank you very much to to sacrifice your valuable time for this review. We well acknowledged about music at the bar and currently we are doing update and add more music to every bars. However, we are appreciate that you like the resort and attentive from our staff. We are looking forward to welcome you once again on your return trip to us.

Wish you all the best!

Chutarat M.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Centara Karon Resort is situated in the town of Karon Beach but not actually on the beach itself. The resort is actually quite a large complex with three pools (one with a water slide and pool bar), a couple of restaurants, a couple of lounges, a spa, tennis courts and several buildings for accommodation.

The decor for the room we stayed in was starting to become a bit tired but the bed was comfortable, we got a great view of the pool, it had powerful air conditioning and the TV had access to many channels. The bathroom was functional, although our bath/shower's drainage was slightly clogged up since it took several minutes for the water to subside after taking a shower.

Service was generally good at the resort with all the staff greeting you with a friendly "Sa-wat-dee" every day. Unfortunately, we did encounter some slip-ups. Firstly, one of my friends was meant to get a room connecting to another two but it happens that someone was already staying in that one when we arrived. Consequently, he had to be moved to another room at the opposite end of the building, although he did get easy access to the pool as a result... We also had booked for a half-day which meant we were to check-out at 6:00pm at night instead of 12:00pm. Although we notified reception of this, they still disabled our keycards on that afternoon.

There were also a couple of occasions where towels were not provided by housekeeping and we ran out of toilet paper too - but they were minor issues that were easily resolved.

What I liked best about the resort was the awesome Lagoon pool and the good value of the resort considering how many facilities and amenities are available to you. What I liked least about the resort was that there were some slip-ups with respect to the booking and the fact that Karon Beach's nightlife is nothing compared to Patong (but if you're not pursuing that, it's perfect).

Room Tip: Having one of the ground floor Lagoon rooms means you will have direct access to the Lagoon pool. If...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rambutaan
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Sawasdee Rambutaan,
Thanks for taking the time to provide a review from your stay at Centara Karon Resort. Im pleased you enjoyed your time at the resort and that you found the staff so friendly. Regarding your 'slip ups', please understand interconnecting rooms are request only, we try our best to provide on arrival however this is not always available especially when occupancy is at capacity. All key cards are set to expire at check out time automatically, if you have a late check out , our receptionsit should assist to have your keys re-cut on the day of departure. I do apologise for the housekeeping shortcomings during your stay.
I pleased you had a good time and I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Regards

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Like the previous reviewer, things got off to a shaky start with the resort having overbooked - we were upgraded to a Tropicale Room for 2 nights and then had to move to a Lagoon Room which we had booked. We offered to pay for any upgrade to avoid moving but was told they were fully booked. When moving to the Lagoon Room there was a problem with the sliding door to the balcony not closing. After contacting reception things were sorted out fairly quickly & we were compensated with a complimentary dinner.
The Tropicale Room was just beautiful & is worth the extra money if you can. The Lagoon Rooms need a bit of a make-over but they are certainly quite spacious & have everything you need (there were 3 of us) & cleaned really well every day.
The grounds at the resort are really beautiful & well looked after - pools are great & all the kids seemed to really enjoy the water slides & tunnels to swim though. Azure restaurant had just the best staff who were very friendly & funny. There was a fairly decent selection of food for breakfast, e.g. juice, cereal, fruit, hot dishes, eggs any way you liked, pancakes, croissants.
The location is fantastic with markets, restaurants, beach etc right there at your doorstep.

Room Tip: Ground floor units are good for families with kids as you just walk out to the pool
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank happyplaceMelbourne

Sawsdee happyplaceMelbourne,
It was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay. Im delighted to read you found "The Tropicale Room was just beautiful and is worth the extra money". Im delighted you liked the gardens and surrounds and you found your rooms were well cleaned. Great to read your positive thoughts on our staff and your breakfast in Azure each morning. I am sorry your room type was not ready upon arrival and we will work towards not having guests move after their stay.
Thank you for your feedback and your comments will help us improve.
kind regards

Reviewed 26 July 2012

First of all, I will say that Centara Karon Resort is well worth your money - at around 2000 baht for a nice Honeymoon Deluxe Spa Suite, you cannot really go wrong with this.

My wife and I came here on a honeymoon. The challenge was to satisfy both her craving for creature comforts, such as clean rooms, comfortable beds, mulitple channel cable television, in room jacuzzi, (in this case on the balcony - which again was fine), swim up bars etc.....and balance that with my need to sample the culture, the sights, the nightlife and the general pulse of the community.

This was our compromise. I realised that she may have enjoyed the Centara Grand in Karon more for those creature comforts, but I would have been stuck (dislocated?) in an area that was far from anything else and difficult to explore on foot. With the Centara Karon Resort, you are less than a minute from the action. This is good and bad. There is a little excess noise from the nightlife to the Terrace Tower until 1-2am some nights, but this is ok, we are late sleepers and risers. It also means you are not far from the restaurants, market shopping (hang a right as you approach Beshert Laundry and bargain hard, most people don't know of this place) and TAILORS. I recommend Bob's Collection and Pooja Collection (which is on the resort grounds). For eating, go to Karon Cafe, Two Chefs, Bamboo House and the hotel dining itself, which is not bad, but a little more expensive (not by much) than what is outside.

You probably won't be self catering if you are in a hotel but the wife and I would often fill up on water (1.5 litre 15 baht) and other things at the Big 1 shopping centre on the same street. It's next to the Papa's restaurant where Elvis plays on Tuesdays and Fridays...look carefully.

Mostly, we find families here. Great place for kids, the Lagoon pool. We tried all the pools, the Tropix Pool being the most favoured for us. I used the gym most days, they also have tennis and table tennis, kids e-zone...for the price and the focus on the children (also the Camp Safari thing as well), I think adults with kids will be able to have a rest too :) As for us on a honeymoon, yes and no.

The staff were magnificent. Absolutely nothing too hard. Sometimes we waited a little long for room service, sometimes it gets to us a little cold, but always smiling and always happy to help. I had very pleasant experiences with Noi, Molly, Nok (lovely experience at the Thai cooking class!), all of our room service deliverers, our cleaner in the terraces was AMAZING...special mention to Rae, who works front desk, who kept trying to make our mattress more comfortable for us by adding extra layers of mattress comforters (we stopped at three) and arranged better pillows for us. Of course, it brings me to the point of sleep quality. The beds are very hard and weren't suited to us. Fellow travellers, be sure to ask for assistance with this, the staff are wonderful and helpful. We still couldn't get anywhere near the comfort we had hoped for or expected, but I don't believe there was much more that could be done, except to add ANOTHER mattress topper haha. I guess we can sleep when we get home :)

Finally, on the last night of my stay, I had a wonderful long talk with Mathieu, the trainee manager from Holland. He is very genial and personable, funny and revealed much information about much of Phuket that I haven't yet seen. I can't thank him enough for his and the other staff's efforts in finding my passport at check in (I left it on the plane - d'oh!).

Tips - Don't use the hotel laundry service. We couldn't find the laundry slip anywhere in the room, we just booked our laundry pick up (about 5 kgs - 1 load) and it came back washed and pressed for....nearly 2400 baht (about $80 Australian dollars). Go to Beshert Laundry straight out of the gates and it's 200 baht ($8) for the same amount of laundry. When the laundry was returned, I gasped. That was the budget gone for the day! Our fault though, the housekeeping lady showed us where the blank slip was located with prices.

Tip - DO get yourself on the Bonus Baht Bonanza. I had no idea about it until 4 days after I checked in (you have to organise within 24 hours of check in), whereby you post a credit at the hotel (of 10,000 baht and up) and you get a bonus few thousand of baht at restaurants, bars and spas within the complex. I WOULD HAVE DONE THIS HAD I KNOWN! It isn't well signed, but you will find it at the corner of reception. You will save hundreds, particularly those who are staying a long time. Read the rules of course to see if it fits your scenario.

Tip - The Cenvaree Spa is hit and miss. It is more expensive than the massage parlours on the street of course. Way more professional too. I do recommend Oriental Massage in Kata, who will pick you up and drop you off. It is far cheaper. Do be confident in using Pooja Collections (the onsite tailors). I got 10 shirts and a suit from here. Bargain hard. Shirts with cotton blend no more than 800 baht and less with a discount. I can vouch for their good quality (for the price).

Now that I have experienced Karon a little, next time I come I will be self-catering in an apartment. I no longer need the safety net of a hotel here - but it was good fun and a lovely hotel to stay at - I do recommend it. It would be five stars if I had kids, so bear that in mind.

Room Tip: Good view from 7th floor deluxe spa honeymoon suite. Watch for drips from A/c unit above. Like chi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Jared A

Sawasdee Jared A,
Firstly thank you for selecting our resort to spend your honeymoon. Also I appreciate your comprehensive review, Im sure readers will get excellent value from this. Some good thoughts on the Tailors, supermarket location, restaurants and bars and tips on the value of a convenient location. Great to read you found our "staff were magnificent. Absolutely nothing too hard." Your special mentions to Noi, Molly, Rae and Nok will be shared. Sorry to read you found the beds hard after having 3 mattress toppers added, although I am pleased our team tried to assist but I apologise we couldnt get it right for you. Yes Baht Bonanza is available at check in and we do try to highlight this offer amongst a number of other special offers, so I appreciate sometimes a guest can miss it. I agree the roadside laundry services are cheaper however our laundry is a reasonable price given we send it out to a proper commercial laundry and all care is taken with your garments. Spa Cenvaree likewise is more expensive than many of the massage parlours or bit spa's however about half the price of what you would find in most countries yet with international standards applied by our fully trained therapists. I do recommend to book in advance as it is often fully booked days in advance. Jared A, I note your comment about returning to an apartment nearby in Karon so I suggest consider Waterfront Suites by Centara, only a few hundred metres down the road.
Safe Travels and thanks for sharing such an excellent review.
Best Wishes

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Our holiday at Centara got off to a very shaky start! When I booked I emailed the hotel direct to request a ground floor room as I have a knee injury which would make walking up stairs a lot, a bit difficult. When we arrived at the hotel, we were given a 2nd floor room with the promise that we could move after 2 days. This wasn't ideal but better than nothing. We headed off down the street as our room wasn't quite ready, and got back round 2:30. We were then informed that one of our rooms would not be ready until 7:00 as the previous guests had a late checkout!! We were not impressed as we had also paid to check in at 2:00! The hotel did apologise and we were given a complimentary dinner for one night at the restaurant, which we used and really enjoyed. We finally checked in. After the first night we were not at all happy as there were so many problems with our room- no air conditioning, no hot water, blocked bath drain, safe that was broken, balcony doors that locked but had a gap of over a centimeter- not safe and plenty of room for mosquitoes!! I went and asked to speak to Darren the manager- I knew his name from his responses on the forum. He explained the logistical nightmare with coordinating bookings, but we weren't the only ones messed around at checkin- we heard quite a few stories from people we met during our time there that also had been mixed up- including another member of my family who checked in the same day as we did. He patiently listened to the problems we had had since check in and within an hour he had made an effort to get things fixed. He had a new hot water service installed, the air conditioning was fixed by 10:00 pm as well as the other problems. We were also given a complimentary cocktail for the inconvenience! I can understand mistakes happen, but this needs to be addressed as it is very frustrating when you arrive on your holiday and encounter all these problems. Darren did his best, under difficult circumstances as the hotel was heavily booked and we were glad to move after two nights to two ground floor lagoon deluxe rooms.
Once we got over the initial problems, we had a great time. Our new rooms were spacious and clean and everything functioned correctly!!! They lagoon deluxe rooms are a little outdated and could do with an upgrade. The beds were typical of most of Asia and the were very hard. We asked the housekeeping staff for an underlay which did help, but we should have asked for another one to make for a very comfortable sleep. We couldn't fault the cleaning staff- they were excellent, they always had a smile and a hello for us! When we went to dinner, the staff really looked after us and one of the waiters- Rolex, was very friendly and had a great joke with all the kids.
We found the breakfast had a wide variety that catered for everyone. Sometimes there was quite a long wait at one of the restaurants, so we went to Azure restaurant on a couple of mornings.
The pools and grounds at the resort were really well maintained so we enjoyed that aspect of our holiday. We spent our time between the Lagoon Pool and the Tropicale Pool and kids went between both pools. Everyone loved ice cream happy hour!
The resort is in a great position- nice and close to shops and restaurants. We ate at Karon Seafood, Yings, Papaya our favourite being Yings. Beautiful food and great staff. We were with a large extended family group of 27- 5 different families and they took this in their stride, moved furniture for us and wrote the orders in Family 1, Family 2 etc so the bill was easy. We didn't try Red Onion as it is quite small so the chance of 27 getting in to eat was impossible.
We enjoyed staying at Centara Karon and if we were to go back I would probably stay at the resort again, but I would probably stay in the Tropicale section and make use of the drinks and snacks during the day. The pool was also a bit quieter which was good.
Thank you to Darren for his prompt attention to fixing the problems we encountered and for the other staff for making the remainder of our trip enjoyable!

Room Tip: The corner rooms on the ground floor of Lagoon rooms are very spacious and quiet! Rooms in the middl...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank travelguru321

Sawasdee travelguru321,
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on this forum. Im pleased to read your holiday was positive after after your initial disappointment. My comments below are geared towards readers since we have already corresponded. Its important for readers to know we do not garantee interconnecting rooms nor bed type, we try our best and if we are at full occupancy this can be a challenge especially during school holiday periods when every guest has the same requirement. If any guest feels they are not getting satisfaction from their issues when addressing with our reception management then please do contact myself or Anders the Resident Manager. Every guest is different and I will try to meet everyones expectation as best as I can. I thank you for the opportunity to resolve your issues and the opoportunity to get your holiday on the path to the perfect experience.
Safe Travels and hopefully a return in the near future